PDA

View Full Version : Cockpitsonic Airbus Panels

coolmanak
11-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Hello everybody. I've got a question about some Airbus panels from Cockpitsonic. I'm not a big electrical person, so I'm buying things pre-assembled. I've got quite a few questions before I spend my money.

Firstly, why does the panel without hardware usually sell for the same price as the regular plastic panel? Is this 'too good to be true'?

Secondly, why are airbus panels so significantly cheaper then the Boeing ones they sell?

Thirdly, I've read that their Boeing panels are relatively plug-and-play. Is this true about their Airbus panels as well?

For those of you who have purchased the cockpitsonic Airbus Data Printer, what does the 'Panel With Hardware' come with? Is it really a mini-printer, or does it just have some back lighting?

The pictures and description of the Captains and F/Os pedestal lighting panels don't say what lights they control, and I'm not an Airbus person, so can you tell me what they control?

What does the Radar panel do?

I assume the ECAM controls the displays, but I'm not so sure. What does it really do?

I understand the Radio Management system, but what does the Audio Control do?

That's all for now I suppose.

NNomad007
11-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Hello everybody. I've got a question about some Airbus panels from Cockpitsonic. I'm not a big electrical person, so I'm buying things pre-assembled. I've got quite a few questions before I spend my money.

Firstly, why does the panel without hardware usually sell for the same price as the regular plastic panel? Is this 'too good to be true'?

Im not sure if i understand this one... panel only is a lot cheaper than the hardware one..for obvious reasons... you have 3 types of airbus panels in cockpitsonic: simple non hardware ones (the cheapest ones), panel plus all the hardware needed to assemble it (and this job will have to be done by yourself...they arent assembled at all...just raw components), and a third and more recent one: plug & play ones...powered by a software called TEMPEST that i never tried. Note that there arent a lot of panels available..just the radio one, an overhead, the ecam panel, and maybe a couple more.

Secondly, why are airbus panels so significantly cheaper then the Boeing ones they sell?

I think it has to do with the quality..they arent brilliant... dont get me wrong...they can do the job, but they arent "OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS REAL"... the color is way to dark, they are thinner than real ones.. and something that i dont really like... the paint is really sensible..it peals of very easilly..good news is, the price is very decent!

Thirdly, I've read that their Boeing panels are relatively plug-and-play. Is this true about their Airbus panels as well?

As said above, just a couple of them.

For those of you who have purchased the cockpitsonic Airbus Data Printer, what does the 'Panel With Hardware' come with? Is it really a mini-printer, or does it just have some back lighting?

I didnt bought it, but i doubt there's a data printer inside....probably the hardware is just a simple switch..not more than that...

The pictures and description of the Captains and F/Os pedestal lighting panels don't say what lights they control, and I'm not an Airbus person, so can you tell me what they control?

The flood LT knob controls the intensity of the center Instrument panel flood lighs, the Integ LT knob controls all the backlight intensity of the MIP and Pedestal

What does the Radar panel do?

Not that simple or usefull in a home pit..i wouldt be to worried about that

I assume the ECAM controls the displays, but I'm not so sure. What does it really do?

The ECAM, controls ..well......the ECAM displays (Boeing planes use a similar system called EICAS)...the ones just above the ECAM panel...you have one upper ecam (engines, flaps position..etc etc) and a lower one that can show you several systems, like fuel, apu..etc etc etc.. Basically, all the systems that are used to make the aircraft fly and work properly are displayed in those 2 screens... you should try to find an internet source that can make you a good introduction to airbus systems..ill try to help you out tomorrow.

I understand the Radio Management system, but what does the Audio Control do?

You push them in order to activate a channel..and there are several... INT activates the interphone system, PA announcements (also the oxigen mask mic, the hand one...etc... ... .. we could stay here for hours, but... you need to investigate a bit further, it aint all that complicated, but it envolvs a lot of info...

That's all for now I suppose.

I did my best to keep it simple. i hope it helps..good luck with your project

Cheers,

Alex

coolmanak
11-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks! I'm left with just one question.

When the paint peels away, what's left?

skywatch
11-09-2008, 05:40 PM
I ordered 4 panel form them a couple of weeks ago. I will let you know what I think of them when they arrive if you like.

Skywatch

737aqua
11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Who makes more realistic panels for the airbus that are available? I dont understand why there are so few options.

Michael Carter
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Be thankful that you at least have options.

coolmanak
11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
The 727 world is hard, I take it?

Michael Carter
11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
It ain't as easy as most.

Try calling any supplier and ask when their 727 throttle is going to be released. Then listen as they're rolling on the floor laughing.

Call all of them and ask to purchase a complete set of overhead panels or a MIP.

737aqua
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
But I would never choose a plane that was not supported, so the point is moot.

NNomad007
11-10-2008, 03:57 AM
Thanks! I'm left with just one question.

When the paint peels away, what's left?

