PDA

View Full Version : My Learjet 45 Project

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 09:18 PM
Here is the start of my project. MIP comes first.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionsbelt/sets/72157607438274504/

Yoke design came from ideas I got from looking at work of Kennair. (Thanks Kennair, it works great!)

Regards,

Scott

Bob Reed
09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Very nice... I really like how you made the yoke mechanics! Did you know you can post pictures on this site? Just to let you know. Look forward to watching this project!

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Very nice... I really like how you made the yoke mechanics! Did you know you can post pictures on this site? Just to let you know. Look forward to watching this project!

Well I have posted some but didnt know if I should post as many as this build may entail. It also says in the forum description that one should post links to other sites so I assumed I needed to store elsewhere and link back to it.

Michael Carter
09-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Looks great! I like the yoke engineering.

Bob Reed
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Well I have posted some but didnt know if I should post as many as this build may entail. It also says in the forum description that one should post links to other sites so I assumed I needed to store elsewhere and link back to it.

You can upload them all to this site and link to them here...

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 09:50 PM
You can upload them all to this site and link to them here...

I just posted them Bob. Thank you. I guess I read into the description. When I looked back at the Photo Gallery I noticed there is unlimited space so I posted here so everything is easily in one place.

Scott

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Looks great! I like the yoke engineering.

Thank you Michael.

BTW, I know that a Learjet 45 has the yoke on a column but I chose to simplify :-)

The engineering is really from Kennair. I saw his dual setup and then created this for a single. I used for about a month on my GA setup and it works fantastic. It is interfaced to the POT inputs on the Hagestrom KE108 (great card).

Scott

ronjonrollo
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Moving along nicely! Are you going to build a second yoke system?

Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida USA

Michael Carter
09-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I've yet to get that card, but it's high on the list along with radios.

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Moving along nicely! Are you going to build a second yoke system?

Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida USA

Not right away but judging by the setup of the copilot side I could do something similiar to what Kennair did and it would work although it would probably come right through the pressurization panel. Where the pilot side sits is perfect because it is in a blank spot in the lower panels. Most likely I will only have my kids sitting in the copilot seat and since they are all 2 years old right now I can make them a stand with my old CH Yoke and they can just pretend.

XOrionFE
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
I've yet to get that card, but it's high on the list along with radios.

It is really nice and easy to program. I also used the rotary inputs for the Dual Rotary knob on my GA Pit GPS Panel. It worked great as well. What I am going to have to do now though is get an output card of some type (maybe the outputs card from Open Cockpits). I probably should have got both input and output from same vendor like FDS or Open Cockpits but the Hagestrom has been great and they are really nice to work with. I will figure it out when I get there I guess.

Michael Carter
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm using the LP24 for the overhead right now.

I have trouble with ghosting so I had to use diodes. The card can't recognise a SPST toggle switch, etc. I know I'd be better off with the new one.

So many upgrades to do.

XOrionFE
09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Here are some update photos. Still working on MIP. Made the base for MIP to sit on and figured out monitor mounting for my 3 22" LCDs for outside views. Working my way up the MIP and about to start the top deck. Next will come all of the various individual panels.

Also ordered about 60 AML21 switches on Ebay.

Best of all, I start my Fall vacation schedule now which basically for me means taking every Friday off for 3 day weekends in October! I should be able to make some good progress.

Here are some pics.

Scott Wegner
Sugar Grove, IL

ronjonrollo
09-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Scott,
Looks like you are making some serious progress on the MIP! Very impressive.
Take care,
Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida USA

Tomlin
09-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Looking REAL good Scott!

Thanks for sharing!

TasKiNG
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
That's looking great Scott,

I like the way you have mounted the yoke and may do something similar now I've seen yours. Its a bit more practical that having a column coming up from the floor especially when mine will also have to double as my computer desk.

