PDA

View Full Version : Sad news (THY crash at AMS Schiphol)

Efe Cem Elci
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Unfortunately, a Turkish Airlines 737-800 has crashed while on final at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. Initial reports are that the airliner crashed 1-2 miles out and seperated into pieces, with one possible death and many serious injuries.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4598/thyams.jpg

airbus319
02-25-2009, 07:10 AM
It is a shame that we now have another tradgedy, 2009 is turning out to be a bad year for aviation accidents.

The aircraft landed with a high angle of attack which resulted in the 3 main sections of the fuselage separating, with those at the rear suffering the worst of the impact.

Everytime I hear of a crash now I immediately think firstly for those who have lost their lives and secondly about what was the cause of the crash, it's really important to me to know all the facts so that I will never make them in my piloting career and for someone who intends to be flying the 737NG soon this crash is worrying.

The lack of any fire could indicate a possibility of lack of fuel, I sincerely hope that this wasnt the case, although I dont wish for any unknown defects in the NG either.

My thoughts go to the Passengers and crew at this time

David.

dnoize
02-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Live footage from a dutch news service:

http://www.nos.nl/journaal24/wmv.html

In dutch.

Unfortunately more casualties have been reported (4 to 5)

Stef

Efe Cem Elci
02-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Yes unfortunately Dutch media are reporting 5 deaths while the Turkish Transportation Minister said they were not aware of any deaths. I feel such official statements are often rushed and more often than not are proven to be wrong or misinformed later on.

Some survivors have stated that there was turbulence and a sudden drop that might suggest a sudden wind or air pocket may have been a factor. As David mentioned, the airplane contacted terrain with a high angle of attack, causing the tail to break of while the rest of the airliner remained mainly intact.

dnoize
02-25-2009, 07:37 AM
According to the last witness reports given in the live footage of the link above the aircraft approached very slowly, high angle of attack, stalling the last bit of the flight dropping tail down.

reportedly dual engine failure. (lack of fuel ? )

Ofcourse these are all rumors and speculations, based on eye witness reports.
Theres a press meeting in an hour 13:30 dutch time) where we will probably hear the first facts.

Stef

ian@737ng.co.uk
02-25-2009, 09:00 AM
here's the BBC report on it......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7909683.stm

Joe Cygan
02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
2009 is becoming a bad year for airline accidents.

This is really sad and best wishes to everyone involved.

Efe Cem Elci
02-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately current reports show 9 deceased including 3 flight crew and various sources report the two bodies of the pilots being retrieved from the cockpit.

Michael Carter
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Judging from the appearance of the cockpit section that would have been difficult to survive.

dodiano
02-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Although it has been an accident Year so far... and I mean that many in less than 2 months... The survival rate has been very high which one way or another is a good news!! I hust hope we don;t have any others this year!!

Regards,

Roberto

Jake 747 400
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
This is very sad, and my thoughts go out to those involved and thier families.
Jake

tasmanet
02-26-2009, 12:21 AM
My thoughts go out to those involved and their families and friends .

I went to GE to have a look where it happened and to my
surprise found this landing at 18 R
http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/tasmanet/Justmadeit.jpg

Tas

Jackpilot
02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
My thoughts go out to those involved and their families and friends .

I went to GE to have a look where it happened and to my
surprise found this landing at 18 R

Tas

Ghost right wing???

MRK11E
02-28-2009, 01:56 AM
It's truly sad to see these things happen. My thoughts go out to those who have been struck by this tragedy