PDA

View Full Version : Triplehead2go + Widescreen projectors.

brianwilliamson
08-07-2006, 03:32 AM
For those that are interested in getting their visuals up to scratch, I would have to say that the Triplehead2go takes a lot of beating. I am running 3 widescreen projectors with a native resolution of 1280 by 720 (16:9) and the triplehead handles it extremely well. That makes the screen resolution 3840 by 720 !!
The screens are 8 feet by 4 1/2 feet each and as you can see angled back, and take up the full width of the garage. The most important part is to make sure you line the projectors up exactly in the middle and at the same distance from each screen. It is also a big help to use the zoom feature in FS2004 and set it between .75 and .33
It is most important to buy all your projectors at once so you have all the same models.
With only a day of testing, I have to again say it is fantastic. All the clouds work perfectly, and there is no out of sync at all, and only one computer. The only slight drawback is noticed on taxying, and the taxiways are angled a little bit too much, which is due to the position of my cockpit and the angle of the screens, but quite acceptable.
Hopefully this will be of some help to those battling with how to get their visuals going.
Cheers................Brian W

Rodney
08-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Most impressive! Looks like a very nice setup, one I wish to emulate. What video card are you using?

brianwilliamson
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Gooday Rodney, I am using the 6600 gt SLI with an AMD 3200. Probably will need to change when Vista and DX10 come out, as we know it is all made to be redundant !!
Cheers................Brian W

B738
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi Brian,

Check out my Aussie Builder page on my website. I'd love to add you to the list!

Email me with your details and some pics and I'll post them up!

www.b738sim.com/austbuild

Kind Regards,
Brad Heller.

brianwilliamson
08-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Thank you Brad, but I prefer at this stage to keep my project here, and I am certain that any of your viewers who are interested in any of the details of my project would be most welcome to visit this site.
Kind regards.....................Brian W.

B738
08-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Hi Brian,

My offer wasn't to replace your website but simply to provide a list of builders located in Australia. If you check the page out, it simply provides details of other Australian builders and even their website links. Its not to take over your own website.

The page has already provided links between builders in their local areas. If you still wish not to participate, thats not a problem.

Regards,
Brad Heller.

Bob Reed
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Brad. Very nice shell you have going there. Looking at your temp setup reminds me of how I flew for years! And being that I just finished a move myself my sim is in boxes and scattered over a number of rooms. I am going to make some changes while I have it all torn apart. What are you using for a interface for the hardware? Again nice site and a nice sim!

B738
08-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It's always good to hear those sorts of things from other achievers out there. I'm using IOCards for all my I/O interfacing, the hardware can be implemented everywhere and the software can do anything you want from the standard stuff to customising your own stuff.

I'm travelling to the States this Xmas to see family and upon my return, everything should be going in. Go to save every penny for this trip. Going to be in the Staes for almost 4 weeks visiting San Fran, Vegas, NY, Orlando and Hawaii. Can't wait for it. I heard a mention that there might be bone yards in Vegas. Does anyone know of any I could get some 737 parts?

steve diamond
09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
hi,matey,
fantastic visuals,amazing,now my problem im looking for a nice large image for my sim,but dont have a lot of room,so i can only use two projectors,as i can side project due to size limits,im going to try and split my main image and mirror project or fan project left and right,just off center and see how that works,
oh well ,another problem to solve,lol
cheers
steve

Manfred
09-30-2006, 02:50 AM
and as you can see

I don't see anything, not even a link to the pictures. Would someone be able to help this NOOB out please? :P

NicD
09-30-2006, 04:03 AM
I sent a PM with the same question but got no reply :(

Bob Reed
09-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey Steve. Another thing to think about for side visuals. I have flown Rob Archers sim and he has side limitations as well as he is using a real shell in a standard garage bay. What he was doing (may have changed) was using a 21" LCD in the side window. He lined it up as well as he could but the important thing here is you still got the movement ques from it which gives you the feeling of movement. A little hard to explain but I will see if he will allow me to post a few pics of his setup.

brianwilliamson
09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
NicD and Manfred, I did reply but obviously you did not receive a reply.The photos I was referring to are on http://www.ifsbi.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=536
Iwill post more on the view of the Triple head if you particularly need more information. The 3 projectors are situated almost touching the top of the cockpit at the rear, and are attached to the ceiling. The view covers 180 degrees from both front seats and the screens are 32 ft. by 4.5 ft in total. The effect is even greater using the demo of FSX, so I will be looking forward to its release shortly.
Regards................Brian W.

NicD
10-01-2006, 03:28 AM
Thanks heaps Brian - just what I was looking for!

With the triplehead2go I'm wondering if you find the FS forward view sufficent stretched across the three screens? i.e. does it matter that the left-forward and right forward views are not shown, or does the super-wide forward view only do the trick. Just wondering if there are any perspective / scaling problems at the far left/right of the screens?

cheers

Nic

brianwilliamson
10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Nic, basically you end up with a very wide view which is still the forward view but very wide. Therefore it depends where you place the pilot. The further back you go, the more top and bottom of the screen comes into view and you have a blank top and bottom area. If you angle the 2 side screens back as I have done then there is an error left and right if you are fairly close to the front screen, which is only noticeable when on the ground taxying. At this stage I thing the triplehead is the best solution, but again I suspect this will change with Vista and DX10. I do not think we will ever get the perfect solution, but we are getting very good results. Whichever way we go there will always be another way of doing it. Gets frustrating !!! Another great idea is on this site: http://www.dreamflight-cockpit.be/ ..........which makes use of wideview, and therefore has a better side view. Again I think you need to be prepared for change, especially when FSX comes out.
Hope this helps...............Brian W