PDA

View Full Version : Need Herlp with PSOne LCD screen

colt45
01-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Apologies for starting another PSOne LCD thread but I have searched and read through all the other posts and can't get mine to work.

I am using the s video output jack from my BFG Tech 9800 video card. I am using a 4 pin svideo to RCA convertor and a camcorder cable from svideo.com to make the connection. Part numbers MSV-FRCA and 4P3.5-3RCA respectively. I have one of the vga outputs in use for my main LCD monitor and nothing connected to the second vga output. The drivers I have installed are 178.24. I have downloaded newer drivers (181.22) but have not installed them.

I have tried both the Windows XP Display Properties Settings and the nVidia Control Panel to set this up to display on the PSOne screen but no luck. The closest I get is a brief flicker of the desktop background on the PSOne when I run the Multiple Display Wizard in nVidia Control Panel.

I have set a custom resolution of 640x480 for the PSOne screen in nVidia Control Panel which is recognizing the "monitor" as a TV. I assume this is because I am using the svideo output of the video card.

Does anyone who is using the PSOne fron svideo output have any suggestions. I would prefer not to get into the mods necessary to connect it to my vga output from the nVidia card.

Thanks, Dave

No Longer Active
01-25-2009, 06:07 AM
The PS1 screen has always been a complicated mod, and many see it as an easy task until they actually do it, though the VGA mod is easier if you dont have a PAL screen, i have only seen this work when modding it for VGA and ive never known it to boot successfully through the s-video out output unless used with an aditional piece of software which im not too sure of as ive only seen it once, but are you sure you have correctly configured on the settings correctly on your graphics cards control panel, it seems you have a connection so your half way there, i know this seems vague but keep playing around witht the settings on the tv out until something comes up!

colt45
01-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Alex,

I have been messing around with the nvidia Control Panel settings for the past 24 hours when I haven't been Googling and reading all sorts of forums on this mod. It seems that I am doing everything right but still nothing on the LCD.

Another builder who posts here has got this up and running and he and I are going to hook up tonight hopefully online to try to get it going. I may update my graphics card's drivers also to see if that has any effect.

Oh well at least my Bodnar card is here and it is dead easy to wire switches and get them configured with FSUIPC. If I don't get the LCD working I will put my GPS plans aside and start on something else to use the BU0836X

Cheers

iwik
01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi ,
I think you might need a program called powerstrip to adjust timmings so the vga output will match psone signals.Just do a google.
Other option is tv out.
Les

colt45
01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Les. I am trying it using tv out. My understanding from the posts I have read at various "mod" forums is that Powerstrip is used if connecting with a VGA cable. Hoping to avoid that.

Cheers.

jonnydaz53
01-25-2009, 05:06 PM
I would also like to know from the builders here who has had success with this mod and with what graphics card they used as i also could not this lcd working.

regards john d

iwik
01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Guys,
My memory is comming back.Thats right,powerstrip only for VGA.
When i was getting my one going i think i had a problem with plug i was using to get tv video in.Think the Sony socket maybe non standard.
I couldnt get my one to go at first.Not at home at the moment.If you still have problem after checking your plug ill have alook at my one.
Les

dnoize
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe its the so called '75 ohm' problem ? some graphics cards need a load on the tv-out. The load of the psone is too low so you have to connect a 75 ohm resistor over the tv-out. Just google for details.

its been ages since i've been using these screens, but also make sure you have the right cable. you need STEREO minijack plug at the AV input. Connect shield to the AV ground signal, connect the centre ring to the AV signal. The tip of the minijack is not used.

If i recall right, a mono minijack (with only 2 rings) will not work.

Also sometimes the software of your card has a 'force tv out ' option.

I have used both the vga mod and the tv out in the past and never noticed any significant difference between the both, so i wouldnt go through all the trouble of the vga mod.

Stef

jonnydaz53
01-25-2009, 06:01 PM
stef which card did you use for this?

regards john d

colt45
01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the input Stef. Here is description of cable I am using to connect to PSOne

This adapter features the standard pin-out of a 3-ring 3.5mm "stereo plug" to 3 RCA plugs.

The 3 RCA plugs carry left audio, right audio and composite video.

So I think we have that base covered.

I will look into the '75 ohm' problem , I do recall seeing that mentioned in one of the many threads I have read over the past day.

Are you still using a PSOne LCD? Also interested in the make/model of your VGA.

Regards, Dave

dnoize
01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
stef which card did you use for this?

regards john d

That was 4 or 5 years ago. Initially a ATI card which had the 'force tv-out ' option. Later several nvidia cards of which one needed the 75 ohms solution.

dnoize
01-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the input Stef. Here is description of cable I am using to connect to PSOne

This adapter features the standard pin-out of a 3-ring 3.5mm "stereo plug" to 3 RCA plugs.

The 3 RCA plugs carry left audio, right audio and composite video.

So I think we have that base covered.

that should be the correct one.

I will look into the '75 ohm' problem , I do recall seeing that mentioned in one of the many threads I have read over the past day.

