PDA

View Full Version : $2 dollar question

AndyT
12-11-2008, 02:16 AM
What's the point of upgrading?

Lots of us are running FSX now and likely an equal number of us are still on FS9. Why would you upgrade if your sim is working well? Especially if you have lots of add-ons?

This is not a debate between the respective sims, its a wondering why YOU would upgrade.

fweinrebe
12-11-2008, 03:08 AM
I would only upgrade if the newer version has more functionality build in which is accessible via FSPUIC or SimConnect and I definitely need those functionality for the sim.

I would love to see the next version of MSFS have more available offsets simulating aircraft systems. For example a Firewall Fuel Shut-off valve for a turboprop. Or Fire Extinguisher simulation to give a small example. There are so many system related stuff that is not simulated yet. Or it is simulated by a third party vendor but not accessible in FSPUIC or SimConnect. I would definitely upgrade for functionality like this.

AndyT
12-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Excellent answer. Anyone else?

N242AM
12-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Any default or add-on panel system functions are accessable with FSUIPC's Mouse Macro utility.

Mouse Macro allows you to assign a keyboard command to any mouse hot spot. From there you would assign the keyboard command to a real button press or rotary turn with your choice of hardware interface.

The aircraft's panel does not need to be visible for the Mouse Macro to work. So in theory, as an example, you could assign real buttons and switches to all your aircraft's overhead panel functions.

See the FSUIPC documentation for details.

Michael Carter
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
I won't be.

Even though I'm limited by the DF727 not being compatible with FSX, I wouldn't upgrade if it was.

I like the sim just the way it is...software-wise.

David7700
12-11-2008, 09:16 AM
What's the point of upgrading?

Lots of us are running FSX now and likely an equal number of us are still on FS9. Why would you upgrade if your sim is working well? Especially if you have lots of add-ons?

This is not a debate between the respective sims, its a wondering why YOU would upgrade.

The only answer is the built-in multiplayer capability without the need for external software in FSX. Other than that, why switch if it is working well? FS9 (which I do not own) and FSX each have their benefits and detriments, from what I have read.

Tomlin
12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Well the obvious answer to me is that it's the exploration of the unknown. That, and the fact that obviously if we were still using FS98 in our pits, and FS9 was out we'd be looking at all the great graphics and wanting things to look a bit more realistic from FS9 over FS98. Im a hard core FS9 user myself, but FSX does offer some exciting updates, but for many it's not feasible, or desirable, for whatever reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. And by the way, FS98 was used for some of the first home sims. The first project I was ever aware of and where I got the bug was here: http://www.avsim.com/project757/home2.html . At the time I thought that it looked great, but thinking back on the old versions- they were fun but nothing compared to now. I think FS11 will bring FS back on track, but Im optomistic today.

paulj
12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
For me it just seemed right to go to FSX first up.
I've used earlier versions of FS but this is my first home built cockpit.
I've been planning and gathering bits and pieces for a number of years but only this year have I had enough room to actually start building.
As I'm getting pretty good performance with FSX I thought I may as well face the unknown and jump right in rather than start off with FS9 then change later.
Time will tell if I end up regretting it.:roll:

paul

AndyT
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Mike,

When 11 comes out will you be looking at it to upgrade? I know that some simmers only move every other version. Might that be you?

Eric,

Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for 11 myself. I'm sure its going to repair the flaws with 10 and add a few more toys as well.

Michael Carter
12-11-2008, 07:54 PM
It seems that I only move every other version, but I'm always still a version behind because of equipment costs to run the newest release.

Until Paul Golding finishes the DF727 for FSX, I won't be upgrading, and even then I'll have to check equipment prices at that thime.

I'm very satisfied with the way the sim performs and I hate to fool with something that works.

Jackpilot
12-11-2008, 09:10 PM
My $2 opinion.

My reluctance versus the upgrading rat race is threefold:

It is not a matter of putting a new disk in the computer and enjoying all the new goodies . It entails upgrading everything and starting back to square 2 or 3 for hardware, addons, interfacing, tweeking etc etc..( and spending the $ that go with it)

MS is a business and acts as a business, wether it is for MSFS, Windows, Vista and the never ending "better buy the new stuff" strategy.

Mike has a good approach because following that race means that our cockpit will never ever be finished and 100% flyable. I am a pilot like many of us, and FS9 allowed me to build my ultimate toy. But I want to play with it not spend the rest of my days rebuilding it again and again .
JP

CocnutAir
12-11-2008, 10:48 PM
I suspect for the same reason mountaineers are always looking for the next peak to climb. I guess it is just the way the folks on this web site are wired. However, my wife will tell ya'll that, in my case, it is more of a short circuit.

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
12-11-2008, 10:52 PM
I decided to get out of the rat race, mainly because the rats are winning.

Gsey
12-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Im with Mike and Jack on this one. Fs9 works perfect and I would much rather continue spending $$ on upgrading the sim with better equipment than spending all that money on new system hardware to run fsx.Only now are we seeing the computer specs that can run fsx the way it was meant to be seen. I will eventually move to FSX when a system thats good enough to run it can be built for less than $400 much the same as you can for fs9 now so I will always be staying one version behind.

Gary

AndyT
12-11-2008, 11:57 PM
My system barely runs FS9 well and when I add in all my hardware... Well, its not pretty. Of course, I'm running an old machine also. Its the last machine I built before I quit the computer business back in 2003. I do have FSX on it but I have to run it with sliders in the middle and forget running my hardware with it.