Cheers

XOrionFE
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
That's looking great Scott,

I like the way you have mounted the yoke and may do something similar now I've seen yours. Its a bit more practical that having a column coming up from the floor especially when mine will also have to double as my computer desk.

Cheers

Yes,

Works extremely well. If you need anything let me know. Kennair has photos of a similiar setup with dual yokes.

Regards

XOrionFE
10-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Here are some new pics. Yes, that is my ugly mug in the captains chair...

Michael Carter
10-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Great job man!

The outside view is terrific!

XOrionFE
10-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Thanks Mike

Yeah, I think the TripleHead2Go with 22" LCDs works pretty well. Add the TrackIR and it is really immersive. FSX is running GEX and UTX but I still need to purchase FEX to complete the graphics. GEX and UTX are awesome.

brynjames
10-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah, I think the TripleHead2Go with 22" LCDs works pretty well. Add the TrackIR and it is really immersive.

I have just got the excellent TrackIR, and it has probably put back my pit building plans by at least 5 years! I hadn't thought of combining a pit with TrackIR.

Seriously though, don't you find that using TrackIR destroys the illusion of being in your "real" cockpit? I always use it with a Virtual Cockpit - I presume you are using it only for the outside views with your "real" instruments staying stationary while the outside view rotates as you turn your head.

I wonder if any other pit builders are using TrackIR?

--
Bryn

XOrionFE
10-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I have just got the excellent TrackIR, and it has probably put back my pit building plans by at least 5 years! I hadn't thought of combining a pit with TrackIR.

Seriously though, don't you find that using TrackIR destroys the illusion of being in your "real" cockpit? I always use it with a Virtual Cockpit - I presume you are using it only for the outside views with your "real" instruments staying stationary while the outside view rotates as you turn your head.

I wonder if any other pit builders are using TrackIR?

--
Bryn

No, I usually use track-ir without the VC. It really helps when you are on a downwind and looking back at runway for timing turn to base when flying a GA plane. In the learjet it is just nice to be able to pan around and look down. Many times I turn it off while flying so views stay stationary while I move my head. The left button on my homemade yoke toggle trackir on and off while the right button on the yoke recenters my view if it gets off.

Nothing and I mean nothing beats having an actual cockpit in front of you for sense of realism.

Tomlin
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Nothing and I mean nothing beats having an actual cockpit in front of you for sense of realism.

Couldnt agree more Scott!

Efe Cem Elci
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Are we talking actual live authentic cockpit or do fully developed sim 'pits get included in the category?

XOrionFE
10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
hehe

I was referring to simulator pits but of course it you want to get technical....real thing is hard to beat.

Efe Cem Elci
10-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Agreed on both accounts!

Just wanted to make sure :)

Kris Stow
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Scott,

Man, your pit is turning out great!! Being offshore it took forever to pull up those photos but got to say "super well worth the wait". I cant wait until all of us are sitting in our complete pits (will they ever be completed..haha) enjoying a nice flight in the clouds.

Also I will send over the wiring schematics for the throttle setup, did I see you say you owned a CH Products quad, if so that will be perfect no special boards needed.

Talk to you later bro!!,

XOrionFE
10-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you Kris.

No, I dont have a CH Quad but I can figure it out. I have a DA 2090 board I can use for connecting pots and any switches can either be interfaced to the 2090 or to my Hagestrom KE108. Lots of work to do for sure....

Per Alm
10-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Nice project! You've done a great job!:razz:

Regards

Joe Cygan
10-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Very impressive Scott! You do awesome work.

XOrionFE
11-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Here are some updates. I am working on integrating a real Learjet 45 TQ, Spoiler lever, and flap lever. The pedestal is not to scale and I have adjusted the size to fit a monitor for fmc. This is also a project primarily for leasure. Obviously having the real deal as far as TQ, flap lever, and spoiler is nice.

Here are latest pics.

