PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Oh! The 737's creeping in!

Kennair
11-07-2008, 04:09 AM
I don't know what came over me, but with the enthusiasm generated by Worldflight 2008 I have gone and purchased, would you believe, a 737 MCP and a Boeing avionics kit for my PC12NG! I've seen what's happened to a number of members here going over to the 737 side so I'm not sure where this will lead.

Anyway they are a bargain from Opencockpit, although the radios will need to be assembled. The MCP is completely plug & play however (apart from the SIOC file of course). I'm hoping I can configure this for use in most sophisticated aircraft, most importantly the PC12.

Below are some pics of how I hope the avionics will end up. I'll keep you posted as to the assembly.

Cheers,

Ken.

Efe Cem Elci
11-07-2008, 04:30 AM
Hahaha... welcome to the club!

I think another reason the avionics came in so cheap is because Opencockpits is about to bring out a new one they were displaying at the Lelystad show. It hadn't even been priced for sale yet and they say it will be a few weeks before its up for sale.

Kennair
11-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Gee thanks Efe, so I've purchased out-dated stock! :) :) :)

I wonder then if the new hardware will have backlighting pre-installed? Part of the other reason for low cost on all these units from OC is the fact that they're not backlit, however they are ready to be backlit. I have purchased a pile of high bright LED's to have a go at the job myself, however I've also been investigating EL wire. I'd really like to see Joe Cygan's backlighting tutorial when he's done it.

More work for me but hey, why are we in this hobby anyway?

Ken.

Efe Cem Elci
11-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Yes if I remember correctly it will be plug and play and backlit. But I personally like the whole buy the panel and put it together approach and the OC avionics were right up at the top of my list before I had to put a temporary hold on the project as a whole.

I looked into EL wire a while back and the pros didn't seem to be worth all the cons. I also asked around about it at Lelystad and didn't get too much positive response about it from various builders.

Kennair
11-07-2008, 04:55 AM
I looked into EL wire a while back and the pros didn't seem to be worth all the cons. I also asked around about it at Lelystad and didn't get too much positive response about it from various builders.

Yes I wondered about the logistics of winding the wire around all the labeling under the panel in order to adequately cover it. However I found some cheap EL wire on ebay (from the US) that I might try for the cost of $60.

Ken.

Efe Cem Elci
11-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Well, keep us updated on how it goes. If it works and seems feasible financially vs. pratically, maybe more people will do it that way.

Kennair
11-07-2008, 05:29 AM
Will do Efe,

I'm thinking that I will document the full build for the avionics and the backlighting. I've searched high and low for concise tutorials and information on this but haven't been totally satisfied so perhaps it's my task to put it all down on paper. I'll let you know how I go, but you might find a pdf in the download section in the coming months. When you consider that each radio for example, in a kit form will set you back about 80 Euros, it's a BIG incentive!

Ken.

PaulEMB
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Ken,

I hve a very satisfactory result using bright LEDs mounted on a clear perspex backer behind the Glare panels - drill holes to mount the LED where you want it, and more holes to allow cabling from switches etc to pass through - you can get a close fit, and make a lighting panel on the bench, then fit in place.

Kennair
11-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks Paul, that sounds like a simple approach. I'll give it a go when they arrive.

Ken.

Padraig
11-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Gee thanks Efe, so I've purchased out-dated stock! :) :) :)

I wonder then if the new hardware will have backlighting pre-installed? Part of the other reason for low cost on all these units from OC is the fact that they're not backlit, however they are ready to be backlit. I have purchased a pile of high bright LED's to have a go at the job myself, however I've also been investigating EL wire. I'd really like to see Joe Cygan's backlighting tutorial when he's done it.

More work for me but hey, why are we in this hobby anyway?

Ken.

I also had the MCP from OC, back lighting it is going to be a pain to be honest. I took the whole unit apart and didn't really see an easy way to do it with out alot of hassle involved. On the other side of things, I think using the EL wire is the best route to go. I used it and it worked perfect. I used a glue gun to attach the EL in the right places and it worked out a charm.

Kennair
11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
I also had the MCP from OC, back lighting it is going to be a pain to be honest. I took the whole unit apart and didn't really see an easy way to do it with out alot of hassle involved. On the other side of things, I think using the EL wire is the best route to go. I used it and it worked perfect. I used a glue gun to attach the EL in the right places and it worked out a charm.

Thanks Padraig,

That's very encouraging. Any tips on type and size of EL wire? The ones on ebay are 3.2mm White and come in 3m length, complete with power supply, they cost around $60AUD delivered. This looked like an easy way to sneak backlighting into a tight space as you've proved.

Any chance of a photo of your work?

Ken.

fordgt40
11-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Padraig

Your post about EL wire on the Opencockpits MCP was interesting. I tried Hong Kong EL wire but it was no good - too dim. I have tried a smal scale EL panel with colour filters which nearly works ok! Having spoken to the supplier, they reckon that using 15 volts instead of 12v plus a larger capacity inverter will do the job and give me an increase in light output of circa 75% which should be ok - there would be a reduction in life (measured in 1000`s of hours!). I will post the results.

What EL wire supplier did you use?

Regards

David

Padraig
11-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Padraig,

That's very encouraging. Any tips on type and size of EL wire? The ones on ebay are 3.2mm White and come in 3m length, complete with power supply, they cost around $60AUD delivered. This looked like an easy way to sneak backlighting into a tight space as you've proved.

Any chance of a photo of your work?

Ken.

I didnt get mine from Ebay, but a, computer parts supplier in the UK. To be honest, I had the MCP for only a couple of weeks, I just wanted to get it to try it out and see what it was like etc with this SIOC application. The power supply was mains based and I think it worked on 12v +, (not sure) it was bright enough to see in the dark, and plus if you are going to cram in 3 meters then it would be a mega amount of light, but you also have the option to just snip it to what ever size you wish and resolder the ends together without any hassels. EL wire isnt anything that special.

When you are messing around with it, I would make sure you handle it with care as it does have a tendancy to loose its light output if you apply to much pressure in a certain place, (KinK the wire) but just in the kinked place only !

Another thing to note about the EL wire, I have used it for other applications other than backlighting and cockpits etc, that it does loose its luminins faster than say the light output of LEDS.

I am sorry but the MCP was sold and I do not actually have pictures of it with the EL wire mounted and in use.

The MCP version I had was the one without the box

Kennair
11-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks Padraig,

I've bought the same MCP and will assess the backlight issue once it arrives. I already have a bag of 5mm bright white LED's so I'll try PaulEMB's method first.

Ken.