PDA

View Full Version : Final Glass Installation

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I took out the piece of plate glass I had cut last week and threw it away. I thought it was too dangerous having untempered, very thin sheet glass installed in the cockpit.

The new windows have just been cut and installed. 1/2" plexiglass. That stuff cuts really easy with a sabre saw.

I'm not as happy with this as I would have been with real glass. It has a very slight blue hue to it and is not as clear as glass of the same thickness, but it's a lot cheaper, lighter, and most importantly, safer.

Can't be running my bier stein into plate glass y'know. :mrgreen:

Note the new PPG decals:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/window001.jpg

Tomlin
10-01-2008, 02:36 PM
If I didnt know any better, Id think you took part of a 727 and cut it off and placed it in your home. Well done Mike!

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
That would have probably been a lot easier than what I've done up to now!

Thanks Eric. :-D

Now I just have to get a TH2G and another couple of monitors.

AndyT
10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
At least the haze isn't purple....

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Jimmy would have loved it.

luisgordo
10-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Looks real nice!! Looking forward to getting some space to take things to the next level too...

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 04:00 PM
I'd have liked to have had both halves, but I'll settle for at least the important half. I'm a little pressed for enough room to have an entire nose section in my house too.

I try not to look to the right too much while flying. ;)

AndyT
10-01-2008, 04:03 PM
That's why we only fly to airports with Left Traffic.

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah, but most holds suck unless you're IMC. ;)

warvet
10-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I still dont understand why in the world you even need window glass in a sim Mike, after all the function of a window in an aircraft is to protect the pilots from massive Airblasts in the face, debris and of course pressurization none of these things you have to face. Thats like Putting wings on a sim it has no purpose whatsoever when you could spend that money on things that are more functional. After all, it will only reduce your viewing quality and isnt tht why we spend so much money on high end comps and projectors to get max quality visuals. *shaking his head* I really dont get it.But that JMO

Tim

Paul G
10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm kind of half way on Tim's comment. I use plexi-glass too but not for the most central part of the windshield. Reason? Mainly complexity with what I'm building, but also I think it will pick up on other lights in the room which a real plane would not.

However, while it might appear decoration, having to look through reflections from inside the cockpit does present some realism. In fact I have prototyped a basic environmental simulator that could not work without having the canopy there (Tim knows what I'm talking about).

When I get pushback, I see reflection of the pushback tug flashing orange light in my canopy. The pilot cannot actually see the light (so to speak) but is aware that there's one below his line of sight. Well that was the intention of the design.

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I still dont understand why in the world you even need window glass in a sim Mike, after all the function of a window in an aircraft is to protect the pilots from massive Airblasts in the face, debris and of course pressurization none of these things you have to face. Thats like Putting wings on a sim it has no purpose whatsoever when you could spend that money on things that are more functional. After all, it will only reduce your viewing quality and isnt tht why we spend so much money on high end comps and projectors to get max quality visuals. *shaking his head* I really dont get it.But that JMO

Tim

Mostly Tim, To try and isolate myself from the rest of the room, which is hard enough without a right side of a shell. I'm trying to get 'away' from the room environment if you will. It's difficult to do without the right side of the shell as it is.

The photos I post of this build only show the left side. It doesn't make too much of an impression showing my chimney and my obstruction wall where the FO's station is supposed to be. "Oh yeah, that's a simulator in a basement, I can see the chimney and other crap in the way. "

I didn't spent over $100 bucks on plexiglass because it looked good. Though is does, whether anyone else thinks so or not. I bought it to isolate me futher from the room.

JBaymore
10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
It is pitch dark.....not a BIT of light. You walk along a hallway sand suddenly the hallway opens up into a giant cathedral space. From the tinly little changes in the way sounds happen.... you instantly know you are in a huge room.

The same thing happens when you enclose the sim. Suddenly you are inside a small space. It gets even MORE realistinf whrn the windows go in.

THAT is why the windows matter..... along with the reflection of the INSIDE cockpit lights.

I understand, completely ;)BSW.

best,

...............john

NicD
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Mike... while you're cutting glass... cut a huge piece of mirror and then place it along the righthand side of your cockpit. And HEY PRESTO ... when you look to your right you have a full cockpit with the right side looking just as good as the left!

And a bonus.. there will be an F/O there too who looks an awful lot like you. :D

But seriously... the 727 is looking great!

Michael Carter
10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks, and the sound has changed as well. It really feels like I'm sitting in a 727...as long as I don't look to the right...too much.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/window001.jpg

warvet
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Well you explained it perfectly Mike, that makes excellent sense thanks for laying it out like that. Well it seems to be working and the Right mirror idea Mike could actually work :) and ya your 727 is looking sharp for sure.

Tim

ak49er
10-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey man I like the glass, and to further the thought of a mirror on the right side, how about a large poster like image of the exact perspective one would see sitting in the captains chair looking right at the F/O side?

AndyT
10-03-2008, 08:02 PM
That will work great till you try and walk thru it.

NicD
10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Oh I don't know.. I always have a smashing time in my cockpit. I hope that's not a bad reflection on me. :D

Michael Carter
10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
That's why I removed the real glass. I like a smashing good time in the cockpit too, but I don't want to be the cause of it. :D

Michael Carter
10-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey man I like the glass, and to further the thought of a mirror on the right side, how about a large poster like image of the exact perspective one would see sitting in the captains chair looking right at the F/O side?

I wonder how I could do that? I like that idea.

Michael Carter
10-03-2008, 10:57 PM
I wonder if this is how new aircraft smell?

I have all of this new plastic, paint, and window sealer in the sim. I'm getting that 'new car smell' when I'm sitting in it. Oh, and that 'used Boeing equipment smell' too

Efe Cem Elci
10-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Well it'll do till you get a hold of some authentic Boeing windows ;)

Michael Carter
10-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Not for what they cost. Even used, a #5 eyebrow window is $300 US. A #2 & #3 window are $400 each. Need a forward #1? Try $700 big ones.

And no 8130 either.