PDA

View Full Version : opencockpits usb output card prob?

jonnydaz53
10-08-2008, 02:31 PM
hi all problems problems problems ... everything i get just never works!!
at first ... then i learn about it !! hehe

all i can say thank god for this forum ............

here's the problem i have just brought your usb output card from opencockpits. when i run the test software " test usb output.exe"

firstly the five boxes at the top of the software rotate non stop with numbers? is that right?

secondly i have connected some leds from my fmc to the ground on the usb card and the postive to 59 - 63 . but they dont work when i click "all on " with the software. but when i connect the postive to the postive terminal next to the ground terminal on the usb card the led lights!. is that also right ?

my kit so far.!!!
gf mcp - working
op efis - working
gf 737 rudder - working
fmc - keys working ... no screen or leds yet...

thanks john d

kiek
10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
secondly i have connected some leds from my fmc to the ground on the usb card and the postive to 59 - 63 . but they dont work when i click "all on " with the software. but when i connect the postive to the postive terminal next to the ground terminal on the usb card the led lights!. is that also right ?

Yes. The USB outputs card works with a common + and all the outputs are separate grounds. That is quite opposite from the Master Card which works with a common GND and separate +5 V outputs.

Note that the common + for the USB output card can be set to 5V but also to higher voltages; for leds I recommend to use 5V

Nico

jonnydaz53
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
ok nico that kind on makes sense i think i have got the wiring wrong on the fmc.
. i have all of the gnd connected together but with the resistor on the negative side of the led.

can you tell me the correct way to wire an led and resistor.

many thanks

john d

kiek
10-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi,
USB card settings:
connect +5V and gnd to the POWER connector (NOT the external option)

JMP1: OPEN
JMP2: CLOSED

Connect POWER terminal (second one from the bottom right) to a resistor;
connect resistor to + side of led;
connect - side of led to one of the outputs, say # 63 (next to the POWER Terminal

regards,
Nico

jonnydaz53
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
ok i understand now .but can i connect the power terminal to lets say 4 resistors but bring the negative back per wire . so i mean can use one feed from the power terminal? also a newbie question dies it matter which way round the resistors go? i think thats every thing..... hehe

this is going to be long haul !!!!
thanks nico

regards john d

kiek
10-08-2008, 04:40 PM
ok i understand now .but can i connect the power terminal to lets say 4 resistors but bring the negative back per wire .

Yes, you can.

Nico

jonnydaz53
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
does it matter which way round the resistors go?

regards john d

kiek
10-08-2008, 04:56 PM
No.

It also does not matter whether you put the resistor in the + lead of the resistor (between power and resistor) or in the - lead (between GND and resistor), as long as you put a resistor in series.

Nico

Efe Cem Elci
10-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Nico,
There are a few too many resistors in there! :lol:
I think you meant to say:

It also does not matter whether you put the resistor in the + lead of the LED (between power and LED) or in the - lead (between GND and LED), as long as you put a resistor in series.

jonnydaz53
10-09-2008, 02:10 AM
i have put 1 resistor per led. have i done it right?

regards john d

kiek
10-09-2008, 02:20 AM
Hi Nico,
There are a few too many resistors in there! :lol:
I think you meant to say:
indeed, i was in a hurry, it was late ; -)

kiek
10-09-2008, 02:21 AM
i have put 1 resistor per led. have i done it right?

yes on resistor per led is ok as long as you take the right value ...

jmig
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
One warning for people like me.

The Outputs card and the Inputs card look exactly alike. But they are wired differently.

You can't swap them. As someone well know to me tried. ;)

kiek
10-09-2008, 12:18 PM
The Outputs card and the Inputs card look exactly alike. But they are wired differently.

To be more precise:
The Outputs connector and the Inputs connector of the Master Card look exactly alike (from a physical point of view), but their terminals have different meanings.

Note that inputs are in groups of 9 with a shared GND (for that group of 9) while the 38 outputs at a connector all share a common ground. Also note that there is a physical pin numbering and a logical pin numbering that are different.

