PDA

View Full Version : 180 visual in Pacific Simulators

Kareem Hizam
11-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi all

I found that Pacific Simulators have 180 degree view around the cockpit, and they use PC based flight simulator.

http://www.pacificsimulators.com/site/pacificsim/files/Sim%20Low%20Res%20August%202008%20001.jpg

LINK: http://www.pacificsimulators.com/

In fact its look professional job and I would like to learn about their design details, anybody can help???

Thank you

David Withers
11-02-2008, 01:24 AM
that little beer fridge on the side full of heineken is a nice touch!

Matt Olieman
11-02-2008, 08:25 AM
I was going to grab one of those beers, but only found a computer rack.... where's the beer????? :) :) :) :) :)

Kareem, Nice pic. Very interesting, any more information on this set up?

Thanks again Kareem, much appreciated :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

David Withers
11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
he he....you old age pensioners allowed beer?:D

seriously though...i have been involved in the construction of pro level stuff for airline customers and the 180 degree visuals are further from the shell.
must admit though..their beamers are massive things.

wonder how the kiwis do it?..ie pacific sims.

must be smaller projectors. shorter focal length.

nothing like flying with 180 degree visuals. really get the feeling of motion.

its a great shot to show whats possible in the home setup.

nice one.

Kennair
11-02-2008, 11:49 AM
These guys are opening up here in Perth next year so it should be interesting to see if they provide similar wrap around views. I just spent the day at the Red Bull finals and skimpy hostesses were handing out flyers :)

Ken.

Lewis Simmons
11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Clasps fists and lets out a big YES! I can help here.

I was in the Pacific Simulators warehouse a matter of weeks ago and I can share some facts with you guys about this. Some I can't as I respect the company and their wishes to keep some things secret.

I was actually taking one of their new sims for an extensive amount of test flights in only a day, clocking about 10 hours in it.

First the visuals. Yes, there are 180 degree visuals but they are still quite far away and you can't really get that 'full window visual', where you still have bits of the window (when you look out) that don't have visuals. However a great thing they have done is frosted the third window on each side, so not to have to extend the visuals even further back for more realism, but they still get the feeling that light is travelling through it. Hard to explain :)

The shell is very much alike of that sold by FDS, where there basically no curves and all it is is a very flat, straight edge nose. Believe me, this has absolutely no effect on how it feels on the inside.

Panels are all backlit, but something is happening about them at the moment which I can't comment on.

It is true, the simulator does run on FS9, but I have to stress that this is a highly modified version, with A LOT of modified scenery, AI traffic and all the rest. Lot's of payware scenery we use is used as well, like that of Fly Tampa. I have a video recording of myself doing a flight from Hong Kong Intl to Kai Tak with the new scenery so I will post that here when I get a chance.

Seats seem to be replicas. Seat belts are also there but they don't connect up (I tried).

The throttle is very, very sturdy. Full automation with trim wheels and speed brake. Everything you would see in the Pro sims.

Software is PM, with the latest updates and then they modify it a bit (don't quote me on that) :)

Interior liners are all there and the map panels are nowhere near the quality of Phil's. (Can I note that I showed them a panel of Phil's and they were amazed at the quality so big ups to him).

Asides from that, you have an instructor station at the back, as well as a fixed high definition camera at the back with DVD recorded 'n all.

Feature I like the most though, is that when you flick the beacon on, there is a red light installed which goes like the real one, and it is amazingly realistic when you flick all the lights off in the cockpit for a night approach.

PS, I believe that they use mirrors with the projectors (again, don't quote me as I'm not 100% sure).

Any other questions, ask away!

Michael Carter
11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Well I'm glad at least my five point harness works.

Unless you were at the stand, or in fog or clouds, you'd never know that beacon was on. I think I could do without that feature unless under the above circumstances. If not under these conditions, what would it be reflecting off of that you would be able to see it?

Since loading UT Europe and dozens of add-on airports I haven't seen the real FS9 in some time. It's the only way to fly FS9.

Unless my measurements are off, wouldn't 180° encompass at least half of the #3 window?

Lewis Simmons
11-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm not really sure what it would be reflecting off but its just a personal preference.

It's hard to tell with the windows frosted but if you have the measurements then I'm sure you will be right. I'd say they would be thinking it's either a full window visual or none.

Michael Carter
11-03-2008, 12:30 AM
While flying in IFR conditions I found the beacon quite distracting as well as the strobes. In a single engine airplane it can be really bad. Turning the stobes off helps quite a bit, but vertigo can be induced by the beacon.

Sounds like quite a bit of fun in that simulator. I've seen the site videos.

Too bad about the #3 windows.

Lewis Simmons
11-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Yeah it is a shame but I'm thinking the new, pro versions of the simulators may have full wrap around. I'm not quite sure.

Have to remember that the primary use of these simulators is entertainment, but the company had their first professional sell last month which is seeing a new sim in development. Still 737, but with digital standby gauge and everything that goes with it.

Michael Carter
11-03-2008, 12:53 AM
If they get a rating from the federal authorities as a 'GO' they are a pro company now.

Kareem Hizam
11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanx Mr. Simmons for this information, this so kind of you to put it here.

I'm looking for throttle like that with full automation trim wheels and speed brake, where I can find it?

Thank you guys

Lewis Simmons
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Not a problem at all. I will get a couple of pics I took of their sim when I get a chance later on.

There is a company called Flight Simulator Center who advertise here. They recently promoted their 737 throttle, motorized by the sounds of it.

Lewis Simmons
11-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Here you go. Sorry the photos aren't too good. Took them off the phone.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w100/vac3087/IMG_0176.jpg
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w100/vac3087/IMG_0177.jpg

Jackpilot
11-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Obviously a three parts angled screen....which is incoherent with the curved enclosure of the first picture...
??