Wait wait wait..pause there.... ... They wont "Auto-peal!!" ......they are sensitive to more "intense" treatment..meaning, if you for instance drop something on them, you'll probably end up with a little piece of paint pealed away..and that aint all that hard to happen..but by all means, they wont just self-peal!... When a little strip of paint goes off..well..you end up with plexiglass.. My advice, if you buy them, ask for the RAL code and buy some paint so you can correct little flaws ( in real life with real panels, things are done that way also..)

cheers

Alex

NNomad007
11-10-2008, 04:06 AM
Who makes more realistic panels for the airbus that are available? I dont understand why there are so few options.

Its called "Market".... for all i could see, when the simpit market started, the most popular AC was boeing 737.. so all effords were focused on that aircraft, when demand was strong enough to make a point, major sim suppliers started to make them on a comercial level...you have also more real parts available from boeing planes..so its easier to get a few of them, and copy them properly...airbus real parts are really really really really hard to come by .. the market is rotating though, airbus is getting popular by the day, so in my opinion you'll see a hudge development in airbus parts for cockpit building..

The most realistic ones in my opinion are made by www.simparts.de , only a few available though.... FDS with the new line of panels also is a great supplier...

the only thing i do have to criticize to all manufacturers at this point is..can anyone please finally get the color right?!.......................

cheers!

Alex

NNomad007
11-10-2008, 04:11 AM
But I would never choose a plane that was not supported, so the point is moot.

Well..i disagree there.. actually one of the things that i trully admire here is that a lot of people here that trully love a type of AC wont even doubt for a sec to build it just because of the simple fact that it aint very much supported.. they will just work harder and harder until the dream starts to be real...and as i said..you have a few examples here...for instance, we dont need to go further than this..look at Michael's 727 pit.......it speaks for itself..

For all i understand this is all you have to know and all you have to feel in order to make it real:

10% Talent, 10% Love, 80% damn hard workkkk... so..do your math

Cheers,

Alex

Michael Carter
11-10-2008, 08:01 AM
I knew what I was getting into when I started this 727 and I have no regrets.

There were times that it was frustrating trying to get a piece of Boeing equipment integrated, but it eventually worked out.

The main advantage I have over a supported aircraft is that it is 65-75% is real aircraft and many parts are easy to come by given enough time. I'm a stickler for the smallest detail and the sim being as authentic as I can make it within my budget and resources.

The 727 is the only aircraft I ever considered building.

Jackpilot
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by 737aqua

Check:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/ac_type.php?id=3&PHPSESSID=d2bu41kj87ifgp0liiq7bh4g76

I build a 737 but I have seen and "played with" their products...top notch and ALL panels are available (MIP Overhead pedestal and much more) expensive yes, but not much more than a second car or a new kitchen ....budget priorities is the main factor.(lol)

737aqua
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
FDS seems good, but their overhead backlighting doesn't really look like the real thing...so I wouldn't buy the overhead from them.... Their other stuff looks good though.

Its odd that the A320 is not more popular given its small size and fantastic systems, etc..

PS, do Simparts sell the full MIP or just the metal backplates...they don't show the full thing on their site???

dcutugno
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
FDS seems good, but their overhead backlighting doesn't really look like the real thing...so I wouldn't buy the overhead from them.... Their other stuff looks good though.

Its odd that the A320 is not more popular given its small size and fantastic systems, etc..

PS, do Simparts sell the full MIP or just the metal backplates...they don't show the full thing on their site???

Why you say that? have you seen the FDS panels in real life when they are backlighted?
I can tell you that when i entered in my sim the first time with all panels backlighted my jaw dropped and i was stand still to watch for many minutes and said: how they did that! Fantastic.

And i can tell you another thing, next panels i will buy will be FDS ones...
I'm not affiliated with fds i any way as you can see i'm from Italy.
Bye!

737aqua
11-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I saw the photo of the overhead -- it doesn't really look like the photo of the real thing at night...sorry, I'f i'm wrong, but it seems to be different in color and is lacking something...check it out yourself

Jackpilot
11-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I know firsthand what the real thing looks like, FDS is right on..sorry.
Not talking picture but good simple "being there".
I'm not affiliated either.

737aqua
11-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Really, so you are saying that the overhead from FDS has the button perimeter lighting just like the real thing? I don't understand, from the FDS web site, the photo clearly shows that this is missing... I'm sure they are great panels, but I'm certain that they don't match the backlighting schemes that I have seen from the real plane...

These below looks rather different -- compare

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/_assets/images/products/529-large.jpg

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/a320/images/A320_cockpit1.jpg

AndyT
11-11-2008, 01:14 AM
The only real difference is the lighted square around the buttons themselves. Is that really such a big deal?

Thomas Richter
11-11-2008, 04:56 AM
The only real difference is the lighted square around the buttons themselves. Is that really such a big deal?

Hi

For Cockpitsonic it does, not in the real way but looks very impressive!

Michael Carter
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Looking at both photos, it'd be a big deal to me. It just doesn't look like it supposed to. Those lighted squares looks like they make up half or more of the lighting scheme.