PDA

View Full Version : Mycockpit FS Server Scenery

Bob Reed
09-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi guys. Thought I would start a new thread on this. So.. What scenery are we settling ion for Florida? It will help if we all use the same.... I would like to get it loaded in the FS machine tonight!

Trevor Hale
09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
LOL We should Standby with this for now, as some new scenery is being created as we speak.

Trev

blueskydriver
09-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey All,

I went to the server site and nobody flying...? Maybe, we could setup some pre-defined dates and times to fly together? Also, if someone can post scenery/add-ons (free of course) all in one place, that would be good for all of us collectively and they should be for FS2004 and/or FSX.

Please list times based on UTC.

Thanks,

John

N242AM
09-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Why would you want a "home base" scenery? Wouldn't that mean every flight would originate there? That's rather boring. Plus, KMCO is a very detailed scenery for some computers to render.

I like John's idea. Someone posts a:

Date
Time
Departure - Arrival Airport
Detailed Flight Plan
Gate/Parking location your aircraft will be at (so others don't park on top of you)
Any thing else?

Bob Reed
09-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Why would you want a "home base" scenery? Wouldn't that mean every flight would originate there? That's rather boring. Plus, KMCO is a very detailed scenery for some computers to render.

I like John's idea. Someone posts a:

Date
Time
Departure - Arrival Airport
Detailed Flight Plan
Gate/Parking location your aircraft will be at (so others don't park on top of you)
Any thing else?

We just want a home base.. There is no reason you can not fly from or to where ever you want. There are no rules on the server that state you have to start here... And I am not going to make any. The server is for open flying.

Michael Carter
09-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Munich, on the north ramp

AndyT
09-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Anytime you log into the flight srever, it would be good if you logged into TeamSpeak also. That way, you can chat with whoever else is online flying.

Bob Reed
09-29-2008, 09:17 AM
Anytime you log into the flight srever, it would be good if you logged into TeamSpeak also. That way, you can chat with whoever else is online flying.

This is a good idea, but again.. Not mandatory. More people are starting to log in so I will set some rules. Nothing fancy, just to keep spme order.

blueskydriver
09-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I was hoping that we could do something together, as well as the server being open to anytime flying. Maybe, like once a week we could pick a day and time that we would all log in and fly; starting from wherever. If you can make that date and time, that would be great...

This would give me something to look forward too; to fly with folks who most likely are building some sort of cockpit (desktop style or sit in style). Thus, I can stop going to gamespy and hoping for some professional pilots, as opposed to the childish behavior that sometimes exists there.

I'm generally thinking like a club night. I do this in an RC club; we all go fly together on Wednesdays if the weather is good. Of course, us sim pilots would not have to worry about that...to the point of not flying anyway.

What about Saturdays and/or Sundays? This way both sides of the globe can fly at the same time. Or, whatever days that would work for that to happen. I game for anything...

John

JBaymore
09-29-2008, 11:07 AM
John,

It is a great idea. However it really takes someone to have the time, drive, expertise, and initiative to "take the lead" and organize such things.

Another potential issue is ALWAYS the "time zone factor". From doing this kind of thing on another flight server..... we find that there is a tendency for people from similar timezones to just fly together. Occasionally people will go out of their way to meet up for some percieved "special event".....but often that is a big obstacle. Flightsimming is supposed to be FUN....... not result in going to work feeling terrible because of lack of sleep.

When it is noon here on the east coast of the USA..... it is 1 AM in Tokyo. ;)

Regularly scheduled flights are a good idea. That gets a pattern established. Once a week is great. But don't expect that everyone will show up all the time. With enough people overall participating in online flying, on any given day/time.... there likely will be a representative sample.

