PDA

View Full Version : XP will not shut down

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Since adding the new video card to drive the third monitor, Windows will not shut down.

The shutdown window is clickable, and the two aux monitors turn off, and you can hear the drive spin down.

The main monitor still display the "Windows is now shutting down" message, but the computer never completely shuts off. I have to hold the button for five seconds to turn it off.

Any ideas why the addition of a video card would cause this? It's nothing serious and more of an annoyance than anything, but does anyone have any ideas why this happens?

Deesystems
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Michael,

I recall a MS download for this, Ill dig it up in the am for you.

Dee

shafian
02-17-2009, 12:38 AM
Hi michael,

I had a similar problem. If you remember i asked you the question around NTFS and FAT32 ? I formatted my drives around the same time as you did.. Anyway, Can i ask whether you had all graphic cards attached on the motherboard when you installed windows? How does it behave if you unplug the monitors from the other graphic card and just leave this one going? What i did was remove the video drivers, uninstalling the hardware from within the device manager. shutting down windows and unplug pc from its power source. Remove and reinsert the graphic cards boot up again. Upon starting windows it obviously recognises new hardware. load the drivers and hopefully it should work. I think there may have originally been a problem with hardware registry and doing the above appears to have resolved it. Atleast for me anyway.. I hope you have some luck as well..

PS : Isn't it funny that things that used to run perfectly on the same OS before suddenly become a problem when we reinstall windows.

Let me know how you go..
Cheers
Shafi

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Thanks David. I'll check in the AM.

Shafi, this is not the same computer that I re-loaded Windows to. That system is running OK so far.

The FS computer runs fine too with no virus or infections, it just won't turn off.

AndyT
02-17-2009, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure which download D is referring to but there are about 15 different registry errors that will cause this exact thing to happen. Have you run a registry cleaner?

I can reccomend 3 of them to you. The rest are not worth the time IMHO.

Registry First Aid
Advanced System Care
System Mechanic

All three of these will clean tons of garbage from your registry and you will see substantial differences in stability if not speed.

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
I've heard that System Mechanic is especially good.

blueskydriver
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to suggest that you try using "System Restore" before you completely redo windows OS. Especially, after you add some software or new hardware that causes problems.

In fact, go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Restore and create a restore point before adding anything new; this way you'll have an ability to go back. However, if you didn't make a restore point, just use the calendar within system restore and select a "system checkpoint" that is before the problem occurred.

Finally, if you find that system restore does not work through windows, do the following:

1. Restart Computer
2. Just prior to the Windows Splash Screen, hit the F8 key (you have to time it and you might have to restart a couple of times to get it right)
3. On the menu, select restart with MSDOS prompt (might say MSDOS command prompt).
4. When you get into DOS, you might see example--> C:\Program files\whatever...just ignore that and type

cd\

This will put you in the root of the C drive (could be another letter like D, but you'll be in the root of the drive).
5. Now type the following text exactly:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Now press enter key, and then you'll get to the System Restore screen:

6. Select a point to go back too and the computer will restore and restart.

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to use that. It would wipe out the new panel configuration and the main FS .cfg file changes.

I'm not going through that again.

Deesystems
02-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Michael,

Did some thinking try some of these. I think its bios related,not sending a kill to the PSU.

APM/ACPI:
Check APM/ACPI open the Power Options applet in Control Panel. If there is an APM tab, make sure the “Enable Advanced Power Management Support” box is checked. (MSKB 313290 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313290))

APM/NT Legacy Node:
To enable this, right-click on the My Computer icon, click Properties | Hardware | Device Manager | View. Check the box labeled “Show Hidden Devices.” If it’s available on your computer, there will be a red X on the APM/NT Legacy Node. Try enabling it and see if this resolves the powerdown

Do you have the Welcome screen on startup (user Icons to log in) if you do try:
In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

Hive download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&DisplayLang=en
Dee

blueskydriver
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
Michael,

You could always backup those files automatically, if you have a good backup program. Then, if the computer goes into "a mind of it's own" mode, you could use system restore, and then just put the cfg files back in... At least you or anyone else would not lose everything that sometimes happens.

I've never had any problems with the cfg files after a restore, it was only after I changed FSX from SP1 to SP2. It was as if I never changed anything in the cfg's, so I had to redo them. And, I agree it sucks having to redo them.

I suppose that is the reason I started backing them up independently from backing up the entire drive...

John

Edit: I was going to find the link for the power options, but Dee beat me to it.

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi David, just got the PM and I'm trying to set it up now.

