PDA

View Full Version : Display projectors - what type is best?

NicD
10-16-2006, 05:37 AM
I've been researching projectors recently for the outside display. Eventually I will be using the triplehead2go with 3 projectors onto a widescreen (similar to others here). It seems that the best type of projector to get is a DLP, at least 1500 lumens, and a native XGA resolution (1024 x 768). However these projectors are about 30% more expensive than the SVGA models with native 800x600 resolution. SVGA projectors can transform the image to emulate a higher resolution video input coming from the PC - but there is some quality loss.

Just wondering if you guys have used SVGA models at 1024 x 678 (or higher) and what the quality is like. Is it better to spend the extra money on true XGA resolution, or is SVGA sufficient for flightsim outside view?

Also - if I curve the display screen (horizontally) what adjustment feature should I look for in the projector to compensate for the image bend?

cheers
Nic

Matt Olieman
10-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Nic... There are so many "good" projectors out there (also bad). The seem to be getting better every-time I check :)

My recommendation is to compare the specs. 1024 X 768 native, for me would be the absolute minimum. Prices starts to jump up quite a bit when the native goes higher then that. Regarding the lumens, the newer projects are 2000 plus.....

The other thing to look for is the life of the lamp, mine lasts 1500 hours.... to replace it, it cost $400. So longer lasting lamps for the projector is a plus.

I've seen where some guys bought their projects on Ebay.... cheap. Someplace to look... Oh if you buy used, make sure you find out the lamp hours.

Westozy
11-14-2006, 08:04 AM
Nic, I just bought a new Epson EMP-TW600 for $2300 (Aus) with a free spare bulb and I'm really pleased with it. It has a lens shift function which allows great versitility in positioning. I think the spare bulb offer ends Nov 30th. I was going to get a high end data projector with a $2000 limit in mind but this high definition theatre projector came up on special. I'm going to move my sim indoors evetually and use it for theatre too, sim one side, theatre on the other. Check it out at the Epson site.

Gwyn