PDA

View Full Version : 737 throttle electronics

booah
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi im pretty much 100% noob when it comes to building cockpits. But everything has a first time hehe. Im wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction when it comes to the electronics in a 737 throttle quadrant. Im gonna try to build one myself, and im wondering if there is any good tutorial or something about the electronics setup. What can i use in the quadrant to connect to fsx, and also if its posible to link the quadrant with the simulators throttle movements;)

any help is much appreciated! And badly needed:)

Michael Carter
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Unless you worked for Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, or Lockheed, everyone was a 'noob' at one time.

The electronics are no big mystery.

You need some pots either linear or rotary, your choice, and an axix & button input card like Loe Bodnar's.

The hard part is the hardware construction. That's why they call it HARDware.

Welcome to the site.

Efe Cem Elci
02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
There is a nice detailed tutorial albeit in French at http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm. You can get it translated online with Google or one of those sites.

booah
02-23-2009, 11:30 AM
ok so i need pots to connect to throttle levers and flap and so on, connect them to a controll card, then with the proper setup in fsx/fs9 they will respond to changes the autopilot makes? thank you for the tutorial link

MartinK
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi ,

If you still can find a copy, PC-Pilot magazine issue 50 (last year's winter special) had a very nice and detailed write-up on the subject.
The article particularly puts the text next to the pictures you find on the link Efe gave you already.

You may want to contact the editors through www.pcpilot.net or the publisher through www.keypublishing.com to see if they can still supply you a copy.

Good luck!

Regards,
Martin

booah
02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
okok, il see if i can get a hold of it, but in the mean time does anyone know a good pot/parts store ? Is there a guide about conecting a small motor to the pot as well, making the whole thing move syncronised with the autopilot is the goal i have.

Michael Carter
02-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Autothrottle is a whole 'nuther matter.

Someone else will have to advise on that subject.

booah
02-23-2009, 12:24 PM
okok, thanks for your help m8, got a better understanding of it now ithink:o just one more question, where can i get software to controll/get the results from pots into fsx from the throttle quadrant

Rodney
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Why FSUIPC of course.

Geremy Britton
02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
Yep, Pots for the movement programmes via FSUIPC. Then push buttons from autopilot disengage and TOGA then if you're wanting it motorised too for when the throttle is in autopilot then that's much much more complex. Even i havn't gone that far with my own throttle. Neverthe less it can be done by using chains ans pulleys etc. But you'll have to read up on a couple of the posts in 'Gwyn's mechanical engineering forum' here for that.

BTW: I have that very issue of PC pilot and i'll recommend that tutorial in it.

Kind Regards

booah
02-23-2009, 05:48 PM
what type of pots do you use in your quadrants? Any good website that you can recomend?

Schematicsman
06-05-2009, 08:59 AM
[B]hi,there
I would like to know how to full replicate the 737 throttles in the tutorial from albeit in French at http://www.737ngproject.be/throttle.htm.

I have checked his site and doesn't have all the measurements for the throttle pieces .need help?
schematicsman here\!

Schematicsman
06-05-2009, 09:04 AM
ALso If you have the pilot magazine issue 50 ,could you foto copy the pages for the cockpit build and send in PDF or what ever file format nessecery in the download section of mycockpit.

because I have tried to attain a copy evryway possible and its imposible ? I hope you can
Also would you know the email address of the albeit in French 737,that has good designs so I could contact him and ask him a few questions?
help
thank you

MartinK
06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi there downunder,

I have sent the PC Pilot Mag Editor an e-mail asking for permission to make the photocopies you need. If they are OK with it I'll put them on the download section.

Cheers,

Martin

HondaCop
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi there downunder,

I have sent the PC Pilot Mag Editor an e-mail asking for permission to make the photocopies you need. If they are OK with it I'll put them on the download section.

Cheers,

Martin

That would be OUTSTANDING! Let's hope they grant permission and keep us posted on how it goes. Thanks!

xtreme3d
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi,

Can this pot be used in the TQ? Is anybody using it already?

Is made to connect to the Phidgets 8/8/8 Interface Kit.

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3252-Slider-60.aspx

Regards,

Pedro.

Joe Lavery
06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi Guys,

I wrote the article in PC Pilot and have written many more 737 related ones since, I also asked Key Publishing if I could post the pdf's on this site but permission was refused.
Once submitted the copyright belongs to them and sadly they don't allow reproductions.

I don't think issue 50 is available from the back issue dept either.

However if it's any use to you I gleaned a lot of information from Rudy's site at http://www.737ngproject.be/index.htm it's a superb build and source of referrence. You will also find detailed dimensions for the MDF substructure there.
As some one has already mentioned it is in french but simply copy the URL into google translate and it will translated into english.

Incidentally I get most of my electronics, switches etc. from Rapid Electronics. http://www.rapidonline.com

Hope that helps.

Regards

Joe.

mlscotti
06-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow...:D Ichecked out that site for the build your own 737 TQ and all i can say is WOW... I look like a hack master when i build my things.. Thats was definately a grade A project...And i was happy with my modified CH products TQ.

MartinK
06-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

It took a couple of days but I got word back from PC-Pilot magazine.
Unfortunately they will not let me post copies of the TQ building article but the good news is that they are VERY happy to send complimentary copies (see copy of e-mail message underneath).

Hi Martin,

I just heard back from our copyright people and we can’t give the go-ahead to post an electronic copy of the article on your website. Strictly speaking we do have a chargeable photocopying service for articles that are no longer available but I do on occasion give out free copies of articles for editorial purposes. I am still more than happy to send a free complimentary photocopy of the article if you want to forward my contact details on.

Kind regards,

Richard Benedikz

PC Pilot

In case you want a copy of the article just e-mail Richard Benedikz your mail address and it will be on it's way to you.

Richard's e-mail address is: richard.benedikz@keypublishing.com

Happy building!!!

Daveanne
06-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14662

I know its a bit long-winded, but it describes the way i managed to acheive it.

Daveanne