PDA

View Full Version : Ouput cards - advice needed

jongas
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi,

I am starting my 737 build and am looking for advise regarding output cards.

I have some great input cards from Leo Bodnar which I highly reccomend, however I need something to run my annunciator lighting on the main panel

Any ideas on the most 'cost effective' (I know cheap is not an option with this hobby :p ) and what/how to go about getting these working.

Many Thanks

Jon

Trevor Hale
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Personally if I were you, I would look at www.phidgets.com

look up the LED64 Card. Run them with Alan Dyer's fs2phidgets software and your all set.

Trev

jongas
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks Trevor,

Is it easy to programme fs2phidgets and FSUPIC to work together or do I need knowledge on programming and 'binary codes' etc

Jon

Trevor Hale
02-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Fs2phidgets is as easy as it was for you to do Leo's card in FSUIPC.

Ps2phidgets see's the card,

select the output, pull down the drop box select feature and save.

Done like Grannies bangers and Mash.

Trev

mounty
02-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Do you need to use both a phidgets input and output card or can you use the BU0836X input card and a phidgets output card??

Thanks

Rob

phil744
02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Fs2phidgets is as easy as it was for you to do Leo's card in FSUIPC.

Ps2phidgets see's the card,

select the output, pull down the drop box select feature and save.

Done like Grannies bangers and Mash.

Trev

So Trevor, just so i understand, if i had Alan Dyer's fs2phidgets and some of these "phidgets" boards I can configure what i like using a simple user interface with simple drop down menus and there is no need to do any C++ or script witchcraft?

sorry if it sounds a little thick but I am utterly useless at programming of any sort and this is a major problem for me, ive been using FDT boards because there so easy to use but this sound like a dream come true for a birk like me.

BTW.. ive never even looked into it before asking but sure i will look into it myself

jongas
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Personally if I were you, I would look at www.phidgets.com

look up the LED64 Card. Run them with Alan Dyer's fs2phidgets software and your all set.

Trev

Is this the one I should be getting?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3416-LED64-Starter-Kit.aspx

So for example I could wire 3 greens for landing gear, amber for speedbreak engaged etc ....

Thanks

Trevor Hale
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
So Trevor, just so i understand, if i had Alan Dyer's fs2phidgets and some of these "phidgets" boards I can configure what i like using a simple user interface with simple drop down menus and there is no need to do any C++ or script witchcraft?

Correct. Sorry just saw this now.

sorry if it sounds a little thick but I am utterly useless at programming of any sort and this is a major problem for me, ive been using FDT boards because there so easy to use but this sound like a dream come true for a birk like me.

No problem your English, its to be expected.. Just kidding :)

BTW.. ive never even looked into it before asking but sure i will look into it myself

No worries..

Glad I could help.

Trev

mounty
02-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi Trevor,

Just so I understand this correctly.First of all I am using the PMDG 737 model. If I am using Leo's card and a phidgets LED 64, the phidgets card will read the state of the switches on Leos card and I can program the phidgets LED's to light up when a switch is either on or off, as some annunciators are lit when the switch is in the off position.

Is this correct?

Many Thanks

Rob

Trevor Hale
02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Is this the one I should be getting?

http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/3416-LED64-Starter-Kit.aspx

So for example I could wire 3 greens for landing gear, amber for speedbreak engaged etc ....

Thanks

Yes... when I got it they had just the card an power supply. you may not need to use their LED's if you can get it without that might be better.

but thats the one..

http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=5&product_id=1030

Holclo
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Mounty and Jonjas
As a trial, download FS2Phidgets progranmme by Alan Dyer (download section here at MyCockpit). It has an emulator in it and you can see what it can do from the drop down menu. You do not need to purchase anything at this time. I know that Ian (super hero) Sissons is working at this in relation to the PMDG737 (at least he will be when he gets the decorating finished!!!);)
Bill

Trevor Hale
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Trevor,

Just so I understand this correctly.First of all I am using the PMDG 737 model. If I am using Leo's card and a phidgets LED 64, the phidgets card will read the state of the switches on Leos card and I can program the phidgets LED's to light up when a switch is either on or off, as some annunciators are lit when the switch is in the off position.

Is this correct?

Many Thanks

Rob

No, you need to be careful with this...

Leo's card can be programmed in FSUIPC to do many things (Including switch some overhead logic on the PMDG by keypress or mouse mapping)

The LED64 Phidgets card will read FSUIPC values, through a really cool easy to use interface provided by Alan Dyer.

