PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of dead computers...

Michael Carter
09-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Could I remove and install my old hard drive into the new computer long enough to extract files and folders from it without a conflict of already having XP PRO installed on the old hard drive?

I don't mean remove my new hard drive to do this, I just mean adding the old hard drive to the new system to retrieve files and folders.

Are there complications with the HD having an OS installed? Can this be done?

Gsey
09-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Can be done no problem as long as its an ide hardrive and the motherboard has ide interface. Most do. The only thing you will have to do is set the jumper on the back of the old hardrive as slave. Bios and xp should auto detect the hardrive.

Gary

Michael Carter
09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks! I'll check for a jumper trio on the old HD.

Efe Cem Elci
09-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Yeah Gary is right, as long as the cable and jumper configuration is correct the computer will boot the new system and you will be able to get the files from your old hard disk.

I'm not sure but if they're in user specific areas on the old HDD (My Documents, Desktop, etc.) you might not be able to access them. But that could just be bad memory on my part as its been a while since I got down and dirty with PC hardware.

AndyT
09-02-2008, 04:02 AM
As long as the drive jumpers are correctly set you should have no problem getting to any of the info on the drive. I use this method all the time to clone friends drives to new machines.

mterm
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
When my old computer died I was able to remove the old hard drive and purchase an external hard drive kit. It connects the the new PC via a USB cable and I was able to access all my old file and I still use it to this day.

Michael Carter
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for all of the great info.