PDA

View Full Version : Haven't a Clue where to begin. lol

aircanbp
10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Ok, I had saved long enough to buy all of this but I have the following PM Applications...

Boeing Type Glass Cockpit
Boeing Type MCP
PM Systems
PM CDU/FMC

As well as for hardware for now the GoFlight MCP Pro

For now I am not worried about integrating the MCP Pro, but I am confused on how to tie in all these PM Apps to control let's say Simmer's Sky 737-700 (Which is pretty much MS Default). It has no CDU or Full MCP Support like all default aircraft forcing you to only use HDG, ALT, V/S IAS, N1.

How do you use the PM apps to control the other functions such as LNAV, VNAV, advanced MCP controls, the CDU. And what computers would you group them into....
for instance....

On Computer 1 I have FS2004 running with the Go Flight modules and other hardware running off of it.

Computer 2 runs the Glass Cockpit and PMSounds

Would you run the rest on Computer 3 or split them up into two more PC's... Start slowly guys, lol I am new to this part of sim building and would be ecstatic if I found out that PM's Apps will allow a MS Default Aircraft to be controlled by all functions of a real 737 (these so called advanced options like the CDU)

Thanks

aircanbp
10-17-2008, 07:37 PM
I think I may have answered part of my question, I can control the LNAV of a default MS aircraft using PM CDU and PM MCP.

But it looks like these programs would still bnefit from an aircraft that has a mostly fully working overhead and logics system (ie. PMDG or Ariane 737)

Rodney
10-17-2008, 09:40 PM
One you didn't mention. Registered copy of FSUIPC & WideFS. Have a look at the Posky 737-800. Freeware and top notch in my book.

PM Systems possibly on another PC. Glass, MCO & CDU should work OK on one computer depending on its power and ram. You will have to experiment to see what best fits your hardware.

aircanbp
10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Oh yeah, I just finished forking out the dough on FSUIPC and WideFS this afternoon.

Glass Cockpit, MCP and CDU on one pc is alright on the computer handling it but would the MCP & CDU interfere at all with the Glass Cockpit if I have the GC Program in use on my PFD/ND/EICAS during startup. I ask this because I want to avoid as much keyboard/mouse clutter as possible in the sim

aircanbp
10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I do have another puzzling question. I have a desktop aviator 20 button interface http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...2040/index.htm
While I know this doesn't handle wiring switches easily so I will have to finde an interface card that will allow switches as well...
How do I program a custom button that I have wired into this interface in PMSystems to tell PMSystem I am trying to push a certain button.

For the time being I have been using key2mouse with exceptional results except you have to open the Overhead panel of the 737 before pushing a button that will communicate through key2mouse

Can you tell I am very new to the whole PM thing? lol

Any ideas as well and a very good, yet reasonably cheat interface card that would handle most of the overhead functions of the 737-700... at least as far as switches, buttons, rotaries and ON OFF ON style switches?

Michael Carter
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
You can trash the K2M program. Pete Dowson's FSUIPC mouse capture capability has made K2M obsolete. And you don't even have to open the panel.

I run the whole 727 overhead using this. Great stuff.

aircanbp
10-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I still would prefer to know how to program the buttons and switches through PM Systems that way I can tinker around with it. PM Systems will more then likely be the program running my LED warning and caution lights as well

Michael Carter
10-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Of course, I understand that completely. PM will do a much better job with control logic for the B737.

The 727 is unsupported so I have little choice of go-betweens for my sim. The FSUIPC was a Godsend for all unsupported aircraft builders.

JBaymore
10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
The 727 is unsupported so I have little choice of go-betweens for my sim. The FSUIPC was a Godsend for all unsupported aircraft builders.

Nope. FSUIPC's mouse macros do not work with a single one of the gauges on Matthias Liebrecht's WONDERFUL BAe 146-200 panels. So this doesn;t solve it for all of us. Unfortunately....... :( I had high hopes when he added that function. Oh well.

best,

...............john

Michael Carter
10-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry, uh, ...many unsupported aircraft builders.

aircanbp
10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Just providing an update to my progress.

Last Night I hooked up my 20 button interface http://www.desktopaviator.com/Produc...2040/index.htm to my laptop (Which is running The PM Software) for a test run. Linked it to FS2004 (Which runs on a desktop) Once everything was connected I tried to see how to assign a button to PM Systems and an LED Cuationary light as well. I had 0 luck, I tried hooking up the 20 button interface to the FS2004 PC and still had 0 luck. PM Systems noticed there was new hardware but couldn't read or accept it.

This is where I get confused. I am well knowleged in assigning keystrokes and button presses within FSUIPC to work for my aircraft, but for PM Systems I am in the dark. I noticed people on the forum talking about offsets programming.

