PDA

View Full Version : Made the switch to X-Plane :O

SergeA340
04-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Well I have had my simulator building on hold for a few months for reasons. I finally decided id go back and complete my huge project. So I got FS9 working the way it should, ran great for a few weeks, then BAM! It died on me. FPS going through the roof, even after numourus tries of fixing it, it would not work, and then, disk 3 was scratched so I could not reinstall. They also dont sell it at stores anymore.

So I have always had problems with FS doing things like this to me where id have to reinstall it almost once a month. Me and my dad decided we'd give X-Plane a try.

Well we read some, my dad told me it will most likely be alot easier to run multiple displays on diffrent computers withought extra payware programs and has some other features.

Well I was in a total mess on thinking if I should stick with FS or make the switch to X-Plane. The next day, I went to an aviation school open house, was great, and they had a sim running. Looked like FS but at that moment, I decided id go with X-Plane.

So I just ordered it yesterday and im hoping that I made a correct decision here. It just seems that X-Plane will be better for my sim and seems to have better physics.

So my question is, do you guys run your simulators on X-Plane? Ive read that some of you have made the switch, but is that on your sims?
And would anyone recommend me some X-Plane cockpit links that may be helpfull? I cant seem to find any :(

Well I hope that wasnt too boring :)

DaveC3
04-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I bought X-Plane a couple of weeks ago just because the price was right $39. I still run FSX and also X-plane. In my opinion they both have strengths and weaknesses.

All my SIM hardware is built by me. No off-the-shelf devices except for yoke and rudder. I have built my own interfaces using FSUIPC(FS9) and SimConnect(FSX).

X-plane has its own interfaces called Plugins. If you are a programmer (C++) you can make your own Plugins to send or receive data to X-Plane. Good tutorials are out there. There is a guy that has written a Plugin that interface your FSUIPC applications to X-Plane(he has posted in this forum). You can also access data using UDP and ICOP protocol. Joysticks Yokes Rudders, USB devices that emulate joysticks are very easy to connect and assign. I like the flight model a litter better in X-plane. The scenery is better in FSX.

I will continue to use both.

Hope that helps a little

Take care

Dave

autocadplease
04-21-2009, 01:08 AM
X-plane is a great program, but I have always returned to FS.

You mention using multiple displays on different computers in xplane without extra payware - but if you check out xplane's website, it requires every computer on the network is to have its own copy of xplane which adds to the cost.

SergeA340
04-21-2009, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by own copy? Do you mean by installing X-Plane in each other computer? Or haveing to buy a whole new copy just for this?

If this is the case, im screwed, unless I can find another way through this. Sounds quite dumb of an idea.

Well ill hopefully receive the sim by the 23rd :) and hope for the best.

warvet
04-21-2009, 01:56 PM
LOL,
Im not sure where this info comes from but I have 1 copy of Xplane 9.22 and I am using it on 4 different computers, so maybe Im just lucky but thats the facts.Serge you may be interested in purchasing this i have it , its definitely better than anything else 340 in Xplane
http://petersuv.vs120062.hl-users.com/index_E.html
Tim

PDT 200
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Yep, it means buying a new copy for each computer! One for each outside view plus the one needed for the cockpit. I run 3 projectors and 3 monitors off 1 computer using FS9 and FSX. (my frame rates are in the mid to upper 20's) I tried X-Plane but am not going to invest in at least 3 more computers (need to be the same spec as the main to run X-Plane, can't use old clunkers laying around) as well as the 3 new copies at $39.00 each. X-Plane is nice and the flight dynamics are great BUT it is NOT a low cost alternative to MSFS. If X-Plane really wanted to win the hearts and souls of MSFS people then it needs to allow for undocking of the various views to allow multiple monitors without needing multiple computers.
Regards,
Brian

Trevor Hale
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
LOL,
Im not sure where this info comes from but I have 1 copy of Xplane 9.22 and I am using it on 4 different computers,
Tim

LOL@Tim you might want to check with Laminar.. I would be willing to bet this is against their EULA. They do specify one copy of X-Plane per computer.

