PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

Pim van Vrijaldenhoven
01-30-2009, 05:26 AM
Hallo All,

I have been around here for a while, but never properly introduced myself. I am what you would call a late bloomer. I am 64 years old, married, no children but we have two nice dogs.

It was only some ten years ago that I got interested in flight simulation. I have a technical background and worked for quite a number of years as a design engineer both in the Netherlands and the USA. Later on I changed jobs and became a product marketing manager. During these years I did a lot of air travel in Europe. These were the good years: always flying business class; pilots would leave the cockpit doors open, giving me an excellent view what was happening upfront. I also remember a trip from Vancouver to Amsterdam in an MD-11. Since I couldn’t sleep I was invited to the flight deck where the pilots were very proud to explain all the beautiful systems to me.

Two years ago I got in to part-time retirement which gave me time to start building a home cockpit. I really liked the idea to control everything by flipping real switches rather then using a mouse. I my current system all I have to do is to turn on all computers, start FS9.1, select a departure airport (default is EHAM) and the rest (Project Magenta) starts automatically. From then on I do not need to touch the computers anymore

Well, this should give you some idea about my background. I have created a small website that shows my work in progress. See the link below. I am always open for any questions you may have.

Best regards,

--pim

my home flightdeck (http://home.planet.nl/~pvrijald/flightsim/flightsim.htm)

Kennair
01-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi Pim and a very big welcome.

I love seeing these first time introductions and then finding out they've got a mega build that could teach many of us a thing or two. Pim you've got a serious setup and I hope you enjoy many hours flying. It's a great hobby that keeps you home with your loved ones. I look forward to hearing and learning more from you.

Cheers,

Ken.

Trevor Hale
01-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Pim,

I have seen you roaming the streets, but never saw a post. Welcome, and I am glad you are able to showcase your product.

Great to have you hear.

Best regards,

Trev

Michael Carter
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Great looking sim Pim. Glad to have you aboard.