There is no user log on screen. It goes right into Windows. I'll check that APC power management thing.

ak49er
02-17-2009, 01:35 PM
My system does this but for different reasons. The MOBO was from a different case, I installed in in the case with Windows 2000 Pro as the OS. When commanded to shut down it gave me the "It is now safe to turn off...." then would boot up "automatically" when the PS switch was thrown, not waitng for me to hit the momentary switch up front. I always assumed it was a jumper in the wrong spot, maybe a LED lead on a switch post.

More recently I installed Win XP SP3, and the computer now will fire off only after I close the PS switch and then hit the front on/off button, but after givng the shutdown command it goes through the shutdown procedure and then displays the "it is now safe to turn off...." message.

Could be something simple, I'll report back when I try to "fix" this.

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I don't get the "It;s now safe to turn off your computer" It's supposed to do this itself.

I didn't put SP3 on the FS system.

ak49er
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Wild Assed Guess, did you plug in the VGA fan into the MOBO incorectlly?

Michael Carter
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
The new card doesn't have a fan, just a big honkin' heatsink.

So big in fact, that I had to remove my Soundblaster card because it covers the only remaining PCI slot.

blueskydriver
02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Michael,

Here are two options for you (try option 2 first):

1. It sounds as if your video card drivers corrupted your power-off settings. I'm not sure if you read further into that link that D posted, but I checked the next link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029/

And it gives more help. I suggest you try the Safe-mode shutdown option. It will then narrow this down as a driver problem. If the systems shuts down completely, it is/was the video card drivers.

If this does not work through safe-mode, it will be something to do with the video card itself. What type of slots are being used for the video card? I have a machine that did this after I changed the bios from an AGP slot to a PCI slot when I switched video cards.

2. Check the following info in your registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon......
Value Name:PowerdownAfterShutdown...Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = power down)

If you don't know how to do this, here is an explaination:

Goto Start>Run>type regedit>in the registry window click the plus signs starting with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE\ then Microsoft\ then WindowsNT\then CurrentVersion\then click on the folder itself for Winlogon......

In the right window pane you'll see PowerdownAfterShutdown, right mouse click on the icon for this and select modify. Now, place a number 1 in the value data box.

Finally, in the icon just below named ShutdownWithoutLogon right mouse click it and select modify and place a number 1 in the value data box.

Now, select File at the top window and select exit to close the registry. Restart your computer and then try shutting it down again, this should fix the problem.

This is just notes to what you changed.

Value Name:PowerdownAfterShutdown...Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Value Name:ShutdownWithoutLogon...Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Hope this works,

John

sas550
02-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi Michael! I don't know if this product is the solution for your problem but I'll recommend it anyway.

TuneXp is an XP tweaker that shortens the boot time and it also closing down real quick plus alot of other tweaks. It's a couple of tweaks that are said to be bogus such as optimization and clearing the prefetch folder.

I've used it for years and I'm very satisfied with the performance boost.

Here's a link http://www.download.com/TuneXP/3640-2086_4-10290928.html

It's freeware.

Review http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/TuneXP-Review-14205.shtml

ps. There might be a looping process that prevents the pc from shutting down. The "faster shutdown" feature kills such processes.

dvincent
02-18-2009, 04:30 AM
Hello Michael,

Not getting the logon screen when starting XP means that there 's just one user in the userlist without a password set. Second possibility is that the logon-setting is set to "automatic" with always the same user as standard user.

Getting no "power-off the computer" can be caused by a wrong jumper setting on the MB. A jumper wich is used to determine a ATX-power or another one.

Greetz,

Dirk

tnpoon
05-14-2009, 05:44 AM
I think if you can't shut it down, you should go to the computer fixing store and let them check what's wrong. (and fix it)

Michael Carter
05-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Windows is waiting for an internet connection to terminate that will never happen. I've already spoken with someone about this, but thanks.

Still haven't found out where this is occuring, but it's only an annoyance and nothing critical.

rhysb
05-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Guys, I had this problem. Windows has a component called WINLOGON.EXE which is the core that controls this aspect of the PC if it is corrupted in anyway or terminates while your computer is running then it will do exactly as you describe. The computer will let you shut it down but when it gets to the part where it shuts down your PC it will sit there displaying the "windows is shutting down" message.
You need to check that component in windows as this is your problem. If you have a file on your system called WINLOGIN.EXE rather than WINLOGON.EXE then you have a virus/trojan.

Winlogon.exe is defo your problem. The card may have had an effect on this im not sure im not that technically minded.

Rhys B