PDA

View Full Version : reflecting through fresnel lens=cheap projector alternative?

jabomeister
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I've been rolling this through my head, thinking of a cheap alternative to a projector.
The idea is that if you put a sheet of paper on the dashboard of your car, you will see a reflection of it in front of you through the windshield acting like a mirror...under certain lighting conditions.
So, I was thinking about placing a monitor horizontally, mirroring the image (probably through software), and placing the fresnel lens at an angle above the monitor.
This way, the user will see an enlarged reflection behind the monitor. Lighting can be controlled to optimize the reflection and clarity.
I haven't tried this, but I was thinking about doing a test with my 9" monitor and a cheap 11" fresnel lens, which can be had from ebay.
But, I'm not even sure it works, that is, if placed in front of the device, you will see an LARGER image than the original monitor size.

What do u guys think?

Matt Olieman
10-06-2006, 03:51 PM
There's been many experiments with Fresnel lenses and some are used professionally. Always room for new ideas :)

Perhaps some of our experimenters can share some of the experiences....