PDA

View Full Version : Back to Oktoberfest

Michael Carter
09-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Enroute to Frans Joseph Strauss from London.

Strangest thing happened shortly out over the Channel, #1 engine kept surging every few minutes. Everything looked normal and absolutely no failures were turned on.

The engine would decrease to around 60% N1 and I'd play with the throttle and it would move back to it's previous setting. It did that until I started the descent into Munich and then kept surging until I lost control of the engine at 55% N1.

I just shut it down and continued the descent and approach on the remaining two engines. Wish I could find the CB for that damned horn. Until the landing gear came out and flaps went to 25 (max for this approach) that horn was going off every time I moved the remaining throttles.

Nice and breezy in the cockpit today too. :D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/EDDM002.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/boeing722/EDDM001.jpg

ivar hestnes
09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Very nice Michael.

But hey, where is your stripes:)

Michael Carter
09-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm wearing my Boeing Aerospace Support St. Louis polo today.

I never had an engine do that before on this aircraft. Must have been something in FS. :?:

ivar hestnes
09-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Guess you are well enough dressed then:D. Guess you need to be dressed up now that you have cooling in there:)

Your cockpit looks extremely nice. You should get some real photos of an airport and scale them up, then place the photos outside your window and take a photo. Would guess no pilot could tell the difference from your simulator and a real aircraft.

You the man:)

Michael Carter
09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks Ivar. I have a bunch of little details to clean up in the cockpit, and still don't know what I'm gonna do with that eyebrow trim.

I seriously thought about just slapping some paint on it and let it go for now until I can come up with something else.

It's great fun the way it is though. The glass really encloses the whole thing and you notice the reflections from the indicator lights.

Do you get much flying in lately?

ivar hestnes
09-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Not too much flying here. Waiting for some aluminium tubing so I can finish my yoke. But made a video today:D.

Cant wait to get the yokes in place, but it is a couple more weeks I guess.

Michael Carter
09-28-2008, 03:23 PM
What are you using for now?

ivar hestnes
09-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Saitek x-52 at the moment.

Michael Carter
09-30-2008, 07:58 AM
I found out what the #1 engine problem was.

A pot wire had come off of the input card that sits between the throttle/control stand and the RT box. It was intermittent as the wire was just barely touching the pin on the card.

I probably knocked it loose while monkeying around in that area a day or so before.

Tomlin
09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Mike, it's looking more and more complete all the time! Great pics.

JBaymore
09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I never had an engine do that before on this aircraft. Must have been something in FS. :?:

It must be contageous. I just had a similar "emergency" happen while flying online on the MC FSHost server the other night with Chuck.

I had been flying on the MyCockpits FSHost server for almost 2 hours. Had filed a KLAX - KSFO flight plan and had just about completed it. Like you, I literally had a totally unexpected "emergency" occur in the pit as I was about 30- 40 nm out on descent.

Suddenly I lost both left engines at the same time (in my four engine BAe 146-200)! The EICAS suddenly lit up like a christmas tree with lots of red warnings. I was kind of caught by surprise (which is EXACTLY the way it should happen...... none of this "failure of engine #3 in 10 to 60" minutes crap.)

While continuing on the last of the descent with the remaining engines at flight idle, I was in the pit flying the plane and troubleshooting the source of the problem. No copilot ;). Looking at the various pit displays I traced it to some sort of "errant signal" that apparently had shut off the HP fuel valves to the left pair of engines. Got the valves operational and did a hot flight start on the two engines. Whew.

Then right at minimums, the darn situation recurred. I pounded on the rudder and hit the throttles on the remaining engines, pulled up the gear and did a go around with the stall horn just starting to sound for a second. Close one. Managed to get airspeed and once stable got the darn valves open again and restarted engines again.

Spent some time verifying the aircarft situation as stable again and then went around and landed it ........ but by now with the remaining fuel in an imbalanced condition and rather low. Probably should have figured out if I could have diverted and spent some time rebalancing the fuel. But I didn't. Not a pretty landing....but the crash detect didn't activate so I guess most of us on the plane likely survived the ordeal.

After touching down and parking I got up into the overhead area and found the apparent cuplrit: the usb hub that is hooked to some of the Phidgets. I think it is "going south".

Got the sim restarted and was about to do a series of touch and go-s..... when the main sim computer locked right up.

New hub on the way. ;)

This is one aspect of a simpit that is absolutely WONDERFUL (but frustrating too). You can actually GET a "real" simulated emergency situation when you least expect it. A good reason to practice your scans and stay attentive.

best,

..................john

mauriceb
09-30-2008, 10:41 AM
It must be contageous. I just had a similar "emergency" happen

I'm afraid some of you guys are beginning to lose your marbles. :roll: This make believe world you live in is affecting your sanity.

Now, repeat after me.....there are no emergencies in my simulator.....I can walk out without a parachute anytime I feel like it.... I don't need to carry a life jacket in my cockpit.... my engines will not catch fire.... nobody is going to hijack my plane.... it doesn't matter if landing gear fails, wing falls off, engines flame out in the middle of the Pacific, bird strike on take off.....

None of this matters...you WILL survive unscathed unless of course you ignore your better half while dealing with your fake 'emergency' and she pulls the plug on you (or other significant anatomical part) :D :D

Maurice

Michael Carter
09-30-2008, 11:00 AM
May be, but it's still so much fun when it's unexpected. Especially since it had nothing to do with FS.

I let it run in that condition until top of descent, but I was better off shutting it down completely for the approach and landing.

Sounds like you had a good time too John. I'm glad my failure wasn't any more serious than a loose connector.

Eric, today I'm working on finishing out that utility panel aft of the #3 window behind the #5 eyebrow window. Since John's real 727 utility panel wasn't going to work, I've got a real good copy worked up on the bench.

I'm working on the rheostat lightplate for the reading light right now. Just taking a short break. Should have some photos up by later this afternoon.

I sure do get a lot done on vacation.:D

JBaymore
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't need to carry a life jacket in my cockpit....

You mean that I can reclaim that space in the pit?

my engines will not catch fire

I see a fire panel on the overhead. If they won't catch fire... then why is it there? Aha.... got you on that one.

nobody is going to hijack my plane.

You mean that reinforced door I spent $10,000 on and the new 9 mm pistol are NOT necessary?

it doesn't matter if landing gear fails

Oh yeah? You're saying I don't need to do those airport flyovers to get comfirming visuals on the condion of the gear anymore? Or crawl into the bowels of the pit to find the pump lever?

engines flame out in the middle of the Pacific

WHAT???? How come I have the "flight start" position on my overhead engine control panel then? Huh?

bird strike on take off

Then why is it in the aircraft ops manual in the pit library?

What the heck are you talking about Maurice? :lol::lol::lol:

mauriceb
09-30-2008, 12:38 PM
You mean that reinforced door I spent $10,000 on and the new 9 mm pistol are NOT necessary?

Only if you are married with children. Well OK, I guess you can use rubber bullets if you must :D

And as far as the life jacket is concerned, you probably won't need it in New Hampshire. Matt on the other hand in Florida .... :p

Maurice