Are you still using a PSOne LCD? Also interested in the make/model of your VGA.

No, im using dual Engravity CDU's for years now obviously ;-) (usb, no need for tv-out or vga)

Stef

Trevor Hale
01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Colt,

I think I may have the answer to your woe's but on the other hand you may think I am a complete lunatic.

I have used this card you have, and I ran 2 PSone Screens off of it. (y cable)

You say you are using a S-Video - rca convertor from the back of the card to your psone screens.. But.. From my expericnce I don't think that is an S-Video port on the back of the video card.. I think it is a plug that looks the same as an S-Video plug, but needs a Componant Video Break out box that looks like this...

http://grupodecme.com.mx/images/7600gs/7600gs2.jpg

Then you connect your PSones the the Y connector for standard Composite video out.

Trev

sas550
01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
I have mine connected to a tv-out on a Nvidia card. I had to take an s-video cable and cut it. Strip all the cables at the cutted end. Then cut an RCA cable. First I checked out wich was ground and connect to the ground on the RCA cable. Then while the pc was runnin I tried one by one on the cable that's left on the RCA side to see wich one gave picture on the PsOne.

colt45
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Trevor,

Thanks for the input. Interesting that you mention the Component Video breakout box because the vidoeo card came with a break out cable ; the "s video" jack at one end and the red/blue/green jacks at the other end. From this picture you can see that it identifies the output jack as s-video but perhaps that is a generic descripion

Thinking I might look at another route using a second pci VGA to connect the PSOne to via s video. Any recommendations for a cheap card that could handle this. Doesn't need to be anything fancy as long as I can see a GPS screen on the PSOne.

SAS, I will keep your method in mind for a last ditch attempt to get this working.

Cheers.

colt45
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
With a huge hats off to DaveC3 who posts here I have got my PSOne to work. Had to share my good fortune with those who have read and offered suggestions as well as to those who are experiencing similar issues.

Dave spent a couple of hours with me on Yahoo Messenger voice talking through a number of different things. He also spent some of his own time looking through who knows how many sites/forums and he stumbled upon this one

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t52156-50.html

I read through it and eventually headed to this thread

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=ST&f=33&t=69933

The fix in my case was to use the composite breakout cable that came with my video card instead of the svideo to RCA adapter. Plugged the camcorder cable to the blue jack of the breakout cable, the camcorder minijack to the PSOne and voila the desk top appeared on the PSOne.

Next step is to start planning my GPS on this screen. Oh yeah and a few other switches, buttons, encoders, etc on my BU0836X.

I am now officially in the deep end of this addictive hobby. :p

Cheers, Dave

Trevor Hale
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Glad you got it all sorted out.. Generally you need to use the break-out cable that comes with the card. How exciting..

Every project we deal with in this hobby can be frustrating, but as soon as it works, we all take a big deep breath, and it is so worth while.

I really am happy for you.

All the best,

Trev

No Longer Active
01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Im so happy to that you got it working, i think it just says to everyone that anyone can do it now, you have pretty much unvield the 'secret code of the pc to ps1 screen'.......man i should sell your code on ebay!

Well done matey!

colt45
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the sentiments Alex but not really my secret. Lots of good internet sleuthing by DaveC3 to point us to a link that had a number of suggested fixes, one of which worked for me. I think that is important to keep in mind, it worked for me, my VGA, my drivers, my cables, my adapters, etc. No guarantees for others but hopefully it helps someone.

Cheers, Dave

No Longer Active
01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I have an ATI Radeon 3600 1024mb dual head graphics card and it has a connector in the middle, its black, round with 4 pins, the card come with a cable but it was not a breakout cable it was just a male to male cable for the card, any ideas on what this lead is, and do you recon a ps1 screen would work with this?

colt45
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
ALex,

First off I must admit I am far from an expert on this matter, I had a lot of help and did a lot of checking through various forums including the ones I reference in a post above.

A few things:

- you say you have a M-M cable so I would suggest you need to find an adapter to get to a female jack that you wil need to plug in your camcorder cable
- the jack you describe on your VGA sounds like an s video output ; check the board's specs at their website to be sure you have that
- I am using a nvidia based card so I have no idea how the equivalent to nvidia Contro Panel works to set up your ATI card ; I believe it is called ATI Catalyst??
- I used svideo.com to source my svideo to RCA convertor and camcorder cable. At this point I do not need the convertor as I am using the breakout cable that came with my VGA. But I hope to add another VGA solely for the PSOne some day so it may still come in handy. BTW svideo.com is in the US and I know you are in the UK ; you may be able to find or have someone suggest a comparable outfit on your side of the pond.

Good luck, Dave

No Longer Active
01-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Cheers Dave

Thanks for the help, im sure i will bump into a few probs down the line, im not starting my gps project just yet but it will be nice to have a clear idea and outlook as to how im going to do it before i actually start it!

Thanks the 'point-it-outers'.

Nice one Dave.

Alex