PDA

View Full Version : Easy or Hard way

mstutz44
10-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Hi
I’m building a universal prop modeled after the glass cockpit Cessna 182 Skylane. I am using FSX as my platform. I have 2 options

Options 1 I could use Leo Bodnar’s Precision Joystick Controller BU0836 and make custom controllers for the yoke, throttle, and pedals.
I would use the program Wideview and put 2 screens in the cockpit and control the rest of the buttons with the Hagstrom KE- USB108. I would program each key combo right in FSX.

Option 2 I could use Opencockpits Master, and Expansion cards for my I/O and use Project Magenta’s General Aviation glass cockpit.

With option 1 I get ease and not much chance for upgrades. I’m almost to my limit in expandability. I’m limited to the functions Microsoft has set for me.

With option 2 I get more complexity with more freedom.

What is your opinion?

XOrionFE
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
I would use a different approach alltogether. In fact, I did.

Get the PM package and use a KE108 for inputs. The KE108 also has 3 inputs for joystick axis so you dont need the Bodnar card unless you need more. Cockpit Aviator also has some cards. The KE108 and also do two rotary encoders. Only downside to KE108 is no outputs. I plan on buying an OpenCockpit Outputs card for that

mstutz44
10-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I will have an x and y for yoke, 1 rudder, 2 toe brakes, 1 throttle, 1 prop speed, 1 mixture, and 3 flaps (182 only uses 2, but I like to keep it open). Thats 11 pots inputs I will need altogether. I also thought about using hall sensors on some.

I don't think I will need any outputs because they will be in the screens on the G-1000

Jackpilot
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Have a look at the Goflight RMK modules . Radios, encoders, toggles...etc
They allow a lot of customization, many many functions are covered and easy as 1 2 3 to select, radios are bulletproof.

http://www.goflightinc.com/order/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=lse25uv1ruk9pnjl9vvc4mcmo6