PDA

View Full Version : A moan on ebay links.

Geremy Britton
03-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Recently i have seen a constant increase in members posting ebay links on the forum showing one item or another.

I might be moaning a little here, but to start a whole thread on a particular item on ebay - with you don't even own, is unesseccary and getting monotonous. This section is for 'off site articles for sale' so i would say feel free to promote your own product if you have listed it online and you are the seller, however i think it is down to the individual to find the specific parts they require themself on ebay otherwise.

One instance there was a 737 panel i was watching, next day it was posted on here and the price shot up (For obvious reasons). I hope i'm not sounding selfish but ebay is the site for a bargain but if everything is copied and pasted onto here, which to be honest is the target market, people might aswell not bother trawling through hundreds of pages like myself looking for the bargains, which takes a lot of time.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with me here, but that's just my view. After all we are here to ask questions on cockpit building. Which means I think we should leave the selling to the professionals in that area, and up to the builder to find parts for themself.

Regards

Joe Cygan
03-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I personally like when people post e-bay auction links on mycokpit. I see it as more an asset than an obstacle.

tomenglish2000
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I also see it as a positive. It gives other users a chance to see a part that might be just what they are looking for. If it wasn't posted here they may not see it at all. Keeping it to yourself is selfish, and to be honest if you really want the part just bid the most!

It is unfortunate that what you were watching saw a price hike when it was posted here. It has happened to me on parts in the past. I was not annoyed though because I know that someone wanted it more than I did. I don't begrudge them the opportunity. Arguably parts are only worth what other people were willing to pay, and if that is more than we can afford then tough.

I feel that this post is akin to the other posts that I have seen from users complaining that they cannot afford anything and that the panel manufacturers are clearly profiteering. This is an expensive hobby and unfortunately for those with less to spend they will have to be content with MDF panels held together with elastic bands. You get what you pay for.

So if panel X costs $$$$ or a part on eBay cost £££ and you can't afford it, perhaps you should start to save up because they are usually worth every penny.

Tom.

BHawthorne
03-28-2009, 04:40 PM
One can choose to dig through ebay's thousands of listings or not daily, I appreciate when people post them here. I think it's selfish to be mad about someone posting something you bid on. It's just the luck of the draw.

Jackpilot
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Monotonous!!! Give me an "autobreak"
I am one posting interesting items when I see them..
Why? because I have time to browse, which some members cant afford....and do you think that I have any interest promoting those items?
None, I am just trying to help members to get a good part.
Geremy, I can buy them all and put them back on Ebay for a profit, according to your rationale, I would then be OK to post about it!!
Makes sense? Do'nt think so.

Tell you one case.
was looking for an APU Egt gauge , came up the Kratos brand new.
Was a fight, and several times it went for $ 80+,.
I waited a few months, just got the same item yesterday for the asking first bid of $24. No more interest. Success on Ebay is spelled p.a.t.i.e.n.c.e
This forum is, according to you "to ask questions on cockpit building"
it's goal is also to volunteer useful information,... whether you like it or not.
jack

warvet
03-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Sounds like your out voted there Geremy :) Sorry mate. And I know im always out spoken too much for my own good but I dont really give a hoot. So yes you do sound like your moaning and you making that statement is 100% selfish mate and you know it , but saying you don't want to appear selfish lol doesnt make it any less selfish but is only a way to try to cover the fact that you know your being selfish, and dont want us too think badly of you. This hobby has always been about sharing! Matt and Trevor dont charge anyone to be here, they do it out of goodness for all. I think you may want to rethink your position on this cause in 10 years I have been in this hobby, what i love most is the sharing , equality and respect each builder has and is willing to contribute to the good of others. Also its just as easy for any or most builders looking for a similar part will come across your precious site in which your praying noone will find while you secretly bid on it.So thinking that way is in my opinion contrary to why this whole community is as great as it is. JMO

Tim

ak49er
03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
This site has alot of users, a alot. But there are alot of other sites as well, internationally. I think the instance of a post here, possibly reaching 20,000 site users, is just a drop in the bucket as far as exposure for these auctions.

I too have bid on an item and then watched the price rise out of control after a post. I guess others really wanted it more than I.

But I have also retracted a bid after the astutue members of this and other forums pointed out a well-known scam artist that was posting on ebay last winter from Asia, thanks-guys. Saved me some bones.

Better luck.

tomenglish2000
03-29-2009, 05:16 AM
Yes that is the other bonus to posting Ebay stuff here. Other users may recognise a bad dealer or a suspicious part listing and hopefully stop people from loosing money.

Didnt think of it from that angle ak49er, good call!

Tom.

No Longer Active
03-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi,

Im always looking for parts for GA for my sim, alot of stuff is on ebay, alot more is on ebayUSA, I see aviation as a whole as expensive, if your trying to 'simulate' aviation in any way then expect the cost to be just as high, bargains come when you least expect them in my eyes, ebay has a global viewing of millions, yes, millions of people have the right to bid for parts! On the odd blue moon you may only have a few people bidding for them and you may get a bargain, often than not you will have a lot of bidders, hence ebay is GLOBAL, its the 'worlds market place' and there are alot of people that come to this market.

I fully respect that MyCockpit.org has thousands of commercial aviation simmers and only a handfull of GA simmers, when looking for GA parts i always come across thousands of boeing parts etc , and when i do, i will post them on here!

WHY? Because i feel that its my contribution to the MyCockpit community, regardless if im GA or not.

By me posting an ebay part on this site, this maybe the difference between completing a cockpit for some, or adding a mass of realism to their sim which maybe you cant build or design yourself, and by a person receiving an ebay part they might even open up the part to see how its made and share with the mycockpit community how you can build one yourself, which could save YOU more money than buying the part yourself.

There are a million advantages to posting ebay links on this site.

I am a 'link' poster and will forever more! Because altleast im doing my bit!

If i come across a part that i think could be of benefit to a sim builder than thats a job well done for me!...(well for now!)

You cant stop people posting ebay parts, because its a GLOBAL MARKET and not just a 737 GEZ Market!

Enuff' Said!

Matt Olieman
03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I've bought some good opportunities for my cockpit, because it was brought to our attention here.

Please do not stop!!!!

Thanks,
Matt Olieman

No Longer Active
03-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Matt.....

Theres no stoppin' me pal!

lol :)

Alex

AFCS_FBW_Engineer
03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
eeek....was it me posting about that 737 landing gear panel a few weeks ago?