PDA

View Full Version : LCD & FS2Phidgets

Rob's 747-400
09-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Hi,

Is anyone else experiencing difficulties with release 4.3.7 and the LCD / Interface Module?

The Interface section works great; however the LCD is only seen by the program afer clicking between run-time and configure several times... and the block remains RED. Whenever I click on it all I see is a blank screen at the bottom of the page; no config options.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone else having similar problems?

(By the way I should add that when using Phidget Manager I can control and communicate with the Text LED and its I/O ports without difficulty. The problem with using the LED only occurs when plugged into FS2P. I am also now using XP again... I 'downgraded' back from Vista).

Thanks,

Rob / Orlando, FL

CocnutAir
09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Rob,

I will try it out on my set up.
Operating system shouldn't make much difference.
Most probably a bug.

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Rob,

My guess is that both devices share the same serial number.
I know that folks at Phidgets declared some time back that serial numbers would always be unique, but knowing how USB Human Interface Devices work I am guessing that statement is cannot be true for USB devices with 2 Phidget devices.

However, not a big problem. Is easily rectified in my software.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Just tried it. Does same on my system.
Will fix during course of today.

Rob's 747-400
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Alan,

Thanks very much... can't wait!

After a period of running with Vista for several months and trying to replace FS2Phidget's utiliy with other vista-'compliant' solutions I gave up and reverted (some would say 'upgraded'?) back to XP.

The particular project I'm working on is getting my 747-400 Trim Gauge up and working again. For anyone that's interested I'm attaching a short 3-page description of how it works, along with some photos...

I've also attached the gauge graphics (Rudder and Elevator Trim), which could be used for 747-400 or 777 cockpits.

Regards,

Rob

CocnutAir
09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Rob,

After some experimentation I determined that problem is with Phidgets.
Their latest 2.1 release of Phidgets does not currently support their older version 1.1 cards. This was unintentional.

Any program using Phidgets 2.1 with these version 1.1 cards can either work with the Interfacekit or the TextLCD but not both at once.

The newer TextLCD 8/8/8 cards should work fine.

The folks at Phidgets have informed me they are working to fix this.
Will keep ya'll posted.

Regards,
Alan.

Rob's 747-400
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Alan,

Thank you very much!!!

Rob

CocnutAir
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
This issue can be tracked on the Phidgets' VB6 Forum.

http://www.phidgets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8862#8862

They have fixed and are shooting to release in the next few days.

CocnutAir
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Rob,

The latest Phidget 2.1 release is now available from Phidgets.com

I tested on my development system and has fixed problem.

Download Phidget_2.1.4.20080924.msi and run to install latest version.

Run FS2phidget and confirm that the latest version is being detected.

Regards,
Alan

Rob's 747-400
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Fantastic... can't wait to get home any try it! I'll report on progress later.

THANKS!!

Rob

Rob's 747-400
09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Alan,

Just tested the new .msi in the 'pit' and that's a 100% fix... THANKS very much!!!

Regards,

Rob

smithrb23
12-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Alan: (Help)

Just purchased a new Phidgets LCD/Interface card and I am attempting to set it up to display my radio frequencys. COM1/Standby on line 1 and COM2/ Standby on Line 2.

I have tested this out with the LCDemulation version so I know my setup does work, however with the LCD card installed, instead of getting the radio frequencies displayed I get only a 2 digit number at the start. (either 10, 11, or a 12).

Some strange behavour with the configuation (which may hopefully explain some of the problem)

1) Not able to enter an offset value for the second or three item to display on either line. I want to have the active COM first and then Standby offset by about 10 spaces. (mask set to ###.##) It seems the value is locked at a 2. If I enter a value it always changes to a 2. When the card is first initalized there is a greyed out 7 and 14 set as the defaults. Once I set the display item for the radio the value changes to 2.

2) Also noted that if I attempt to display ADFREQUENCY I get a Divide zero error message and the program exits. Once that happens I have to delete the configuation file to get the FS2Phidget program to run again.

I have the latest version of FS2Phidgets and Phidgets library loaded. I am running FSX on a VISTA 64 machine and the Phidgets on XP machine networked with Fswide.

I also purchased a new Servo card installed have another 8/8/8 interface card installed on which my throttles/mixure and flaps are operating (just fine).

Rick

CocnutAir
12-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Rick,

I will check it out this weekend.
Zip up the configuration (ini) files and email to alan@coconutair
That is the phidget.ini file and the PhidgetTextLCD9999.ini file

Regards,
Alan

smithrb23
12-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Alan:

I have included the zip file with te ini files here as I do not seem to be able to email them to you directly

Rick

CocnutAir
12-18-2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks. Will help me analyze problem.
What aircraft are you using?

smithrb23
12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I usually use the glass cockpit Cessna 172 in FSX for testing the controls although I am building a C172M which is what I am learning to fly in for real.

Rick

CocnutAir
12-20-2008, 04:30 AM
Rick,
The Skyhawk is nice plane.
What I learnt to fly in.

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Rick,

Tried out TextLCD to display COM1 on row 1.
Displaying Active at position 1 and Standby at position 15

Downloaded and installed F2Phidget 4.3.8
You're using 4.3.8, right?
Plugged in TextLCD.
- On LCD Row 1, I selected FSVariable437.ini as the FS Variable file.
- Select COM1_ACTIVE as the FS Variable.
- COM1 active displayed frequency at position 1 on row 1 on the TextLCD.
- Pressed the Configure button.
- The Additional Assignments were grayed out with the first Additional defaulted to column 7, and the second Additional defaulted to column 14.
- When I select COM1-STANDBY for the first Additional, the column (offset) is no longer greyed out.
- Changed column (offset) from 14 to 17 (to give 10 spaces).
- Press Finish button, to close up Configuration.
- Toggle Enable button.
- Standby fequency is now displayed.

