PDA

View Full Version : How many video outputs?

NigelD
02-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Hello experts!
Can anyone tell me from their experience, can I have a TV out and TWO monitor outputs at the same time on the same card? Failing that, could I get a separate TV card and undock windows to that card, while still having both monitor outputs from the 'main' graphics card? I think I saw somewhere here that the first option does not work.....hopefully the second one will!

Thanks in advance guys,
Nigel.

PDT 200
02-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I haven't tried that but I seem to recall that when you select dual monitors the TV out is disabled. I use 3 video cards and 5 outputs. In windowed mode all undocked views will stay on the monitors just fine, however when I go to full screen mode I only have 4 of the outputs seen by FS9. The fifth with whatever is undocked goes to another screen. I'm using only 1 PC and NVidia cards.
Regards,
Brian

BHawthorne
02-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Video cards only allow for 2 outputs per card regardless of plug type. So, 2 DVI or a DVI and a s-video/component out. Just get another card to run the tv out.

NigelD
02-11-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. That both answers my question and solves my problem. And extra TV card should not break the back I think!

The project moves forward another teeny step....

Nigel.

MrRoper
02-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Nigel,

I dont want to sound like im taking the pi** but its not a tv card you want, but a video card with tv out.. just so you are sure :)

Chris

Matt Olieman
02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Nigel,

I dont want to sound like im taking the pi** but its not a tv card you want, but a video card with tv out.. just so you are sure :)

Chris

I agree and would be the best solution. You can get some old cheap ones :) :)

Matt Olieman

weyes
02-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I think that if your video card has a TV out connector then you could connect both monitors to a matrox dualhead2ToGo. In this way both monitors are connected to one DVI and if connecting the TVOut disconnects the second DVI this would have no impact for you.

BHawthorne
02-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I think that if your video card has a TV out connector then you could connect both monitors to a matrox dualhead2ToGo. In this way both monitors are connected to one DVI and if connecting the TVOut disconnects the second DVI this would have no impact for you.

True, but the DH2G is a bit more expensive than just picking up another video card. :)

That being said, I do have 2 Digital DualHead2Go that I will probably be selling soon on ebay. ;-)

mabderezai
12-08-2009, 09:38 PM
how do you get two video cards onto one motherboard? can you specify the model and brand of the graphic card and motherboard?

Thanks

BHawthorne
12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
how do you get two video cards onto one motherboard? can you specify the model and brand of the graphic card and motherboard?

Thanks

Any motherboard with multiple 16x PCI Express 2.0 mechanical slots. They are typically refered to as SLI or CrossFire capable motherboards. My particular motherboard has 4 Geforce GTX260 video cards in it. There are versions of motherboards that allow up to 7 video cards to be installed. The ASUS P6T7 WS and the EVGA 4X X58 Classified are the best of class in that category. 3 and 4 slot video card capable motherboards are quite common nowadays, although they do come with a price premium, as they are typically workstation or entheusiast class hardware.

mabderezai
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I am thinking about using the 3 screens for the outside view and to get an additional 3 screens for the instruments via USB. However, I am concerned about CPU processing power. Having 3 screens will tax the system as is, the 3 USBs might just kill it... is that true?
Would you happen to have any tips for USB based SVGA/HDMI plugs and the over all impact of this many monitors on the system.

Thanks again,

eyeinthesky
12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
sure you can now i will tell you my experience in this issue. i am using win7 64bit with 12gb ram, currently using one 285gtx with 2 dvi's i am working with one 42" hdtv, one 20", 1 17 ", and 1 19" monitors using the triplehead2go switch digital. and getting res as hi as the hdtv can give.

I am waiting for another 2 cards 285gtx to get 6 dvi outputs so i can use 4 hdtv's each gets its own dvi for the outside views, and the other 2 dvi's i will use 2 triplehead2go and get 6 monitors for the cockpit.

so totaling 10 monitors on a single PC. by the way my CPU is I7 intel and the motherboard is the DRMOS eclipce.

I will let you know next week when i get the cards how thing look like...

cheers

Salah

mabderezai
12-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Any update? :)

eyeinthesky
12-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi,
even if you have 3 outputs on one card (vga graphic cards that is) only two will work at any time, however, there are cards with 4 ot 6 or 8 outputs that can be used, but not for the outside cockpit scenes, I prefer to use it for the in cockpit gauges because it has less graphics, the out side views is heavy and loaded with graphics and normally not supported by the multi output cards for gaming like this one:
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/m_series/m9188pciex16/

I am installing now 3 geo 285gtx cards 4 direct outputs go to the full HDTV tvs and the other 2 outputs i am using for 6 monitors by spliting the two outputs using Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

all working fine, i have an SLi motherboard with 64bit win7 running on 12gb rdd3 ram

all looking good this way is better then adding more computers, I am thinking of using multi IP on the same PC to run the http://www.wideview.it/wideview.htm for the outside screens. yet to be tested

cheers