PDA

View Full Version : Starting over with PMRJ- Best practice?

Tomlin
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi

Im contemplating starting over with my PMRJ installation on my two clients that run it as I have a bit of a jumble on these two machines. Im wondering if I go the 'uninstall software' route and delete folders that get left behind, will I have to send for new registrations?

Rodney
09-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't think you will as the numbers are generated from the OS/hardware. Now if you reformat the drives and re-install the OS, then maybe. I've gotten lucky one time after a re-install and got the same number. But I look at that as a fluke. But then again, I could be wrong. Worst case is a 48 hour turnaround, unless one of the PM staff just happen to scan the registration emails. If/When you do, let us know how it turned out.

alaxus
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Before you delete anything, make sure you backup / copy the pmrj.ini you have in your existing installation. This will enable you to refer to it if something goes wrong in the future (keys etc).

I have noticed that changing some hardware in your pc can trigger a new key required response from pmrj, as well as a os reinstall.

pmrj is pretty much standalone, so if you delete the directory, everything is pretty much gone. I dont think it installs anything into any of the windows directories.

Whats your trouble with it anyway?

Tomlin
09-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Whats your trouble with it anyway?

It's not a PMRJ fault -it's mine. Way back a year ago when I started really digging in to getting the software set up for the sim, I was having a hard time trying to figure out how to set it up for having two instances run for my main displays and then the RMUs. As a result, I made several folders of PMRJ in there (although only 2 keys were needed for each client) and as a result when I have been upgrading to the latest versions it's a complete mess on organization and it's hard to know which running version Im actually upgrading. I just simply want to clean up and reorganize on my end.

BTW- I did have to get new keys the other day when I changed my Client pc's Names to something like 'Captain' and 'Copilot' from their default names or IPs.

Like was said, if so, then at it's worst it's a 48 turn around time, usually much faster.

Thanks,