PDA

View Full Version : A Mega Dumb Question?

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey,

If you drilled a whole (lets say 10mm wide) through an LCD screen will the LCD Screen still work with the whole in it?

Just that i heard something on the net stating that a company can cut lcd screens! so if you was to cut a section out of an lcd screen, would this work?

Or how does this company manage to cut lcd screen....wouldnt this be rather handy?

tomenglish2000
01-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I dont know how the company "cuts" LCD screens but I am pretty sure a screen would break if you cut a whole through it.

This is because the signals feed from 2 sides, usually top and left sides. If you make a cut then any where on the right and below of the cut will not recieve a signal and so break. Thats assuming that during the drilling you dont rupture the screen.

Mike.Powell
01-30-2009, 12:36 PM
If the hole is cut very carefully, a portion of the LCD screen will continue to function. There will be a vertical strip and a horizontal strip starting at the hole location that will be non-functional because the hole will cut through conductors on the glass.

The company that cuts LCDs does so to resize commercial units. They trim an edge with a diamond saw then reseal the edge. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they have extra fluid to replace what is lost while cutting. This is an expensive process.

jonnydaz53
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
What kind on configuration would a screen need to be cut, im trying to think where this work maybe the autobrake panel? with lcd behind.

jonny d

egmc

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 01:13 PM
If this could be done it will be excellent to pass through a yoke through the screen so you can place software gauges around the yoke whole instead of placing 1 monitor ontop of the yoke.

There MUST be a way to do this?

If this does happen it will change simming tech by FAR!

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 01:17 PM
There will be a vertical strip and a horizontal strip starting at the hole location that will be non-functional because the hole will cut through conductors on the glass.

This would be perfect as id only need to display 1 gauge next to the whole, i do not need anything to be displayed the other size!

If this works i'll be sooo happy!

Whats the best way to cut.....glass? is an LCD glass? How will i cut a 1 inch hole through an LCD?

mmmmmm?

mauriceb
01-30-2009, 01:36 PM
How will i cut a 1 inch hole through an LCD?

Very, very carefully :D

Maurice

Efe Cem Elci
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
How about this?

http://www.tannas.com/html/amlcd.html

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 01:55 PM
***** WARNING *****

MYCOCKPIT, MYCOCKPIT, INC. OR AFFILIATES IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FINANCIAL OR MEDICAL LOSS THAT MAY RESULT IN THIS EN DEVOUR YOU WISH TO PURSUE. ALWAYS WEAR PROPER SAFETY EQUIPMENT WHEN WORKING AROUND TOOLS AND GLASS.

Just a peice of cya.

Trev

Geremy Britton
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
lmao. I was laughing when someone mentioned drilling holes in screens ... Realy!!? :shock: hmm, i'll just say my warning would be i wouldn't risk it!

I can just imagine a 101 ways this could go pear shaped.

(I should stop laughing at this thread topic now) :lol:

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
lmao. I was laughing when someone mentioned drilling holes in screens ... Realy!!? :shock: hmm, i'll just say my warning would be i wouldn't risk it!

I can just imagine a 101 ways this could go pear shaped.

(I should stop laughing at this thread topic now) :lol:

LOL I was thinking the same thing :) i wonder how many screens one would need to drill before they got it right?

Honestly Alex, I would buy a bunch of dead ones off of ebay for real cheap to test the waters before I would even attempt this.

Trev

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
You know me, always pushing the boundaries!

Who else would ask this question?

Give me some credit i did title this 'Mega Dumb Question'

Lol

Making Sim building hilarious since November 2008! :)

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
There is a saying.. No such thing as a dumb questions, just dumb people for not asking them..

I don't know quite how to rate this question on that scale... LMFAO..

Just playing with you :)

Geremy Britton
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
yeah, as Trev said. Get a tester first from ebay. Don't pull out your bosch on your only desktop screen just yet!! :|

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I also feel the need to stipulate.. "DONT TRY THIS ON A CRT MONITOR" Either LMAO.

Geremy Britton
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
haha! Well erm thanks for the warning Alex on the post name!!

Lmao, nah not the CRT pleease! Blimey no! (This is getting to funny now, i'll leave it at that)

BTW: Trev - you know now alex is on board there should be a forum area dedicated to the adverse and utterly ridiculous ideas and thoughts! (That may or may not work)

Have a good weekend lads. This post has certainly got me in a happy mood LOL

Efe Cem Elci
01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
I also feel the need to stipulate.. "DONT TRY THIS ON A CRT MONITOR" Either LMAO.

Noe you trell me. :mad:

Hpe Im writing thid at MCP

;) :lol:

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
BTW: Trev - you know now alex is on board there should be a forum area dedicated to the adverse and utterly ridiculous ideas and thoughts! (That may or may not work)

As fun as this is.. and I can say it made my day too, I really like the thought. a forum dedicate to....

HEADER: Flightsim Do's and "DONT EVEN THINK IT'S"

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Do's And Dont's Section sounds good... a collection of all time classic posts!

Hang on?....... it might end up being all my posts on there!

AlexPilots Do's And Donts Section......Trev can i have that in lights too please!

Lol :lol:

Alex

I hope i made you day!

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 03:56 PM
LOL. You did, and please You did ask a valid question, please don't let our poking fun be detrimental to you. It just really sounds funny.

Trev

No Longer Active
01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Holes in LCD monitors......?

What next?

HAHA :lol:

Alex

EDIT: Where is this post going?, this is getting funny now! Half the world giggling at a hole in the monitor question, would make a classic youtube video 'AlexPilots Guide To Cutting LCD Monitors For FS2004'

AndyT
01-31-2009, 01:08 AM
As funny as this is, I know what you had in mind and it will not work. For a couple of reasons, but mostly because you have to use special laser/diamond saws to make the cut. I dont price them but I've heard the saw costs around $50,000. If you can afford that, then just buy small screens and mount them around your yoke. Actually if you can afford that, How about hiring me to build you a nice sim....

Another option is to Go the SimKits route.

And by the way... Last time I metered a CRT screen it was holding around 30,000 volts at about 2000 miliamps. Not a place to drill.....

The question was not stupid, just un-imformed and Waaaaaaay off the wall. Keep them coming!

fweinrebe
01-31-2009, 04:31 AM
I was one of those stupid people not asking this question. Good stupid question Alex. ;)

About drilling the CRT, the CRT has a vacuum inside, so it will implode. That is probably something you leave for the Brainiacs team on the Discovery channel. They will probably put it in a caravan and blow it up while drilling the hole.

No Longer Active
01-31-2009, 07:41 AM
Yeah, looks like im going to have to put a simkit usb guage next to the yoke and then mount soft guages ontop of the yoke via the lcd, but it will just bug me knowing i have 1 simkit guages instead of 9 simkit gauges, then knowing me id want the engine gauges too!

AlexPilot2008

AndyT
01-31-2009, 05:31 PM
Then use a floor mount yoke like the Otter has. Opens up your panel quite nicely.

No Longer Active
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Whos the Otter Andy?

Could be a very good idea!

AndyT
02-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Who's the Otter? Now thats a good one....

Here's an Otter;
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Nature-Air/De-Havilland-Canada/1380993/M/

No Longer Active
02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Now thats ONE ugly cockpit!

Cheers for the link!

Alex

AndyT
02-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree, but the plane itself simply cant be beat. Its one of the toughest built aircraft in the world. And the new ones coming out have glass panels with the full Honeywell suite.