PDA

View Full Version : Universal Joystick Controller BU0836X

Michael Carter
12-26-2008, 02:37 PM
I finally ordered this card a few minutes ago. I hope it doesn't take forever to receive.

I also ordered a couple of rotary encoders that will be used for the HSI heading and course selectors. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about mounting them yet, whether under the HSI bezel in a slim box-like panel or possibly in the fire rack under the glareshield, maybe even in a custom panel installed into the RT box ahead of the throttles.

The new card is taking over duties currently handled by the Hagstrom LP24 for the overhead.

Is there anything I need to know about this card other than what comes with it?

ADW
12-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I think Ian Sissons is the man to give you the low down on this. Hopefully he will chip in when he is next on. Mean while check out his site at ......
http://www.737ng.co.uk/overhead.htm

Andy

Trevor Hale
12-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Mike, I ordered 2 of them, and received them within 2 weeks. They have to be the easiest cards to setup. Plug em in, goto fsupic, and your done.

I love them and will be ordering more of them.

Trev

Michael Carter
12-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Sounds great!

I'm removing the matrix setup on the LP24. I will still use it for some functions in the direct mode, but that matrix mode is a mess with diodes everywhere and not a very clean installation.

Can't wait for the new card. Especially for the rotary encoder inputs for the HSI controls.

colt45
12-26-2008, 04:45 PM
I am thinking of doing a GPS for my GA style panel and wondering if this is a good option. Trevor, how was delivery to Canada? Did you get hit with customs fees? I like the minimal soldering approach and no diodes aspects.

Thanks, Dave

ian@737ng.co.uk
12-26-2008, 04:49 PM
hi micheal.....
trevor is absolutely right. you are going to love this card. it's so easy to use. i am using 4 of these, you just plug them in and 'way to go'. connect pots, encoders and any kind of switch you can think of and the end result is only as good as your imagination.
thru FSUIPC, you can add axes, send keys, use the mouse macro's and even manipulate offsets and their parameters.
now all we need is an output card this easy to use.......why make life compicated?
anything specific you need to know, please feel free to ask.
happy new year captain..... ian

Michael Carter
12-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a winner. Thanks Ian!

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Got the card today. Wow that was fast. I may or may not start on the overhead today. Definately tommorow though.

I can't wait to get that Hagstrom board out of there and start using this one.

Trevor Hale
01-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I am thinking of doing a GPS for my GA style panel and wondering if this is a good option. Trevor, how was delivery to Canada? Did you get hit with customs fees? I like the minimal soldering approach and no diodes aspects.

Thanks, Dave

Actually Dave, Didn't get dinged at all by customs. i ordered 2 and they arrived in a sealed bubble envelope at the post office.

No import duties at all.

Trev

colt45
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Trevor. I may just go ahead and order one to force me to get on with something. I am thinking of starting one of the following "projects"

i) the GPS which I am still hunting for a LCD screen, input board and all the accessories (this definitely will be most taxing on my skill levels)
ii) a 24" widescreen and FS Panel Studio to develop a MIP for a Cessna behind a panel with cut outs
iii) a touchscreen to use as a GPS instead of project i)
iv) a custom designed "desk" I have been designing with Sketch Up over the holidays
v) save my cash for a TH2Go and monitors

So many choices, so little disposable income. :mrgreen:

Cheers, Dave

Trevor Hale
01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
I totally know the feeling. But for the GPS a PsOne Screen will work wonders, and you can find them online fairly cheap.

Trev

colt45
01-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Trevor,

I have bid on a few PSOne screens on EBay but have yet to be successful. Another member here (Dave Cutliff) has put me on to a small screen LCD supplier he has used in the US and they have a good "deal" on right now. I have an email into them to see if they will deal with a Canuck and await their response.

While I have you I asked a general question in my "intro" post about Canadian suppliers ; are there any you use in particular that you prefer from the perspective of either being Canadian based on easy to work with for shipping? How about for basic things like wiring, switches, etc? I am a complete newbie at this stuff and wouldn't know where to go other than "The Source" store in the local mall.

Cheers, Dave

Trevor Hale
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
LOL Dave, I have purchased many switches form the source and paid an arm and a leg for them. If you are placing a large order Mouser.com in the us isn't bad, but you will get hit hard on duties and taxes. I have bought loads of things from Digikey when I loved in Toronto and Active surplus Downtown Toronto was a hot spot all the time for me.

Now I live in way Northern Ontario, 1.5 hours North of North Bay, so it is much harder to find parts.

As for Wire... I am the Director of security for a large company and I have Boxes of security wire kicking around. That and Cat5 so i make use of that.

Other then that, for Parts, I ordered my stuff from Engravity.. As far as quality is concerned in my "PERSONAL" opinion it was worth the shipping wait.

Trev

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm working on it now. First time the overhead has been lowered since the half-shell was finished. What a wiring mess.

This will give me a chance to straighten all of it out since everything is installed now. Before I was adding wiring as I added a module. It created a
wiring nightmare.

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I just did my first succesful engine start entirely from the overhead without having to open the pop-up window. I though I was gonna pee my pants.

Oh my, this is powerful.

Even though my engine start switches worked, I still had to open the window to un-cap them. For whatever reason, this never worked correcly with the Hagstrom card. It's working perfectly with Leo's.

In addition, the looping starter sound from Turbine Sound Studios used with the DF727 has disappeared. A manual start can be made without the looping effect.

Unbelievable.

Thanks Leo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mounty
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Ian,

Do you think Leo could make an output card to work with his input card?

Rob

Rodney
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
In addition, the looping starter sound from Turbine Sound Studios used with the DF727 has disappeared. A manual start can be made without the looping effect.

Michael,
That is good news. I know it was in the DF Forum and they were looking into it. But that test sounds very promising. I'm not there yet, still waiting form my overhead & parts to be shipped. Are you going to run most of the overhead off the BU0836X? I have 2 of the cards, but not the x model. They do work superbly.

Michael Carter
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, the entire overhead.

So far I have the engine starters working along with pitot heat, pushback from the ground crew call button, No Smoking, Fasten Seat Belts (with mouse capture), landing lights, nav lights, strobes, and beacon.

I'm working on the yaw dampers now, and then runway turnoff lights, wing lights, flight control warning test, wipers, and a few other items.

Yes it's really good news about the TSS soundpack. I don't know why this makes a difference but it certainly does work correctly now.