View Full Version : 727 Eyebrow Question

03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
From the picture, what type light goes here? Or is it a light. Looks like some type of module for a flood type light for the main instrument panel. Perhaps there is a picture somewhere that show what it or what it lights. Thanks in advance.

Michael Carter
03-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know of any light that mounts where your arrow is located. The speaker mount is just above this, and the cockpit lights above the speaker. But the Grimes light is on the inside frame of 4L & R.

03-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes the speakers are in their own box just aft of it. I wonder if it was some type of option. Web search returned nothing. Seems silly to have this opening without a reason. No air ducts up there either. Maybe I'll add some lights in Phase II.

Michael Carter
03-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I just thought of something. If that has tapped holes in it, it's where the forward part of the quarter ceiling panel mounts. There should be two if this is so.

I didn't think about this until sitting in the cockpit earlier looking up and thinking about your question.

There has to be some framework under the plastic for it to mount to.

project 727
03-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Guys

I was told by a ex 727 pilot that what your pointing to in the picture is a well trimmed metal pocket in the eyebrow trimming made without sharp edges and used to place your hand in it so you can propel your but (body) vertically upward in the air while you adjust your seats vertical height with your other hand. It works great !!!

The handles located at the upper outer edges of the L1 and R1 windows are for propelling yourself forward while you adjust your seats horizontal position (as I'm sure we all already know).

The area you highlighted also happens to serve the purpose Mike figured out.

If the pocket area you pointed at serves another purpose, its not mentioned in the TWA or AMERICAN AIRLINES 727 pilot manuals we have nor in the American Airlines 727 maintenance manual we have. Our guest pilot did not know of any other function. It is not used for a light fixture.

I'll take a picture of this area next time I go flying and post it.

Joe Maldonado
www.xsn.net/project727 (http://www.xsn.net/project727)

03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Joe! That makes perfect sense. I have the eyebrows back on now but not the seats in. I'll use that next time they are in. And there are two nut plates for the other panel to mate over the eyebrow. I have a mishmash of panels from 2 aircraft. They must of been undergoing an inspection at the same time. D-ABKC & D-HBKC, former mine.

Michael Carter
03-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Looks a lot like what I fly. ;)

If you feel the urge to start singing German beer drinking songs, at least you'll know why:


03-31-2009, 08:33 AM
By the looks of the eyebrow liners I have, the hole seems to be used for seat adjusting purposes. :) Quite noticeable "handprints" there... :)

03-31-2009, 10:04 AM
By the looks of the eyebrow liners I have, the hole seems to be used for seat adjusting purposes. :) Quite noticeable "handprints" there... :)

As dirty as my pit was there were no handprints to lead me to that conclusion. Thanks for the confimation answer.

Michael Carter
03-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I've never seen that opening in a photo. I'd sure like to get a look at it.

03-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll snap a picture of it this afternoon. Maybe Joe will beat me to it.

03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Here's two images of just the eyebrow plastic lining, right side:



03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
You can also see the "archway" cutout where the map lights are mounted.

Michael Carter
03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Cool!!! I never knew this existed.

Thanks for the photos! ;)