PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Efe Cem Elci
11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Does this item, price and description seem odd to you or is it just me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___BOEING-737-200-300-400-500-PRESSURIZATION-MODULE_W0QQitemZ320271353626QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Aviation_Parts_Gear?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

tasmanet
11-26-2008, 06:51 AM
My mate bought a house in the USA for $999 on the courthouse steps a month ago.

So by that standard it is grossly overpriced

Michael Carter
11-26-2008, 07:30 AM
That's about core value for that module, but it isn't even worth that any longer if he says the wiring has been removed for sim use.

That same module is used in the 727. It's not that rare. If he waited five years for one, he wasn't looking in the right places.

Other than that, I'd say it's a legit auction. More a buyer than a seller though.

Trevor Hale
11-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Efe,

Thats being sold by Matt Ford. He is "THE" Pioneer in the simulator hobby industry. I personally would think that he knows what things are worth. I wouldn't pay that much for something like that, but I am sure a dire hard hobbiest would.

Trev

Efe Cem Elci
11-26-2008, 08:50 AM
The reason I asked, which in retrospect I should've mentioned, is that this is for a part that doesn't play a vital role in the simulator. We set it up but its not like other integral parts because it doesn't even simulate anything. So I was amazed to find it for that price and the wording almost implying that simulators have pressurized cabins and this is a rare find to regulate the air pressure in them.

Michael Carter
11-26-2008, 08:59 AM
But in some models such as the DF727 it is simulated. Not that the sim is pressurized of course, but it does have to be set up and failures can happen with the bells and whistles and indicators sounding and illuminating.

Like I said, it's about core value for a refurb for an 1830 ticket.

Efe Cem Elci
11-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Oh I know that it does simulate something, that's why I said we set it up. Like you said, otherwise there are problems. What I meant by my earlier statement is that it is something that you set up and that's it, it doesn't serve you any better or enhance the experience. So it is unlike many things that would do good for this amount. It just seemed a very steep cost vs. function ratio.

Not implying that there's anything wrong with the auction in terms of legality or authenticity, apart from the fact that the internals have been changed to adapt the module to flight simulation.

Jackpilot
11-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I had the same reaction a few month ago (does not sell fast) and wrote to Matt.
His idea is that those "steam" units are very rare compared with the digital ones.
I agree with Efe in the context of our spending priorities when building a full size toy.
Which brings me to the question I posted earlier:
"....if some electronic wizard among us could design a simple counter going from 1 to 50 with 3 constant zero showing on the right, driving five 7 seg Leds through an encoder. Must not be very complicated. Does not has to be linked to the sim. Just procedural! ...."

Instead of paying hundreds for P&P units,!

dnoize
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Which brings me to the question I posted earlier:
"....if some electronic wizard among us could design a simple counter going from 1 to 50 with 3 constant zero showing on the right, driving five 7 seg Leds through an encoder. Must not be very complicated. Does not has to be linked to the sim. Just procedural! ...."

Instead of paying hundreds for P&P units,!

something like this ?

http://home.planet.nl/~pvrijald/flightsim/pressurization_panel.htm

Stef

Jackpilot
11-26-2008, 05:50 PM
YES..!!!!
Actually I was thinking more of a "chip"?! totally independant from the sim...something like my oven timer, turning the encoder and displaying the alt. simply...which would avoid the software and another load on the PC.
Thank you for that one Stef.
JP