PDA

View Full Version : What combat sims do you enjoy?

Crescent
02-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks to Trevor, those of us have a new combat flight sims forum.

So, as far as combat flight sims go, what ones do you enjoy?

I started my simming career with Microsoft Combat Flight Sim and moved up through to 3. I always wanted something more interactive though rather than fighting a predictable computer all the time.

I eventually found Battleground Europe http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

It's strictly online with other players around the world. It has to be the most immersive WWII sim out there...you can play air, ground, or navy. I enjoy bombing in this game...hitting the German factories to slow down supply to the front lines etc. There are negatives to it of course like anything, but it's what I like.

BHawthorne
02-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't sim much yet, but I need to cross that bridge soon enough. I need to still pick what sim I'll develop for my F-84F. Sure, Fighter Ops down the road, but for now I have a delima. I'm not beyond doing a custom add-on aircraft.

warvet
02-07-2009, 05:27 PM
For me its
IL2 (WWII Russian Front)
IL2 Forgotten Battles (WWII Russian and Western Front)
Pacific Fighters (WWII Pacific Air Combat)
Pacific War
LOMAC (Locked On Modern Air Combat)

These games are incredible simulations JMO

Tim

voucher76
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Well I'm building a whole pit around this sim.

www.vrsimulations.com

A super hornet but still in FS9 (later FSX), that does it for me. You can shoot dowm AI aircraft, but I guess it's only in multiplyer they will fight back :(

Also looking forward to FighterOPS

Best regards

sas550
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I used to fly alot Falcon 4 in an online fighter wing called 87th Stray Dogs. We flied online combat mission where we fight together against computer generated enemies and sometimes other fighter wings.

Lovely time flying formation (at times with no lag at all) with your freinds. Falcon 4 was way ahead of it's time. Released 97 if I remember correct.

Eventually i took to much time being in trim so I did like many other old fighterpilots, I went to the airlines. :mrgreen:

I fire up a mission in F4 occasionally, but I don't find my way back home as often nowdays.

warvet
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
This VR simulations is amazing I am definitely going to making this purchase soon. Thanks for info voucher.

Tim

BHawthorne
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
This VR simulations is amazing I am definitely going to making this purchase soon. Thanks for info voucher.

Tim

Yep, the VRS F/A-18E add-on is definitely in a class of it's own. I'd like to see more warbirds of that detail in MSFS.

Michael Carter
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I used to fly Back to Baghdad if anyone remembers that one. The avionics and systems were top of the line back then.

I also flew Falcon IV. The graphics were much better but the panel was also a lot smaller. Sure did look good though.

I still have the Cougar HOTAS system packed up in a box.

Airliners were always my first love though except for the F-4 Phantom.

03-02-2009, 01:30 PM
CFS 2 and just recently got Falcon 4. Excellent sim. Still in training!!

James

PKlijnstra
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Falcon 4 here too, excellent sim with a great campaign server.

warvet
03-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyone selling their Falcon 4 let me know.
Tim

AbacusAce
06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
There are a few good WW2 combat simulators. Both added up, (inc expansion packs) You fly a total of 162 different aircraft.
IL2 Sturmovik, Pacific fighters.
There are a few expansion packs for both of these games (They are made by the same company).
IL2 Sturmovik is the campaign Between Russia and the German luftwaffe.
There are expansion packs that allow you to fly aircraft from the RAF and other allied airforces.
Pacific Fighters is based on the WW2 Pacific War between America and the Imperial army (Japan). The graphics are slightly better on Pacific fighters for example;
- Flames extend futher from fuel tank (When on fire)
- Bullets leave a clear trail of 'smoke'
- When an aircraft crashes into the sea, the waves and shockwave extend alot futher than in IL2
Im not sure if there are any expansion packs for Pacific fighters.
However, you can connect Pacific fighters to IL2 sturmovik and share the maps and aircraft.

warvet
06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
IL2, IL2 Forgotten Aces, Pacific fighters then Ace Expansion pack and 1946 these are addons for IL2 and they are both excellent
I use them with Saitek X52 Joystick system, Ch Pro Pedals spring modified with Aluminum plate mods. Track IR 4 Pro , 14.2 Surround sound with Built in Homemade Sonic Tranducers Butt Kickers and LCD Projector for visuals and it rocks :) I play this probably 5x a week :)

Tim

Tim

MudPuppy
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Wow, that sounds like a sweet set-up for a prop combat sim, Warvet. I fly the IL2 series as well; although lately it has taken a back seat to some home remodeling. :(
I need to do some searches here later today on how I may be able to amplify the output from my sound card for IL2 (or any other sim, actually) so I can mount speakers around my pit without having to use powered speakers.