What am I missing, if someone is able to give me a sort of step by step introduction to this starting with the plugging in of the new hardware and running of PM Systems and take it form there I would be on cloud 9 myself

Thanks guys

aircanbp
10-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Anyone have any ideas? I'm still unable to figure it out

Jackpilot
10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I run the whole 727 overhead using this. Great stuff.

Mike
Do you use PM System?

Trevor Hale
10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
When you connect your 20 button interface to the FS Computer, and through FSUIPC us the "Pull down menu" and select a function like the seatbelt sign. Flick the switch and watch on the pmsystems overhead. the switch will change state.

If you can program the buttons in FSUIPC, then you are already programming the functions in PM Systems.

Trev

aircanbp
10-22-2008, 08:00 PM
ok, I am good on that, now what about items that arn't listed in FSUIPC that are on PMSystems such as the window heat switches, the window heat test switch, and the LED's that represent the window heat, and to various other systems.

I have a few LED's wired up that can light up to represent a certain LED in the 737. But I was told that you can program PM Systems to illuminate that LED when the LED lights up in PM Systems... for example the various LEDs on the 6-pack in the glareshield.

How do I set those up, I know FSUIPC can't help me out with these. I heard people mention the method to program your hardware directly into PM Systems for the sake of LEDs but can't find the steps on Google or here.

Michael Carter
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Mike
Do you use PM System?

No, my aircraft is unsupported by PM. I use FSUIPC only.

PeterH
10-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi,

PMsystems gives you the offsets for input and output of switches resp. Lamps (LEDs)
If selected in the setup just pull the mousepointer over the switch or lamp und youŽll see the offset.

Hope this helps

rgds

Peter

aircanbp
10-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Ok That part is all set, Thanks Peter, now that I have the Offsets, where do I place these offsets to make everything work.

lol, I told you I am very new to this, that's why I wanted a step by step explanation of setting up, using, and assigning your hardware to PMSystems. I am sort of a verteran to FSUIPC as I find it to be very simplified to get to know and setup, (that I thank Pete a Dowson for) but PM Systems to me is like intorducing a mennonite to the cockpit of a 747 and saying "you will be able to figure this out easily" lol I am dumbfounded.

aircanbp
10-29-2008, 06:49 AM
I still don't know what to do or where to begin with my above post. Any ideas?

aircanbp
11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Ok, I have spent all weekend tinkering around, reading documents and trying different ideas and I still do not have any better ideas how to operate this software or program the functions I am looking for.

This is what I am trying to find out.....

What is needed to be programmed into PM Systems (and how do you do it from the start) to make certain buttons, rotaries and switches work.... but more importantly....

say that I am running low on fuel and the fuel pressure light on appropriate pump comes on to tell me this. I need to know how to tell PM Systems which LED to light up in my cockpit and when. Am I asking this the wrong way or is this what this program simplifies? http://www.technical-service-richter.de/TSRBoeing737NG.htm

Michael Carter
11-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I wish I could help, but I don't use PM.

I hope someone here will see this and lend a hand.

TobiD
11-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Best is to buy some I/O-cards. For example Phidgets. With Phidgets you can assign the functions in pmSystems even without to know the offset, you can select it from a dropdown menu. You would connect your LEDs to the Phidgets LED64 cards and the switches to the Phidgets 0/16/16 card for example. If this works with other I/O hardware I don't know. But you can use various I/O hardware with pmSystems.

JonathanRichardson
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi

As the previous poster pointed out, it is in actual fact a simple concept (if you turned back the clock 5yrs then you might have some worries which is why we invented pmSystems) pmSystems provides txt files, you simply hover your mouse over any button or switch (in development mode) it will give you the name of the varible required to be entered in the txt file used by the supported hardware i.o. cards. The supported devices are currently listed (when you press ESC key / menu) so be aware that this function is not avialable for every I/O device. But, if using phidgest, all the input and output entires will be listed in a file called phidget.txt 5678 DI xxxx or 5678 DO xxxxx The number is the card ID, the DI is for input the DO if for output (lights). xxxxx is the varible name. Beyond that are the values On / off = 1 or 0 and various other commands (listed at the top of the txt file per card). Note you have to have the I/O devices connected for pmSystems to generate and see these cards. My advice is, buy one card, see if you like it, and move forward with basic tests.

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magenta

aircanbp
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Ah, ok. In otherwords it is probable that the card I bought from Desktop Aviator doesn't work with PM Systems as when they were connected I still had the usual menus in the ESC menu. Also probably because there was no text file for the Desktop Aviator card, just the driver to make it recognize as a game controller with 20 buttons.

JonathanRichardson
11-13-2008, 04:06 AM
Correct.

Regards
Jonathan Richardson
Project Magenta