There is a problem with the ADF. Only displays zero for now, and gives an error message. Will fix that.

Did notice that in your ini file, the columns for Row 1 are offset 1 and offset 2 respectively for the LCD offset. i.e. the two values are displaying on top of each other.

Could not replicate the "2" scenario you described.
Unless the system does not think you are pressing a numeric value.
When I tried that the offset reverted to "1", not "2".

Regards,
Alan

smithrb23
12-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Alan:

I am not sure what to say at this point as I am definitely experiencing problems. Yes, I am using version 4.3.8

The one odd thing is the program will not let me input a number for the offset for the second or third additional display, so maybe my install is corrupted.

I have decided to un-install everything, downloading the program again and do a clean install. Will tell you how it goes.

Rick

smithrb23
12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Andy :
Still same issue here, I have tried everything I can think of.

Basically I cannot input a number character into the offset value location. If I do it inputs a space and the offset value changes to a 2 (with a space in front). If I hit backspace the offset reverts back to a 1 without the space.

Another strange thing is I can type letters into the offset box after the 2??

I can also input leading 0 (zeros) as well, but if I try and type in a digit from 1-9 it changes to the 2 with space in front

If the offset value is set to 1, I get 2 digits displayed on the LCD. If the offset is set to 2, I get only 1 digit displayed.

Another strange thing is if the offset is set to 1, the displayed in the Phi Value dialog box displays at the far left. If the offset is 2, the Phi Value is display at the right in the dialog box.

I deleted everything and reloaded, but no change. I even tried reloading version 4.3.7 to see if there was a behavour difference. With version 4.3.7 the LCD Device will not load, the devise status stays red.

I have tried running FS2Phidgets on both machines (one is Vista and the other an XP) with same results using either FSX or FS9 networked from the Vista machine.

Could my TextLCD version be a problem? Serial number is 67490 Version 123
Could the Phidgets21 Library (using version 2.1.5) be an issue?

Rick

AndyT
12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Can you give us your FSVar file with the programming in it?

smithrb23
12-23-2008, 12:20 AM
I not be too swift, which file do you mean? the FSVariable file?

AndyT
12-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Yes. And your log file. Sorry. I meant to say that last time.

CocnutAir
12-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Rick,

THe FS Variable File is the column headed F.S. Var File on the main fS2phidget screen.

On the configure screen you need to assign an F.S Variable from the drop down selection box to un-grey the offset box. It appears from the ini file you sent me that you did this.

If I hold down the left mouse key and highlight the "7" in the offset column I can enter a 1-5 for the offset.

If there is potential bug in any Phidget library version this can be tested using the Phidget Control Panel (located in the tray at the bottom right corner of your Windows XP screen).

I am using Phidget 2.1.4 built Sept 24 2008 8:52:18

I tested with FS2002 and FS2004. Did not test with FSX, but the FS Variable Offset (not the offset in the LCD Row) and Length should be the consistent.

Regards,
Alan

CocnutAir
12-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Rick,

I tried with your ini file.
I was able to change the Row 2 offset from 2 to 15 and,
the Row 1 offset from 1 to 15.
It was possible for me to type in an alphanumeric character or two, but this did not preclude me from correcting subesquently to a valid number from 1 to 20. (the maximum number of characters in an LCD row).

What type of keyboard are you using?
Some Canadians use those fancy international keyboards to support both Her Majesty's English and French.

Was curious why you set the circuit to 6 for LCD Row?

Regards,
Alan.

CocnutAir
12-23-2008, 04:17 PM
The ini files do not represent programming or a scripting language of any nature. Are data only.
Data should be maintained via the application.
However, there are cases where the application craps out and one needs to rectify the data.
Just wanted to correct any perceptions that one has to manage the contents of the ini files as normal operating procedure.

smithrb23
12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Alan:

Using a standard PS/2 US keyboard, no fancy stuff.
My use of Circuit 6 was arbitrary.
Currently using the Phidgets 2.1.5 Library which became available Oct 23. 2008
I kind of gathered that about the ini files

One thing to note, I did installed the 2.1.4 library that is included with the Version 4.3.8 download. In this case the LCD device is recognized (status green) but does not present any input lines for the FS variables. Nothing.

This leads me to wonder if there is something different with my particular Phidget hardware. My LCD display is an integrated 8/8/8 Interface and TextLCD.

Rick

CocnutAir
12-23-2008, 07:49 PM
If you are displaying one variable at position 1 and another ot position 2 on the LCD row they are going to stomp on each other. Most probably only display two characters. A frequency typically needs 6 characters to display, including the decimal. Therefore, an additional frequency on the LCD row will need to start in position 7, at the least.
What is your 2nd frequency's offset currently?

The Phidget build matters.
Have not tested with Oct release.

Try entering a single frequency value into the Phidget Control Panel.
Enter "121.45" and see what is displayed.

smithrb23
12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Alan:

I just tried everything on my work Laptop, same issue.

As I am using the latest Phidget21 2.1.5 library, may something has changed.

I have tried with only 1 frequency, same issue

Unit work just fine using the Phidgets TextLCD-full, can enter and display anything

Rick

CocnutAir
12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Rick,

Maybe I should send you slightly earlier version of TextLCD-full that I have and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,
Alan.

smithrb23
12-24-2008, 05:24 PM
If you feel it will help, I will try anything to get this solved

Rick