PDA

View Full Version : Paint needed..

NNomad007
10-30-2008, 05:18 AM
ok. here's another one.. the MIP structure is almost completed..ive spend almost 5 hours giving it its last details (holes drilled like the real one, soft corners, filling small holes...sand paper all over the place..etc)..i need to give the primary, and then 3 coats of paint....(im currently investigating a way to give it a realistic paint job...im actually trying to use silica -very small sand - blended into the paint to give the texture it has.......im currently testing that........lets hope all fits in

cheers to all

Alex

AndyT
10-30-2008, 05:21 AM
It looks mighty nice.
I don't know about the sand, but its worth a try I guess.

Tomlin
10-30-2008, 08:09 AM
ok. here's another one.. the MIP structure is almost completed..ive spend almost 5 hours giving it its last details (holes drilled like the real one, soft corners, filling small holes...sand paper all over the place..etc)..i need to give the primary, and then 3 coats of paint....(im currently investigating a way to give it a realistic paint job...im actually trying to use silica -very small sand - blended into the paint to give the texture it has.......im currently testing that........lets hope all fits in

cheers to all

Alex

Are you sure that it's a sand like finish? Im thinking it would be powder coated and that would give that appearance depending on the powder coat type.

Trevor Hale
10-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Looks fantastic. Once you get it painted, Its going to look amazing :)

Trev

NNomad007
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
YOu're right..it feels like powder coating...(the real one i mean).. im trying to simulate that finishing...and sadly, silica powder was the only thing that popped in my mind... though the result may be trully unpredictable....any ideas people?...i attached an image with the real one.... thats what im aimming to.

Tomlin
10-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Honestly I think that's a plastic formed piece there isnt it? The powder coating is the best option, but is only available on a metal material due to the need for an electrical charge to apply it and then the baking process. There are some texture paints availble that you may want to see at your local paint store (spray). Maybe check an automotive store as well.

NNomad007
10-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the great tips Eric.. ill do that. Ill post updates when the pieces are made

Alex