But because the PMDG annunciators do not use FSUIPC when they light up.. Your phidgets LED64 card will not work for many things.

I use the PMDG for the flight model only, and Project Magenta for the system software interface, so i can program offsets, and read offsets through FSUIPC.

Trev

jongas
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
so how do I get all my annunciators to work?

Trevor Hale
02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
aie.. there in fact is the RUB..

If you want overhead annunciators to work with the software interface, your going to need Project Magenta, and in many cases... that the best place to start spending your money, however with that being said. People like Gwyn (Westozy) have a complete PMDG simulator with overhead (no annunciators) mind you..

it all depends on how real you want it. if you want it as real as it gets.. Project Magenta software running in flightsim is a must.

Just my $0.02.. I don't know of any other way, unless you hardwire to your switches and take the annunciators right off the hardware. (running an led through one side of the switch, and the switch interface on the other side of the switch)

Trev

Holclo
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Trevor
The Overhead in PMDG737 and LED64 is exactly what Ian is working on. He may be able to get some annunciators working (without Project Magenta).He has referred to this on his latest update on his site. I am sure he will be along to this thread shortly.
Bill

Rodney
02-23-2009, 04:49 PM
You don't use the PMDG panels. Use the generic included one in FS. With the LED 64 I didn't have an issue at all as far as MIP annunciators went. Also used the Phidgets 8/8/8 for the landing gear and spoiler(Didn't have the BUO836 then). Worked like a charm. I plan on using them both in my 727-200. There are many builders who have used the flight model and not the panels. Do a search for PMDG in these forums and I'll bet you get enough info that you need.

jongas
02-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Ok, so I am looking to work just the annunciators on the MIP.

Don't have (nor can afford PM) - looking to use a FSX based 737.

Not bothered about the overhead, just want a great looking MIP

What will do the trick for me??

Holclo
02-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Very easy with LED64 to get the gear lights working. Also the "speed brake armed" also "auto brake" also "LEFlaps Transit","LEFlaps Ext" on MIP. These all work from drop down menu.More info from other people should follow.
Bill

ian@737ng.co.uk
02-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Hi chaps.....
well i have had some success using FS2Phidgets/LED64 and the PMDG. basically, what happens to light the annunciators is that a value somewhere changes. for example 'straight out of the box' there's plenty of data available which can be used to used to light annunciators. the PMDG uses a lot of it's own internal logic, but it also uses a lot of basic logic too. that's where we 'tap in'.
apart from the led's Bill mentioned above, i've got the Eng. Drive, Eng.Hyd Pressure, Eng Gen Offline and several other led's lighting in unison with the software PMDG panel.
i need to find the time to get to grips with the variable editor and the 'arguments' function in FS2Phidgets, but i see real possibilities here.
sorry not at my main computer at the moment, but i'll expand on it when i get back in the den.
gorra go, got to second coat the skirting boards before the bride gets back.......
have a great day chaps.... ian

jongas
02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Ian,

Really want to get all the MIP annunciators to work, esp those that don't appear to be on the 'drop down menus' in fs2phidgets (AP, Master warning etc)

I'm not a master of programming etc so anyone or anything that can make this as simple as possible is a lifesaver!

mdeponeo
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks Ian,

Really want to get all the MIP annunciators to work, esp those that don't appear to be on the 'drop down menus' in fs2phidgets (AP, Master warning etc)

I'm not a master of programming etc so anyone or anything that can make this as simple as possible is a lifesaver!

17/06/09
Take another look at Ian Sissons Sight "News 16/06/09
I've been working on the PMDG Overhead problem for some time
and Ian has supplied me with some usfull offsets to drive a board I've designed. This will get all you Annuniators working + power display + EGT
and Temp gauges.
Hopfully I can get a Proffesional board made . It will be a lot lot lot cheaper than PM. The more guys want this board the cheaper I can get it built.

Mark

Anderson/SBSP
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Hi, you can send me this offsets?

Thanks,

17/06/09
Take another look at Ian Sissons Sight "News 16/06/09
I've been working on the PMDG Overhead problem for some time
and Ian has supplied me with some usfull offsets to drive a board I've designed. This will get all you Annuniators working + power display + EGT
and Temp gauges.
Hopfully I can get a Proffesional board made . It will be a lot lot lot cheaper than PM. The more guys want this board the cheaper I can get it built.

Mark