PDA

View Full Version : PM Sounds calls ToD in 50 miles at incorrect distance

Ray Proudfoot
01-02-2009, 10:10 AM
This is a minor annoyance but it would be nice to get it sorted out.

PM Sounds enunciates "Top of descent in 50 miles" at 60 miles out, not 50. I've looked through all the available INI files but I can't find any setting to change it.

Does anyone know how this can be modified please?

Michael Carter
01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow, that's a bit close-in.

Ray Proudfoot
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow, that's a bit close-in.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't mean 60 miles out from the arrival airport. I mean the enunciation is made 60 miles from ToD instead of 50 from ToD. ;)

It seems only logical that a 50 mile warning is issued at 50 miles, not 60.

Michael Carter
01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I guess I mis-understood. It sounded though it was calling for TOD ten miles before the airport.

Ray Proudfoot
01-02-2009, 01:39 PM
I guess I mis-understood. It sounded though it was calling for TOD ten miles before the airport.

That would be a fun descent wouldn't it? :D

Michael Carter
01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Rather like the RLP3E arrival at de Gaulle for 08R. :mrgreen:

oal331
01-03-2009, 05:47 PM
For many reasons, i didn't use PM's sw, almost last 2 years, but i remember, a has also the same issue some times.
Maybe because a Flightplan change, a direct to or a STAR change?
Maybe because a problem in Netdir?

I can't remember about it, but if i will found it again, i will post it here.
(I 'm almost ready to start my PM's engines one of these days, with my new setup :)!!)

regards

Eddie
Athens-Greece

Ray Proudfoot
01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions. Whether I make changes or not to the plan it still seems to result in the ToD being enunciated 10 miles earlier than it should.

I'm sure the next time Jonathan visits here he'll have an idea about it and he can put us all out of our misery. I had a look at CDU.INI which seems the most logical but there wasn't anything obvious there.

JonathanRichardson
01-04-2009, 05:57 AM
>Thanks for your reply and the suggestions. Whether I make changes or not to the plan it still seems to result in the ToD being enunciated 10 miles earlier than it should.
I'm sure the next time Jonathan visits here he'll have an idea about it and he can put us all out of our misery. I had a look at CDU.INI which seems the most logical but there wasn't anything obvious there.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ray

And Happy new Year to everyone.

I can make a note to look at it, but I personally never have used this audio reference. I am pretty sure if there is a problem with it, it will be hardcoded and not a user definable option.

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magneta

Trevor Hale
01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I could be way off base here ray, but perhaps is there any chance your using an FAF 10DME from the airport, and your software is taking reference for the TOD that is to the location to the airport (50 Miles) and not the length of all your flight legs?

Maybe it's just a thought. if you had an FAF set, try a leg without it.

Trev

Ray Proudfoot
01-04-2009, 03:39 PM
>Hi Ray

And Happy new Year to everyone.

I can make a note to look at it, but I personally never have used this audio reference. I am pretty sure if there is a problem with it, it will be hardcoded and not a user definable option.

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magneta

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks and a Happy 2009 to you and all the PM Team. :smile:

I suspect you're right. No matter. I can always disable the wav file. If Enrico is ever at a loose end then it's a 2 minute job for him. ;)

Ray Proudfoot
01-04-2009, 03:41 PM
I could be way off base here ray, but perhaps is there any chance your using an FAF 10DME from the airport, and your software is taking reference for the TOD that is to the location to the airport (50 Miles) and not the length of all your flight legs?

Maybe it's just a thought. if you had an FAF set, try a leg without it.

Trev

Thanks Trevor but I get this even before I have entered the FAF. As Jonathan suggests it's probably hard-coded and Enrico's arithmetical skills were slightly below par that day. ;)

JonathanRichardson
01-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Half the things in pmSounds are user requests, someone probably asked for 60nm I doubt it would be coming from Enrico or I.... will look into it, although I think there are some bigger fish to fry right now so no promises - you sure it even exists on a 737?

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magenta

Ray Proudfoot
01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Requesting ToD in 50 at 60DME? Hmmm, how strange. No matter. I've lived with it for a few years now so I can manage a few more.

