PDA

View Full Version : Question about GA Gauges!

No Longer Active
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
This is a 'not so mega dumb question' as previously asked lol.

If you had to choose 7 guages out of:

AIR SPEED INDICATOR
WING LEVEL/TURN INDICATOR
ATTITUDE INDICATOR
ALTITUDE INDICATOR
VERTICAL SPEED INDICATOR
HEADING INDICATOR
RPM INDICATOR
VOR 1 INDICATOR
VOR 2 INICATOR

For a custom GA panel that requires 7 main gauges, you have to choose 7 out of 9 possible gauages?

What 7 would you choose?

(There is a reason i ask this, just want to know what you would pick, because i know what id pick, remember you can only have 7!)

Michael Carter
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd leave out the turn and slip indicator and VOR 2.

No Longer Active
01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Just out of curiosity why do we have a turn and slip indicator anyway, surely we can see that the attitude indicator shows the bank level and we would know how much the wing turns left and right through visual techniques and again looking at the attitude?

AlexPilot2008

Michael Carter
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Because the other indicators will not tell you if your turn is coordinated.

They also will not show a standard rate turn in a light aircraft.

Jackpilot
01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
If you want to go from A to B and in One piece you need them all and more...
Flying, as it it supposed to be, is not a Microsoft game or a quiz!

AndyT
02-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Either you need all of them or you change to the modern 'next gen' navagation systems FAA is recomending and install a WAAS GPS with ADSB XPDR and other goodies and lose the VORs.

The only reason I say this is because VORs are on the way out. In 10 years there will not be one left operational except in Alaska from what I read.

tomenglish2000
02-01-2009, 08:00 AM
You definitely need the 6 main ones.
Usual configuration of the main 6 is.

Airspeed Attitude Altitude

Turn/Slip Gyro Compass Vertical Speed.

Turn and slip is VERY important. It cannot be replaced by the Attitude indicator.

If your only getting 7 then I would pick the VOR indicator.

Eventually I would recommend getting the rest in this order ADF, RPM, VOR2, EGT, Fuel Gauges, Oil Temp/Pressure.

Tom.

Michael Carter
02-01-2009, 08:14 AM
He's got nine on the list, he has to lose two.

No Longer Active
02-02-2009, 07:35 AM
1 x Attitude
1 x Altitude
1 x ASI
1 x Turn & Slip
1 x Heading
1 x Vertical Speed
1 x Tacho

Think im going to do the Tacho on a simkit module and maybe a VOR simkit module too, and the 'essential 6' on the soft!

Cheers for the help!

tomenglish2000
02-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi Alex.

I would recommend Flight Illusion over Simkits. In my opinoin they are much better.

Tom.

No Longer Active
02-02-2009, 07:54 AM
But Flight Illusion are super expensive! £300+ for ONE nav gauge?

Thats mega expensive!!!

Too expensive, OK, the build and overall quality may be better but its just plain stupid to pay that amount for gauge PLUS you need to buy the controller!

Which brings ther cost even higher, and im not willing to pay that much!

Cheers,

Alex

tomenglish2000
02-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Well how cheap do you think Simkits are?

One Nav gauge €259 plus their interface @ €345.
Or €398 for a USB one.

Flight Illusion are €314 plus €120 interface which, ok, is €434 (€36 more than the cheaper simkits usb option) but the Flight Illusion ones are Sooo much better and for the sake of £30 you are getting a better product.

You can save money from Simkits by buying it as a kit, but if you screw up thats it!

Dont get me wrong, Simkits are OK, but for the sake of £30 I would pick Flight Illusion.

Tom.

No Longer Active
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Id rather buy as a KIT as im really good with things like that but £400 for a single gauge? thats madness!

Sorry pal, im not rich, and im saving up for PPL lessons and £400 just pushes it abit too far, i could have 4 hours training for that!

Cheers,

Alex

CrashEd
02-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Id rather buy as a KIT as im really good with things like that but £400 for a single gauge? thats madness!

Sorry pal, im not rich, and im saving up for PPL lessons and £400 just pushes it abit too far, i could have 4 hours training for that!

Cheers,

Alex

I have to agree with Alex, that is why I went down the Simkits route. The kits are far cheaper and can be assembled with a minimal amount of tools and time. Granted, if had I have got the money I would have bought the FI gauges, because in my honest opinion a stepper motor is far better than a servo... But, when you are building a full Cessna setup (and paying for flying lessons at the same time) EUR 400 per gauge is madness. Especially with the current exchange rate ;)

Also, FI don't supply the cockpit panels etc. Simkits seem to have a fuller 'range'. Also, the new Simkits USB gauges are Vista64 compatable (not sure about FI??) - another prerequisite for me...

I'm not having a bash, just think the Simkits gear is good for the money ;) 8)