But I am sure you already knew that... Darn Rules :)

Trev

PDT 200
04-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Don't know how you managed that but straight from the owners manual
Chapter 2:

X-Plane allows the use of any number of screens to depict anything you like. You can use multiple computers to drive multiple monitors and thereby network up to about 20 screens showing any combination of views you can imagine. If your computer is especially powerful, you can also use a video splitter (check out the 'Triple Head to Go' splitter, made by Matrix) to drive three forward visuals with one machine. You can than use a second machine to drive your cockpit screen and IOS.

From the X-Plane forum 4/10/08:
If I use multiple computers with multiple versions of xplane, does that mean I need to buy multiple versions of xplane or can I just install the one version on multiple machines to run as slaves to the master installation?

Reply:4/11/08:
Technically you will need one disk per machine to overcome the disk-check. In V7 you could just have the slave machines in demo mode and they would work OK, but in later versions there is a box that appears in the middle of the window after the demo period has expired.

So it seems that a copy is required for each machine.
Regards,
Brian

SergeA340
04-21-2009, 03:29 PM
LOL,
Im not sure where this info comes from but I have 1 copy of Xplane 9.22 and I am using it on 4 different computers, so maybe Im just lucky but thats the facts.Serge you may be interested in purchasing this i have it , its definitely better than anything else 340 in Xplane
http://petersuv.vs120062.hl-users.com/index_E.html
Tim

Oh sounds great! Are you using a method to have all the disk in one computer? Or Just installed and ran?

And thanks SOOOOO much for that Airbus, I was looking for one like that and it even features FBW!!! :-o

Well ill try and see how it runs on multiple computers and wish the best.

Warvet, are you using X-Plane for your full simulator?

EDIT: Well just found out the Airbus is payware :'( doubt my parents would give me the money now after buying X-Plane

autocadplease
04-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Right from xplane's website:

Level-1 X-Plane sim: Standard Retail (requires one X-Plane DVD for each copy of X-Plane on the network)

A level-1 sim is what you get when you download X-Plane from this site and use it for whatever you want, with no USB keys plugged in. You can network many copies of X-Plane to act as external visuals, external cockpits, instructor stations, and the like. Just get one X-Plane DVD for each computer in your X-Plane network. This system could never be certified by the FAA or any other authority for loggable flight-training, because it does not self-test for presence of flight controls or useable frame-rate. But, since you only need one X-Plane DVD for each computer, this setup is amazingly affordable and easy to assemble at almost no cost, even though you could never CERTIFY the system.

SergeA340
04-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok, so all ill need to do is make copies of the disk and run them on each computer. Hopefully it wont give trouble and this should not be illegal.

Thanks all, I really cant wait until I receive my copy :) Its in Orlando right now which is only like 2 hours away and will hopefully arrive tommorow or after.

autocadplease
04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Ok, so all ill need to do is make copies of the disk and run them on each computer. Hopefully it wont give trouble and this should not be illegal.

IMO, I think the EULA would consider it illegal.

SergeA340
04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Well if they dont want this to happen, they would have put in a security system on the program to stop this from happening. Mabey they have just overlooked this method of using 1 disk on all computers.

autocadplease
04-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I can say with 99.9% certainty, that if you copy the DVD it will not work on the other computers (I know there is some piracy protection on the DVD). If you don't have a valid DVD in the computer, the program will only work via the mouse (joysticks & yokes won't work) after 10 minutes - this is the demo mode.

Anyways, you will love X-plane and hope the DVD gets to you ASAP - I know what it is like to be waiting for something flight sim related! Have fun!

SergeA340
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Yea, I was thinking of it not working correctly, but ill try my secret ways hehe.

And yea, I just cant wait for it to arrive, really was inspired after I saw the full sim at my local aviation school, I really want to continue building :)

SergeA340
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Well X-Plane arrived 2 days early and now im installing the massive 73.5 gigs with all scenery =D I CANT wait to fly! Really looking forward to and will definantly go back to flying on Vatsim :)

DaveC3
04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
You do not have to make copies of the disk. X-plane only looks for the disk at start up. After the main PC loads, take the disk out and load the client. For those of you that need many PCs, this will a bit of a pain.