The USB Outputs cards outputs are all GNDs while the Master Card outputs are all +5V.

skywatch
10-09-2008, 05:35 PM
one resistor per led is right as far as I can see.

Skywatch

jmig
10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
one resistor per led is right as far as I can see.

Skywatch

That is correct unless your wire them in series. Then one resistor is all you need and you might get way with none. That will depend on the voltage and the color LEDs.

super2277
03-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Hi! guys! i have the Opencockpits output card and wondering the voltage for the outputs? for 1 single led? because i connect 2 leds togheter and one 30 Ohm! is that right? what voltage do the output goes on?

nolatron
03-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi! guys! i have the Opencockpits output card and wondering the voltage for the outputs? for 1 single led? because i connect 2 leds togheter and one 30 Ohm! is that right? what voltage do the output goes on?

The voltage output is 5v but the resistor value depends on the LED's specs. For example for my annuniciators I have red, green, yellow, and amber dual leds. They all use different resistors because they're all different specs. The green even uses two resistors.

Here's a good calculator you can use to find what resistor value you need for each LED.

LED series parallel array wizard (http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz)

pshz11
03-14-2013, 03:17 PM
It is easy to calculate. Let's say, you are using standart 5V output (btw usbouts allows you to use higher voltages by removing one of the jmps). And you have 2 leds 1.8V and 20mA - 0.02A (this data is available in led datasheet or from seller who sold you leds) connected in series. Take sum of led voltages - 1.8 x 2 = 3.6 (as they are connected in series). Than substract it from source voltage. 5 - 3.6 = 1.4. Finaly divide result by amps of single led. 1.4/0.02=70. It is 70ohm resistor you have to use with this two leds.

Some times sellers provide voltage and amp ranges (e.g. 1.8-2.2 and normal 20mA, max 30mA). Always use lower values - this will increase your leds lifetime.

kiek
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
If I may add to the clarification:

It is important to realise that a led is a light emitting diode. A diode has no resistance in one direction and infinite resistance in the other direction... If you would you put 5 V over a led in the direction in which has no resistance the current will become infinite and you will blow up the led instantly. That's why you need a so called current-resistor in series with the led (does not matter at which side) in order to get the current through the led at the optimum level; for a lot of leds that optimum level is 20 mA, but you can find that in the documentation of the led, same as the fixed voltage drop over the led.

super2277
03-15-2013, 04:05 AM
If I may add to the clarification:

It is important to realise that a led is a light emitting diode. A diode has no resistance in one direction and infinite resistance in the other direction... If you would you put 5 V over a led in the direction in which has no resistance the current will become infinite and you will blow up the led instantly. That's why you need a so called current-resistor in series with the led (does not matter at which side) in order to get the current through the led at the optimum level; for a lot of leds that optimum level is 20 mA, but you can find that in the documentation of the led, same as the fixed voltage drop over the led.

Okay thanks for help :) so i need 33ohm for green LED

but if i take out the jump1 and connect 5.17v from my PSU, and connect it to the output card, will the USBoutput card send out 5.17v or 5v still? and on the output card the red goes on the right side and black on left? because i dont have the plug for connecting

kiek
03-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Here is info about the jumper settings and the connector (http://www.lekseecon.nl/iocards.html#USBOutputs)

Do note that the 64 outputs of the Opencockpits Outputs card share a common +5V, so the output pin is the GND pin. This is important for how to place your led...

super2277
03-15-2013, 04:32 AM
Here is info about the jumper settings and the connector (http://www.lekseecon.nl/iocards.html#USBOutputs)

Do note that the 64 outputs of the Opencockpits Outputs card share a common +5V, so the output pin is the GND pin. This is important for how to place your led...

Okay thanks! but i burned my card wire when i tested this before i used the resistor! but only the gold line from the 2 jumpers was burned! can i use 2 wire and soldiring it togheter and the card will work again?