PDA

View Full Version : How to start building a cockpit?

SimStar001
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Hello all,

if been new here and i have read some threads. Now i decided to build my own cockpit. I have choosen an A320.

First i have messured the dimensions of an A320.

But now my question:

How i have to start building?

What do I need?

is there anyone who can give me some tips or links?

thank very much for your help

steveeverson
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Simstar,
I guess there are many ways to start building a cockpit but I can tell you the order I have been doing mine if that helps.

1 Researched and Planned :

you dont have to do everything but it's good to have an idea of what you want to get out of your sim experience before you start- I decided that I wanted to have something flyable from early on which I think helps keep me interested and as I fly I work out what features are most important- egm whats that button you keep reaching for your mouse to operate and really wish there was a switch for!

2 Built MIP- I made mine (737ng) from MDF and checked it fitted the LCD monitors i bought before I started on the rest- you can buy a ready made one from several suppliers but I enjoy making the parts i have the skill to do

3 Built MIP stand / glareshield/front portion of the 737 windscreen from drawings found on the internet.-

4 Install MCP/Autopilot - I bought one and think its one of the first things that its good to have 'real' switches for

5 Installed yokes / pedals/ throttles ( I got saitek ones which meant i can fly straight away-and will look to build some linked 737 style yokes at a later date- also it meant i coul make up a temporary throttle/flaps/speedbrake)

6Installed video projector for forward view - some people use a monitor and do this last but I felt that its one of the things that i wanted first

7 Built EFIS unit(s)

8 Built FMC - another thing that I dont have to use the mouse for!

9 Bought a 2nd computer and network switch to run all the outside visuals on a separate machine and also installed flatscreen monitors for the side window views which really made a difference to the feeling of flying!

10 Bought a secondhand overhead panel (was very lucky as it saves a lot of time building one- just got to start programming all the switches)

11 Bought a secondhand 737 motorised throttle to replace the temporary saitek ones i have-

Thats what i've done so far- it makes sense to work from the main instrument panel outwards - and the more you build, the more enclosed it gets and the more it feels like youre really flying.
Next jobs for me are to build the sidewalls, side windows, overhead trim and then i will work on the pedestal / fire handles and the pilot seats.

Hope that helps- lots of ways to do it but this is the order that seemed to work best for me!
cheers
Steve:p

Mike.Powell
11-20-2008, 12:31 PM
There are sites that offer advice on getting started. There are links to a few in the first paragraph of this page: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/getting_started.htm

Also, you can learn much by looking at the sites of project builders. Here is a list of links: http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/simpit_links.htm

Welcome to the hobby!

SimStar001
11-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for this links, they are very helpfull!

But there is another question:

Where can i get used aircraft parts for building my own cockpit?

388TH_A
11-29-2008, 08:42 AM
try looking into FSBUS http://mikkila.wabbits.org/fsbus/mirror/index.html
http://www.fsbus.de/index.html
Also here is a link with FSBUS being used on a A320 setup http://www.a320homecockpit.de/00000096221175917/0000009622117cb1b/00000097e413c0001/index.html

http://www.mikkila.org/fsbus/

Trevor

chuckmccoy
12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Hi Simstar,
I guess there are many ways to start building a cockpit but I can tell you the order I have been doing mine if that helps.

1 Researched and Planned :

you dont have to do everything but it's good to have an idea of what you want to get out of your sim experience before you start- I decided that I wanted to have something flyable from early on which I think helps keep me interested and as I fly I work out what features are most important- egm whats that button you keep reaching for your mouse to operate and really wish there was a switch for!

2 Built MIP- I made mine (737ng) from MDF and checked it fitted the LCD monitors i bought before I started on the rest- you can buy a ready made one from several suppliers but I enjoy making the parts i have the skill to do

3 Built MIP stand / glareshield/front portion of the 737 windscreen from drawings found on the internet.-

4 Install MCP/Autopilot - I bought one and think its one of the first things that its good to have 'real' switches for

5 Installed yokes / pedals/ throttles ( I got saitek ones which meant i can fly straight away-and will look to build some linked 737 style yokes at a later date- also it meant i coul make up a temporary throttle/flaps/speedbrake)

6Installed video projector for forward view - some people use a monitor and do this last but I felt that its one of the things that i wanted first

7 Built EFIS unit(s)

8 Built FMC - another thing that I dont have to use the mouse for!

9 Bought a 2nd computer and network switch to run all the outside visuals on a separate machine and also installed flatscreen monitors for the side window views which really made a difference to the feeling of flying!

10 Bought a secondhand overhead panel (was very lucky as it saves a lot of time building one- just got to start programming all the switches)

11 Bought a secondhand 737 motorised throttle to replace the temporary saitek ones i have-

Thats what i've done so far- it makes sense to work from the main instrument panel outwards - and the more you build, the more enclosed it gets and the more it feels like youre really flying.
Next jobs for me are to build the sidewalls, side windows, overhead trim and then i will work on the pedestal / fire handles and the pilot seats.

Hope that helps- lots of ways to do it but this is the order that seemed to work best for me!
cheers
Steve:p

This might be a lot more helpful to us green Simmers who are just getting started if you explained your TLA's (i.e. Three Letter Acronyms) Some of us don't know what an FMC, EFIS, etc. are. I can see this is good information but I don't understand much of the lingo.

Michael Carter
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
FMC-Flight Management Computer. So you don't actually have to fly the aircraft. You can just program it. ;)

EFIS- Electronic Flight Instrument System

MIP- Main Instrument Panel. A lot of guys build 'em just like Boeing and Airbus do.

MCP- Mode Control Panel

EICAS- Engine Indicating and Crew Alerting System

GPWS- Ground Proximity Warning System

I'm sure you found out by now, but there isn't a book of instructions to construct a simulator. Mike Powell's site is about as close as you'll come.