TasKiNG
11-02-2008, 09:56 AM
That's looking superb.
Those pics have given me some ideas for mine :)

XOrionFE
11-02-2008, 10:15 AM
That's looking superb.
Those pics have given me some ideas for mine :)

If you need me to take any other pics of certain views let me know. It will get covered in soon so now would be the best time if any detail is needed.

Scott

TasKiNG
11-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks Scott,

I'd be very interested to see some pics of the spoiler and reverse thrust mechanisms please.

Thanks

XOrionFE
11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Scott,

I'd be very interested to see some pics of the spoiler and reverse thrust mechanisms please.

Thanks

Ok. Probably a good idea for many out there trying to duplicate the TQ/Flaps/Spoiler/Reversers for many of the regional jets. I took a bunch more pictures and put them here in my photo gallery. I took multiple pics from different angles of the spoiler, flaps, and Throttles\reversers.

Take a look and let me know if that helps of if there is any other perspective you want.

Enjoy,
Scott

TasKiNG
11-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Great pics Scott, Thanks

XOrionFE
11-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Here are some pics of my Throttle Quadrant finally finished. The throttles are real as are spoiler and flap lever. I built the housing and pedestal and integrated a parking brake lever. Everything functions now including Thrust Reverse levers. I just finished the top plate last night after having redone it twice due to paint problems.

Enjoy...

ronjonrollo
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Hey Scott,
These pics look great! I am really looking forward to getting my hands on a set of throttles like this!

Take care,
Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida

Kris Stow
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Scott great work shown here. Its nice to have it all done and working correctly :) Awesome pictures cant wait to start my TQ pedestal. I'm kinda holding off don't want to build anything yet until I receive my panels.

Per Alm
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello!
Your throttle looks really great! :p
Nice work!

Regards

Per Alm

TasKiNG
11-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Looks fantastic
Great Job

ronjonrollo
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Is that a P3C Orion trim wheel I see? LOL :p
Take care Scott,

Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida

XOrionFE
11-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Is that a P3C Orion trim wheel I see? LOL :p
Take care Scott,

Ron Rollo
Jacksonville Florida

:-)

Actually, I am going to wire the elevator trim to my yoke switches eventually but when I fly a cessna or other GA aircraft I like the trim wheel. To the right of my pedestal on the copilot side I actually have a set of GA power controls and on my pedestal I can drop an overlay of the normal GPS. My pilots side panel can be removed with 4 screws and replaced with a GA panel which I can run PM GAIFR on. So in short, with a few minor configuration changes I can be flying in a GA pit instead of a lear. I wanted to do this so I can practice for Intrument rating at some point and fly a Mooney or 172 while practicing.

Michael Carter
11-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Your throttle looks really good! Nice job on that.

XOrionFE
11-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Thanks all

One can get a lot of inspiration around here and couldnt do this without all of your help of which I have received a lot. Also the ideas that can be found on mycockpit and fellow builder sites really makes this possible for everyone.

On to the panels!

And Michael, one of these days I will get down to Southern Illinois and I will look you up. I really would love to see your sim in person.

XOrionFE
12-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Here is a picture of my updated pit. I made the Flight Guidance Controller and Display Controllers for the upper portion of the MIP and have partially wired up. Still need to do some labeling but I will be getting Innovative's panels for the Learjet so this is now just temporary (at least I will have everything tested and programmed and dont have to rush to put in Joes upper panels right away.). This is also perhaps a little better picture of my new MIP lighting using 8 7000mcd white leds and the dimmer circuit from Mike.

Enjoy
Scott

ronjonrollo
12-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey Scott,
Your Lear45 cockpit is truly amazing! I can not believe how far you have come in such a short period of time.

XOrionFE
01-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Been a while since I last updated my build but here is a more recent picture.

FGC is working great but now switching to Open Cockpits so am in a testing phase. PFD and ND buttons and rotaries are real but still need to be interfaced. Once I move everything off my Hagstrom card onto my OC cards I will move my Hagstrom board to my PM client PC and then finish interfacing the PFD and ND as well as RMUs.

