PDA

View Full Version : Knobs

Crescent
03-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi guys. Can anyone come up with a place to get knobs like these? If not, how about ideas on what I can use that would look similar. I have access to a lathe and milling machine so I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

autocadplease
04-01-2009, 12:05 AM
If you have a lathe and a milling machine, you should be able to make some out of black UHMW polyethylene rod.

Some people use small plastic casters (the ones they use on chairs).

No Longer Active
04-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Hey,

As mentioned you could easily make these from using a lathe using rod, alternatively you could cut 'slices' from wooden baton and then 'spin' the slice on the lathe and create the curve, just do 1 half at a time, then do the other half. Then prime, sand and paint!

BTW what aircraft is that picture?

Thanks

Alex

phil744
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Might sound daft but ive seen kitchen draw handles that look like those, pop down to home depot and have a look around there, worked out for me a few times

Crescent
04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Some good suggestions guys...thanks. I do have access to a lathe and milling machine, so I'll see what I can come up with.

That throttle quadrant is from an Avro Lancaster. In the next few weeks I should be able to post pics of the completed throttle quadrant. I originally built the main part from wood, but have since gone to aluminum and the result so far is amazing. I'm currently waiting on the faceplates to be engraved and in the meantime I have to finish the knobs and handles.