I haven't a clue if it's enunciated in the real 737. I'm just a humble sim one.

Agreed there are bigger fish to fry.

JonathanRichardson
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi Ray

We will certainly look into it, plus a few other minor list things, but main focus this year is some other stuff we want to refine. I really have no idea where this sound call comes from, I have a vague memory that it is for the chime sound in a 747 / 777. I honestly can't remember without digging deeper. Someone no doubt will 'chime' in here with the answer to that.

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magenta

Jackpilot
01-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Ray

Just record yourself a new wave saying "Top of descent in SIXTY miles" and solve your problem!!

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 01:30 AM
I have to ask this just to satisfy my curiosity.

At what altitude are you and at what rate of descent does the aircraft use to start the descent at only 60 miles out for the STAR? Are you flying Low-Altitude routes on some legs?

I ask because most descents I make are from 80 to 100 miles out depending upon cruise altitude, STAR, and altitude for the IAF.

I'm using a three-to-one rule, and the rate of descent for this formula for the 727 is 2500FPM at idle descent with no level-off on the way down to either the STAR or IAF altitude.

Unless of course I'm going to Paris. :roll:

Jackpilot
01-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Mike

The FMC computes a TOD point (which is roughly where you are used to put it with the 3/1 rule ie:80 odd miles out) ) But the aircraft warns you 50 miles before arriving at that TOD point.

I have the FMC but I do not use automated Nav, the 3/1 is perfectly OK.

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 01:54 AM
I can't believe I didn't get this until you explained it like that. Duh...

I feel like Homer Simpson at the airport lounge. :roll:

I'm just not used to the airplane telling me I have things to do. I have to do the planning and make my own (calculated) mental call-outs.

Jackpilot
01-05-2009, 01:56 AM
This is what flying is all about...I'm 100% with you on that one.

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Me too.

I think I would have a tough time with my SA if I were counting on the airplane for a 'to-do' list. Makes the mind wander too much. Or at least mine.

I mean, with the nav equipment aboard and the charts, I always have a mental picture of where I am. If it weren't for the HSI/RMI and a chart, I'd really be in a spot. It makes me think. As a matter of fact, I always have to be thinking.

About the next fix, the next turn, the next turn-lead, the next frequency, the next heading, the next wind correction, on and on and on.

But that's what makes it fun for me.

Jackpilot
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
And what about a good old NDB approach after circling 15 miles out an offset DME ...with 1/4 mile vis.
I know we are **jacking Ray's post but It's good to share enthousiasm!

Psstt....INNSBRUCK in a snow storm!!

OK I shutup.

Ray Proudfoot
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Ray

Just record yourself a new wave saying "Top of descent in SIXTY miles" and solve your problem!!

:lol: You get top marks for originality! I'll just imagine he's saying 60 miles. ;)

Katy Pluta
01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks and a Happy 2009 to you and all the PM Team. :smile:

I suspect you're right. No matter. I can always disable the wav file. If Enrico is ever at a loose end then it's a 2 minute job for him. ;)

Hi Ray!

Happy 2009 back at you, and all other Gentlemen here ;)

"Enrico at a loose end" Well, let's see if this happens this year...

Jackpilot
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Katy
Long time no "mail" !!
Glad to see you here...another pair of PM eyes on this forum is good news...
Jack P.

Trevor Hale
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Darn Right it is..

Welcome to the forum Katy... When are you going to start building your sim? LOL

Trev

Ray Proudfoot
01-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Ray!

Happy 2009 back at you, and all other Gentlemen here ;)

"Enrico at a loose end" Well, let's see if this happens this year...

Hello Katy! Thank you for your kind wishes. I can't remember the last time I was called a gentleman! :D I was of course speaking with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I know Enrico is a busy chap and has far more important things to attend to than the 60 mile ToD call.

Once I've established exactly what circumstances cause it I'll be bringing up the fuel useage bug that doesn't recompute when a plan is altered. But that is for another thread in another time. ;)

Katy Pluta
01-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Darn Right it is..

Welcome to the forum Katy... When are you going to start building your sim? LOL

Trev

Oh my... I guess when the kids are all grown up (does it ever happen?) and out of the house :p