PDA

View Full Version : cpu resources

Mr. Midnight
09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
i have question about a computer resources, meaning if i have several items , like a yolk , triplehead to go, and loads of sofeware, and perhaps im using a second monitor , and i have the foot peddles, and a couple of go flight modules, plus FSX, and the operating system.

does each and everyone of those items in the term of math use up cpu time.

and if say i was to subtract anyone of those items i would have more numbers or cpu time to channel eslewhere.

for instances i have notices just testing mind you that when i was using my 7800 gt card through tripleh 2go, frames were good , but when i added a monitor to the extra plug on the card for instumentation , the numbers went down a little, meaning that i now was using more cpu time and resources, is that true with anything that i attach through the computer , even hubs.
thanks......Robert

Tomlin
09-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Dont worry about USB devices like CH, GoFlight, other interfacing, but additional monitors will definately change your performance.

Mr. Midnight
09-17-2008, 04:33 PM
you are correct , i did the test to prove it, i was just wondering about the other equiptment.

thanks..Robert

warvet
09-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Robert
Let me help you try and understand a few things:
Yes each and everyone of your services running on your CPU will use up CPU Useage, somethings more than others. For example your IE6 can use as much as 50% or things like MSN Messenger or Skype can use 30-60%. Additional monitors or connected devices all share useage. So if you remove some of the items such as Yolk or what have you but they are running on USB very very little CPU useage is being affected so it will not adversley or greatly affect the CPU useage you have to allocate other places. However depending on the amount of programs addons etc you have in FS will definitely affect the amount of CPU useage required to run it. Try going to My Computer R click manage then services and compare with your task manager (Ctrl alt del) open processes see what is eating up your resources, usually things like Svchost and if you carefully check youll see that windows Autoupdate eats a ton of your resources and this in turn will sloww your PC dramaticallyt. Check other resources services not being used IE IPOD etc and disable them. This should help.
Good Luck Robert

Tim

Michael Carter
09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
That's the first thing I do to a new computer. Turn all of that crap off in the startup configuration.

I have 20 processes running on XP Pro before FS is started. Most of those are .svchost and network services.

It's good to get rid of stuff you don't need running in the background.

fweinrebe
09-22-2008, 04:11 AM
I found a guide on the TechRepublic.com website some time ago that lists all the Windows XP services that can be safely disabled or not together with the ramifications if it is disabled.

The link is http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=172521

Now you just have to find a nice tool to start and stop these service before and after a flight sim session. Or disable them permanently as BSW did.

A similar guide is available for Windows Vista. The link is http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?kw=windows+vista+services&docid=296633.

Mr. Midnight
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM
thank you very much

Robert

AndyT
09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I've looked that guide over and I would not be so quick to trust it. There are a couple of services that it reccomends turning off but will actually slow down your machine. Some of them are not needed on their own but are still required by other processes and when they are not running, the other process slows drasticly.

fweinrebe
09-24-2008, 01:46 AM
I guess trial and error will quickly point out which services should not be disabled even if the guide says it can be disabled safely. Remember that the guide is for a PC running in a corporate network environment.

Do someone have a similar guide compiled specifically just for running Flight Simulator?

Prof Bill
09-24-2008, 03:04 AM
I guess trial and error will quickly point out which services should not be disabled even if the guide says it can be disabled safely. Remember that the guide is for a PC running in a corporate network environment.

Do someone have a similar guide compiled specifically just for running Flight Simulator?

Dear All,

It would indeed be very useful to all if we could collectively put together a definitive simple "GUIDE" for FSX applicable to an XP and VISTA enviornment that might be referenced on the site that would be of use to all in terms of what is suggested by fweinrebe. A spreadsheet format might well be the simplest to use and easiest to populate!
Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome.
Perhaps somebody has already created this guide?

As many use WIDEVIEW, WIDEFS and networked systems it might be worthwhile getting some input from Peter Dowson and Luciano Napolitano!

I have spent quite a considerable amount of time endeavouring to tune and optimise systems and feel that there are many more doing the same due to the nature of FSX!!!!

Bill.

Rodney
09-24-2008, 08:55 AM
The problem of writing a definitive guide would be that everyone does not have the exact same computer hardware/software. NicN has written a lengthy guide that was posted over at AvSim for FSX. So I wouldn't want to re-invent the wheel. What is better suited for something like this in my opinion is a services listing, telling you what each service does and why you might need to have it running. Then of course as you do this, and later add some must have add-on, are you going to remember what you tweaked? Here is a quick search result on services with explanations. Understand your system and go from there.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Prof Bill
09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Rodney,

What an excellent site!

Many thanks!
I shall be spending many hours with much experimentation on this site
as it is full of really useful information.

Bill.

Mr. Midnight
09-24-2008, 12:46 PM
thanks for all the feed back, which means to me that it is an important factor in getting the most out of your com, and get rid of unwanted or unneeded applications.

thanks ..Robert

WJH308
09-27-2008, 08:57 PM
And this is another reason why a quadcore is better than a dual core, windows will run many of these background processes on another core.