PDA

View Full Version : Question on GPS Switches

Buddym
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

I have never had my hands on a real GPS500, etc.... is the concentric switch unit on the lower right corner a dual rotary encoder or a dual concentric 2-way rotary switch. To me it looks like a twist-and-hold to scroll one dir, twist-and-hold the other dir to scroll the other direction.... Looks like something you could functionaly replicate with 4 seperate pushbuttons, but I would rather find out and use the right part, or use a dual encoder...

Thanks,
BuddyM

autocadplease
04-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't know the answer, but maybe you can find it in the real manual
http://www8.garmin.com/products/manual.jsp?product=010-00176-01

Leo Bodnar
04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Hi BuddyM,
I am most definitely sure that it's a dual concentric encoder. I have played with GPS500 a little bit but it just crossed my mind that I can't consciously remember the switch action. I would say if it was a return-to-centre switch it would be a very poor ergonomic decision as there is no tactile feedback on the number of steps taken in either direction - I would have made a mental note on this.
Cheers
Leo

Hi all,

I have never had my hands on a real GPS500, etc.... is the concentric switch unit on the lower right corner a dual rotary encoder or a dual concentric 2-way rotary switch. To me it looks like a twist-and-hold to scroll one dir, twist-and-hold the other dir to scroll the other direction.... Looks like something you could functionaly replicate with 4 seperate pushbuttons, but I would rather find out and use the right part, or use a dual encoder...

Thanks,
BuddyM

Buddym
04-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Leo!

That will make it easy to setup the controls with the awesome card I just bought from you. The card is a great addition to my sim hardware. I love the OpenCockpits cards too, it would be great if the I/O modules had those same connector terminals that you use on your cards! Maybe I can make my own, what are those identified as in a parts catalog?

I hopefully will have the GPS running in the next week or so and can post some pics, I just having trouble deciding on wether to use the MSFT GPS unit or an addon......

Thanks again,
BuddyM