PDA

View Full Version : Simple question: What is the term

PittsburghLever
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi all,

As English is not my first language, I am wondering if any one knows the word for this type of switch: In principle it works like a ball point pen. When you press the switch, it clicks into the on position, and stays "depressed" in the on state until you press it again and it "clicks off".

Thanks,

DAL900
09-21-2008, 11:35 AM
for pushbutton switch ,locking into place until pushed again? like a AML21 switch?? (latching style) :???:

Mike.Powell
09-21-2008, 11:47 AM
There is no single term for this switch action. Manufacturers variously use "push-on, push-off", "2-level alternate action", "push-lock, push-release", etc.

Geremy Britton
09-21-2008, 12:26 PM
DPDT switch is what i think you're after. I think this is the push to engage push to disengage type of switch/button.

Hope that helps!

magicaldr
09-21-2008, 12:33 PM
DPDT switch is what i think you're after. I think this is the push to engage push to disengage type of switch/button.

Hope that helps!

Hi, think the term you want is as mentioned earlier 'Latching' they will stay on until pressed again.

The opposite of this is momentary, which wont stay on.

DPDT is Double Pole, Double Throw and refers to the contacts not latching state of the switch. More on switch shorthand here on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

TasKiNG
09-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I know this type of switch as a 'Push to make, Push to break'

Cheers

kiek
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
It is a SPST, Single pole, single throw. There are versions with a lever and versions with a button.