Derek

AbacusAce
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Im told that on one of the expansion packs (i think its forgotten battles), you can fly the 4 engined bombers, you can also switch positions in the plane from pilot to gunner to co-pilot etc.
The game is great online, however, you need to have everything on realistic
(nice and challenging :D).
If you want to make it as realistic as possable, use a joystick (As most WW2 fighters used joysticks).
Also if you bail out online, Your opponent gains less points because they havent acually killed you.
Hint: To bail out hold Ctrl+E

m_gansler
06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I've been happy with IL2 Sturmovik, though I assume there are better WWII sims out there. IL2 has lots of aircraft and many online servers accessible through Hyperlobby http://hyperfighter.sk/.

Mike

PropNut
08-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Dont forget the first air war! :)

I fly Rise of Flight, Over Flanders Fields (Complete WWI mod of Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator), old school Red Baron (and the later Redbaron 3D) as well as the really old Knights of the Sky.

I also get shot down often in IL-2

Jets are not my thing so I usually stick to Prop planes both combat and FSX

David

AbacusAce
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Jets are just to fast for IL2 :)
they dont carry much ammo either.

AbacusAce
08-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Also can someone help me with this problem;
- When i go to log in to Ubi.com (for online IL2/Silent hunter) i log in and while its loading it says "The plugin list URL was not found in your settings file", i then click "OK" (because i have to) then it says "!!DialogLogin.Error.ERRORSO!!(en)"
Can anyone help? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
(Sorry i didnt know where else to put this)

HitchHiker
09-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Let's see here Combat sims I still play:

Il2 1946 Edition - Complete Il2 series with Forgotten Battles, Aces Exp. Pack, Pacific Fighters, Sturmovics Over Manchuria, PE-2 Exp. Pack. This edition can be had for $9.99 and sports still relevant graphics, a ton of flyable A/C and almost every theater of WWII to fly in add that it's a fairly decent sim in its own right before all that. A great bargain.

Rise Of Flight - A great WWI sim that really captures the seat of your pants feeling (or feels like it).

Digital Combat Simulator - KA-50 Black Shark - A Russian attack helo sim based on the same code they use to train real pilots. It's really a work of art, TrackIR 6DOF, Fully Clickable pit, high fidelity systems/flight/damage/weapons model. A great sim and challenging beast to tame!

Lock On Modern Air Combat: Flaming Cliffs 2 - This is the latest version of the LOMAC series, developed by Eagle Dynamics of the KA-50 sim above. It features the F-15, Mig-29/27, Su-33, Su-25, A10A and a high fidelity advanced flight model Su-25T. Its not as in depth as DCS-KA50 above but is a great survey sim nonetheless. Additionally it features the same Terrain/Game engine as Ka-50 and as such the two can be flown together online making for interesting engagements.

Now for the future sim:

Digital Combat Simulator A10C Warthog - The follow up to DCS-KA50 will feature a version of the desktop software the US Air National Guard uses. All the same simulator features as KA50 above but with an updated/expanded map and many changes to the AI routines, graphics, engine and etc. KA50 will be integrated with Warthog and get the same engine updates. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu4SV3GjVw (Promo Video)

Abacus Ace - Not sure with UBI haven't been there for ages but I do remember the last time I checked it out the site seemed to be in disrepair.

Atomic_Sheep
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Anyone selling their Falcon 4 let me know.
Tim

I purchased my Falcon 4 from a store for something like 10 bux or maybe 15. Either way, it's cheap as chips these days, run out and get one!

Believe it or not, but Falcon 4 lags on my old computer which is an AMD 3000+ (2Ghz or there abouts), 128Mb video card and 512mb of ram! Was quite dissapointed but what can you do. Great sim though, was way over my head when I was 14 or however old I was when I first tried it but it's quite fantastic now. Would love to try it at its full potential and online though.

habib
05-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Recent World Modern Jet Combat Aircraft and Helicopters Have a Variety of Complex Electronic Systems That are Specific to a Particular Aircraft.The Mini Remote Helicopter is Most Popular to Games. if You Know More About Visit The link mini remote control helicopter (http://www.xhobbystore.com/tospde.html) This has use led to call the "study sim" Which Focuses on the Aircraft

habib
05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Recent world modern jet combat aircraft and helicopters have a variety of complex electronic systems that are specific to a particular aircraft. If you know more about visit the link mini remote control helicopter (http://www.xhobbystore.com/tospde.html).This is the great site of the task and topic propose nothing offer.

Spoiler
11-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Falcon BMS 4.32