PDA

View Full Version : Joystick input issue

daveb
03-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Using a joyrider design to drive a CH 568 joystick into my sim. The plans have the joystick extended onto the bottom of the seat via a bungy. Tried that and found it quite unrealistic. Tried mounting the pot in the gimble frame hinge doing a direct drive. Better, but very sensitive and not workable. Next try was a test rig that converts my roll movement via a chain and cog. This set up allows me to gear things for up to the 270 degree movement of the 10K linear pot. It's still too jerky.

The problem seems that while I can get movement over a good range, the pot is only active for about 30 degrees and then it is set in software calibration. So whatever I do doesn’t really reflect movement well. I tried several different pots and some were better than others. That 30 degrees is too critical for my application.
<O:p</O:p

What I’d like to do is modify the input somehow so that a wider range of movement is seen by the input and so smoothing out what is happening in the cockpit. I don’t understand circuits much beyond continuity but could follow directions if any kind person can point to a diagram or have a suggestion?
<O:p</O:p

Appreciate any help at all, its my first question here and I’m all out of ideas. Looking at other posts I feel like I’m swatting a fly with a hammer asking you guys!

Westozy
03-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Dave,

I will write up an explanation of how I modified a Microsoft sidewinder joystick for a set of Spitfire flight controls that I am building for one of our members. I'll get some pics and repost here in the next couple of days....stay tuned!

Regards,

Gwyn, "Westozy"

daveb
04-06-2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the offer, still interested but I have made a solution after all.

Using the joystick pot I've mounted two arms encased in a dampener that expands the movement taken from one side of my gimbal frame. Perhaps not too eligant but it makes a very smooth roll on the sim that matches the cockpit movement. I remain electronically dyslectic. :roll:

_________
Dave