Scott

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/3206358381_bc57e1c386.jpg

Real Throttle, Flaps, and Spoiler levers:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3042744897_0884dfd1f2.jpg

mlscotti
01-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow, your throttle and yoke mechanix looks awesome, how did you do it, and where do you get those kind of parts? I got sick of cutting stuff out of wood and raw aluminum stock from home depot and went back to ch products for now. Also where did you get the extra clock and glass cockpit set up, is that magenta with an add on? Mike

Kennair
01-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Beautiful work Scott, you're a credit to the industry. Love the night shot too. How's the OC programming coming along?

Ken.

Per Alm
01-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Simply beautiful!!
I like your cockpit lighting very much!!

You have a very nice project!! :)

Thanks for sharing!!

Regards / Per Alm

XOrionFE
01-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow, your throttle and yoke mechanix looks awesome, how did you do it, and where do you get those kind of parts? I got sick of cutting stuff out of wood and raw aluminum stock from home depot and went back to ch products for now. Also where did you get the extra clock and glass cockpit set up, is that magenta with an add on? Mike

I was fortunate to locate the throttle on line but that was just lucky find. As for yoke, I made that from a pair of yokes I also found online on ebay from a Socata. Eventually I hope to have real or simulated Learjet yokes. If you want to see how I made the yoke there are some pictures here in the photo gallery. You can also check out the work done by another member, Ken Brand ("Kennair"). His yoke setup inspired mine.

As for the extra guages in the middle (which I think you are refering to when you say clock?) they are standby guages (ASI, ADI, and Altimeter) and are not PM. They are by a guy named Dave Ault (www.learjet45chimera.co.uk ). He also does the Crew Warning panel right below them. The RMUs at the bottom are available with the PMRJ suite or also from Dave but the ones shown are beta units from Flight Deck Software (keep an eye out for more wonderful stuff from this company).

The rest of the panels I am making myself on a cnc. I was awaiting Laser panels from another supplier but the deal went south and after many problems communicating with the company and delays in delivery I just gave up and am making my own.

Scott

XOrionFE
01-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Beautiful work Scott, you're a credit to the industry. Love the night shot too. How's the OC programming coming along?

Ken.

Thanks Ken. I appreciate the comment. As for OC, I am getting there. I have been working on modifying the code I got from you and figuring out all of the inputs. I had to rewire some things because the way the grounds are grouped in groups of 9 inputs and I had some challenges figuring out the rotaries but am well on my way. I have been working right now to get everything wired back up so I can test. I like SIOC though and the more I get into the code the more lightbulbs go off in my head of what I can do to interface the Learjet. All of us pitbuilders in the Learjet community are working really hard and this plane is well on its way to becoming a reality.

I will try to keep update. BTW - yours is looking awesome also and love the radios you just added. Nice tutorial you did as well. BTW - I love your Pilatus setup but every time I look at your pit I see a Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang wanting to jump out of it! You have the perfect setup for that plane.

Regards,
Scott

XOrionFE
01-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Simply beautiful!!
I like your cockpit lighting very much!!

You have a very nice project!! :)

Thanks for sharing!!

Regards / Per Alm

Thanks Per. Nothing compared to yours yet but yours is definitely an inspiration. Some day we will all have a nice Learjet fly in.

Kennair
01-27-2009, 12:33 AM
T BTW - I love your Pilatus setup but every time I look at your pit I see a Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang wanting to jump out of it! You have the perfect setup for that plane.

Regards,
Scott

Don't do that to me Scott, I've just spent the morning surfing the Mustang forum imagining and crafting how this bird would morph into my sim!!!

As I responded in Per's post, I've also been tinkering with the Lear 45 addon from Friendly Panels which is a good upgrade from the stock FSX Lear. It's really sweet, and Per's FS9 airfile works fine in FSX also, so you never know what this thing will turn out to be ;) Multifunction was always the aim but then again, I'd love to lock it in.

Ken.