PDA

View Full Version : No longer supporting FS2Phidget

CocnutAir
04-25-2009, 05:44 PM
As of today I will no longer be supporting or providing new releases of FS2Phidget. I am bailing out.

Regards,
Alan.

mpl330
04-25-2009, 06:02 PM
What's happening?
Nihad has pulled out, now Alan...????

Gsey
04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Im guessing he spent another one of his weekends implementing a new feature for a builder only to hear nothing back once again.

Gary

Shawn
04-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan, your work is a great contribution to cockpit building. Having done some aircraft modelling in the past I fully understand how frustrating it can be to invest a great deal of time into something, then give it away for free only to be inundated with complaints, requests etc. Good luck with your future endevours and thanks for FS2Phidgets, I'll be using it for years to come. :cool:

JBaymore
04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan, your work is a great contribution to cockpit building. Having done some aircraft modelling in the past I fully understand how frustrating it can be to invest a great deal of time into something, then give it away for free only to be inundated with complaints, requests etc. Good luck with your future endevours and thanks for FS2Phidgets, I'll be using it for years to come. :cool:

Ditto from me Alan. The tone of your rather succinct note above seems to indicate that someone gave you a raft of undeserved %$#@ recently.

What you've already done for the field is GREATLY appreciated by many folks.

Best of luck in whatever you are doing. I hope this does not mean that you've given up on flight simming and building your cockpit.

best,

....................john

Gsey
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Yep same here.

I will never forget the first time that I hooked up my stick shakers to a phidgets card, downloaded your great software, then pointed the nose to the sky. What a sensation.

Gary

mauriceb
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Thank you so much Alan for your immense, selfless contributions to flight simming. I will never forget the moment my autothrottles came to life with your great software.

You are a true gentleman and you deserve a hearty round of applause for the help you have provided over the years with no other motive than a love for aviation & for this great hobby. Your contributions will always be appreciated & will never be forgotten.

I do hope your reasons have nothing to do with health or other serious issues and I wish you & your family the very best now & in the future.

Best regards always,

Maurice

Matt Olieman
04-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear that Alan, but understandable.

If it wasn't for you, my pit wouldn't have all the functions it is capable of. I appreciate all the help you've given me and my fellow simmers.

Best wishes Alan.

Matt Olieman

David Withers
04-25-2009, 07:57 PM
have a nice break alan....put it all in a big box and sticky tape the lid shut.

then maybe one day....

warvet
04-26-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree with Matt O Alan, Matt and I spent many hours discussing FS2 Phidgets and your work is and always will be considered Stellar! Thanks my friend.

Tim

dnoize
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Alan.

I would like to thank you for all the effort you have put into supporting this community so far.

Whithough your work ALOT of us would have been stuck.

Thanks again

Stef

ANDYSMITH
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I read and enjoy this forum regularly but rarely ever post.

Now I feel guilty for not ever thanking Alan for alll his work.

I have been flight simming since the Commodore 64 days and it has brought many many hours of good fun, But I have honestly never had such a thrill as I had the first time I hit the Auto Throttle switch and saw my throttle levers move without me touching them.

I am shure that FS2phidgets will be an intregal part of my sim as long as I am simming.

So Thank you so much Alan for making my dream sim a reality!!!

I will think of you every time I takeoff and engage A/T.

ps. and when I put the grear up, look at the overhead for warning lights, check my trim position before T/O, and most recently when I land and have my spoiler handle deploy by itself.

Andy Smith

Matt Olieman
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I can't help myself, but I must reiterate my thanks to Alan.

I've been reading all of your comments and it has reminded me of the first 8/8/8 card I received in the mail. I needed it for my Throttle Quadrant and Engine switches, I can't recall the others uses at the moment. But when I got it, I headed straight for my cockpit, wired it, ran FS2Phidgets, made the assignments, calibrated my throttle, started my FS and was up and running within 30 minutes.

btw, I can't begin to tell you the number of hours I spent with EPIC and got nowhere.... :(

:D I was the happiest guy in the world at that moment. :D

Of course it wasn't long after that, I was in Phidgets and FS2Phidgets world and all because of Alan's countless hours of work on FS2Phidgets. His FREE contribution to our flight sim building community.

Thank you again, Alan :) :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

Melnato
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I wonder If Alan would consider hanging in there If he charged a fee like FSUIPC and WideView
(for example, not having a go at either) . I think his FS2Phidgets was always worth "something",
and would gladly support Alan financially for his work.

Nat

mauriceb
04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I wonder If Alan would consider hanging in there If he charged a fee like FSUIPC and WideView
(for example, not having a go at either) . I think his FS2Phidgets was always worth "something",
and would gladly support Alan financially for his work.

Nat

Ditto for me without a doubt.

Maurice

aviaparts
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you alan for your huge amount of contribution and dediction, I realy respect your descision alldough your imput will be missed by many many people.

All the best

PittsburghLever
04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain what FS2Phidgets is? I have been trying to figure that out for a while, but I came up empty handed. As did I when I tried to find the tool.

Trevor Hale
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
It is a software program available in our download section that allows you to interface/communicate with Phidgets boards and MSFS.

Trev

farrokh747
04-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Alan - once again, I want to thank you for your work over the years - I don't know where I would be with my sim without it - as many have said, FS2P has let us all do wonderfully complicated things that would have been very difficult, if not impossible for most of us - moreover, your support for a freeware package has been far far better than most payware...

Thank you sir once again for your time and generosity...!

Farrokh.

Shawn
04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I would have happily paid for FS2Phidgets and would still pay for the copy I got for free if it would help but I think the additional hassles of having to support a payware product would make the freeware support look like a walk in the park. People can be demanding enough with regards to something they got for free, imagine those same people after they paid for something.

It was only a couple of months ago that I got my first LED's to illuminate with FS2Phidgets. For a noob like me it was pretty cool to see the lights going on and off according to what was happening in the sim. Thanks again Alan, and if you ever want to sell a payware version to a guy who's seriously easy to please, keep me in mind :)

michelmvd
04-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Hi Alan,
I'm sorry to hear this, it is very sad news for the cockpitbuilding community. I hope your decission hasn't something to do with bad behavior of someone of the builders community, because if FS2Phighet wasn't there, my B744 cockpitpit project wouldn't have all the functions it is capable of. I appreciate all the help you've given me and my fellow simmers.
Many greetings

Michel

gokhotit
04-29-2009, 03:50 AM
I am most sad to hear this news.. My entire sim relies on your wnderful program.... all I run is phidets becaus of what you have done. I would never have gotten into this if it werent for you.:(:-(

gordo
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Alan,

Well done for creating a great little bit of software. Its does what it says on the tin and is an excellent interface for FS.

We used it with a small number of Phidgets on the original BA Concorde simulator, to help gives just that little bit extra functionality, that has been welcomed across the board.

I hope you are still able to help the community that use the software every now and again when minor incompatibilities arise.