I'm planning on a new machine in 2009, a couple of them actually. I'm looking at the new i7. I suspect it will run FSX without a hitch. But shortly after that I bet FSnext will be out. Just my luck.

Jackpilot
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
I suspect for the same reason mountaineers are always looking for the next peak to climb. I guess it is just the way the folks on this web site are wired. However, my wife will tell ya'll that, in my case, it is more of a short circuit.

Regards,
Alan.

I would phrase it otherwise:
The urge to adapt to whatever MS throws at us to make a $ could be compared with mountainers getting all their gear and base camp planning ready for peak A and being told, half way the climb, to shoot for higher peak B and rethink gear,planning and expectations....
Never reach a summit but getting expert at trying to..!

No ?

Tomlin
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Really and truly, there are many reasons for running a version late. It never hurts to buy the newest version, but if you do, you should go ahead and get it in your mind that you may not be running it for your full size sim since we know the hardware usually lags behind the software.

Running the version that's running good on your machine gives you peace of mind, and youve likely got all the issues either sorted or learned! One thing that kills me about FSX is that although I love some of the enhancements there are still a thing or two that really look silly, namely the autogen. It's way too big and not scaled properly and that's what bugs me most.

Running the newest version is fun because you get to use or see the new features, but to me I'd rather get super smooth performance than have traffic on the interstates below, which is by the way one of the things that I absolutely love about FSX, especially taking off at Imagine Sim Charlotte NC and seeing all the traffic pass underneath as you climbout. That's awesome. However, it's just not butter smooth for me yet. That's when I will consider changing over for sure.

The other issue is that I love my add on scenery- there's so much more for FS9 (naturally) than for FSX. But I would have thought that by now it would have caught up, but that's not the case. There's a reason for that- performance.

Ive said it before and I will say it now- FSX is IMHO very much like FS2000- it brought outstanding new features to the sim but at a very big cost and Im hoping that FS11 is the same as FS2002- A savior of the software.

Jackpilot
12-12-2008, 09:22 AM
Really and truly, there are many reasons for running a version late. It never hurts to buy ........

My ....of approval.

mauriceb
12-12-2008, 07:03 PM
... OR or you could find freedom from upgrades by doing as I did, mothball your sim for a few months and see how you feel without it. I dismantled my sim about 2 months ago until I have more space available in about 2 years because I was tired of not having room for a shell and only room for one of the 3 projectors I bought.

So, I decided to put it away until I have the space for it with the thought that by the time I came back, there will be new working & bug free versions of everything :roll: and I will find Nirvana.

However, what I am discovering is that I don't miss the darn thing at all and if this feeling continues, I may decide to sell it and re-discover my sanity. Unfortunately though, this is just like smoking... all you need is one cigarette and you are back on a pack or more a day (as I have heard)). So as long as I stay away from airports and flight deck pictures, I may be able to stay off the wagon, or on the wagon (I never know what is the right expression :-)

Freedom from simming feels really good right now anyway :-)

Maurice

Jackpilot
12-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey.. so WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ???????

THIS PROVES THAT

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG IN YOUR RATIONALE

Cheers Pal.

mauriceb
12-13-2008, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=Jackpilot;71174]Hey.. so WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE ???????

QUOTE]

I'm a closet peeping tom :D . You have to know what you are up against so that you can keep your guard up. The more I find out about upgrading & other endless simming struggles, the less I feel like coming back. So you see, there is method to my madness ;)

Maurice

CocnutAir
12-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Maurice,

Don't despair. Quitting is easy. I've done it lots of times. I have become quite good at it. Just takes practice.

With regard to upgrading, it seems there are two camps. The Early Adopters and the Cautious Optimists. I would place myself in the latter party. I usually prefer to let the dust settle with new releases. i.e. let the manufacturers and the Early Birds iron out the kinks. Unless there are features that really blow my skirt up. Then I become an early bird.

One of my mother's favorite expressions was "the early bird catches the worm". Up until my late teens I figured that meant one should sleep in late. I figured "Who wants to get eaten by some bird!".

Guess, the important thing to remember is that this is only a hobby and not let it own you. Aim for the Moon, but keep one's feet on the ground.

Regards,
Alan.

AndyT
12-13-2008, 05:25 AM
One of my mother's favorite expressions was "the early bird catches the worm". Up until my late teens I figured that meant one should sleep in late. I figured "Who wants to get eaten by some bird!".

Odd.. I had the exact same interpretation when I was young. Still do come to think of it.

fweinrebe
12-20-2008, 05:32 AM
I found out that with FSX, one can drop bombs. I am seriously considering changing to FSX from FS2004 since then the PC-9M can be used for throwing bombs at targets. I am using the IRIS PC-9/A flight model.

Another example of a good reason to upgrade. :)

Now I have to upgrade my Graphic Card for FSX to work better. :(

aviaparts
12-20-2008, 07:40 AM
I can run both FS9 with a ton of addons on the sim and FSX. This being possible, you can see very clearly the better graphics of FSX. If you have a quad core these day's with a good graphic card it's worth upgrading.
The only downpoint is scenery compatibility, I have allmost all the airports for FS9, FSX still a long way to go.
Still I stick with FSX, very happy with it.