On that other server, things are arranged as what get called "Tours". For example, a series of hops of about 1 to 1 1/2 hours duration are created in some geographical area. Each week the next hop flightplan is published for people to look at. Sometimes links to freeware addon scenery is contributed by people reading the tour thread. Usually these places offer some interesting terrain to fly over or approaches to make. Prime candidates are places like the alps, the rockies, island hopping (for challenge), and so on. Places to avoid are likely stuff like the US midwest due to "hours of flatness" .

Another potential issue to look at for planning is the IAS compatibility of the group of aircarft, and the capabilities of the airports to handle a wide range of aircraft. If someone is in a Cessna 172 simpit, and I am in my BAe 146-200 pit, and another person is in their 747 pit..... well..... issues can come up as you can imagine. Even if we start as a group, it is possible that different people will be arriving at the destination over a wide spread of time. (If you have ActiveSky with wake turbulence activated, that Cessna taking off behind the 747 better watch out!)

Anyway... I am certainly "up" for participating within what my work and life schedule allows.

best,

....................john

blueskydriver
09-29-2008, 02:44 PM
John,

I totally agree with you that time zones would be an issue and the idea that this could be a job for someone, but what I was meaning is that we just say "Wednesdays (or whatever day) are common night" (for example). Then, if a person can make it, they just log in and fly as normal.

The point is, instead of a once in while special event, there is one night each week that others will know that I or we would be flying, if possible.

Finally, I dont want to make this a complicated thing, just want sometime that I can plan to fly with others here at MyCockpit.

Thanks,

John

AndyT
09-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Or we don't worry about time zones and just use them to our advantage.
Lets say we will do a 2 hour flight at 5pm on Saturday.
Then at 6pm, a new group comes in and takes off while the first group is halfway there.
At 7 pm the first group is landing and the second is halfway there while the next group is taking off.
With this kind of round-robin flying, we should have someone in the air to fly with almost all the time on one day a week. That gives everyone a nice chance to fly. And you can come in early or later and still be flying with someone.

Like was said above, we can post the flight in the forum and give everyone a week to get any scenery and prep their flight plans.

blueskydriver
09-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Andy,

I get what your driving at and that would be excellent! To add to this and to consider all flyers; if we use 5pm GMT/UTC that would mean I could start at my local UTC (UTC -6) time (11AM CST) and fly. Then when 5pm for me arrives the folks who did not start early would just be starting. Plus, the folks who did not start at 5pm in Europe for example, could still join in, In which case the time would be 11PM (UTC) for them.

So, for 24 hours there could be a lot of flying going on. Saturday would the best day I think... Maybe, we could start this Saturday? Andy what airport do you think would should start at on Scenery we should get?

Others please chime in...

Thanks,

John

N242AM
09-29-2008, 07:45 PM
To me, the point was for someone to post:

A flight is planned Tuesday, 30 Sep, at 1900 local time (7pm).
Departure is Salt Lake City Intl and destination is Las Vegas.
Estimated flight time is 80 minutes.
Route is .........
I will be flying the Southwest Air 737 parked at Gate C6.
Default FSX/FS9 scenery and real weather download.

All who are interested in that flight can meet at the specificed date, time, location.

Maybe someone can't meet that scheduled depature time and posts:

A flight is planned Tuesday, 30 Sep, at 2100 local time (9pm).
Departure is Orlando Intl and destination is Atlanta.
Estimated flight time is 65 minutes.
Route is .........
I will be flying the United 767 parked at Gate A2.
Default FSX/FS9 scenery and real weather download.

We would fly as a group with interval take-offs. If no one else shows up for the departure time, you fly the route solo. You were going to fly it anyway, correct.

Just my suggestion.

blueskydriver
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
N242AM,

Yes, what your saying is good too... Keep doing things as they are and/or someone can say hey I'm doing this at such & such time, on whatever day and at this place, etc.

However, if one day a week is an expected day, then you, me or anyone else will likely fly and post the information because we'd know that the chances of someone else flying with us will be greater. And that of course is my point, I want to fly with you and other folks here in MYC.

Do you think that Saturdays are good?

Thanks,

John