PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Lever Gate Questions

Suggy
06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Hi!!

I have a few questions to ask about the Thrust Gate Settings

#1 Are there detents for the min and max reverse thrust positions? Or is it simply a matter of the engines gradually going into reverse thrust when the reverse thrust lever is pulled up and the thrust lever moved backwards past idle?

#2 Is there a detent position for Idle? I am assuming there is.

#3 Where abouts is the throttle position for 50% N1 thrust? (I am calibrating my new throttles from FDS and I am using the software from AirSimTech). Part of the calibration process is to map where 50% N1 is. Is it half way between the Idle and CLB gate?

Look forward to your great wisdom :-)

Best wishes,

Darren Sugden

dodiano
06-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Ok Here are the answers...

#1 Are there detents for the min and max reverse thrust positions? Or is it simply a matter of the engines gradually going into reverse thrust when the reverse thrust lever is pulled up and the thrust lever moved backwards past idle?

No detents there... you arm them and pull the handles back you are in reverse Idle pull them further back and you will have reversers accordinggly meaning that all the way back is full reverse.

#2 Is there a detent position for Idle? I am assuming there is.

Is not a detent it simply is the place where the handle stop when you pull all the way back without arming the reversers like in any other plane you pull the handles back and they just stop there... if you pull the reversers small handles mechanically it lifts like a safety inside and places the throttle handles in the Reverse Idle position is not a detent...

#3 Where abouts is the throttle position for 50% N1 thrust? (I am calibrating my new throttles from FDS and I am using the software from AirSimTech). Part of the calibration process is to map where 50% N1 is. Is it half way between the Idle and CLB gate?

Ok when not in Autothrust mode or when you are operating the handles manually basically you have between Idle and Clb 25% to basically all the thrust you´ll have manually after that you have Flx and TOGA meaning Flex derated thrust and TOGA all you can get out from the engines... SO around where the letter ¨H¨is marked on the throttle quadrant that is where you get around 50% N1 I will have to double check though is just that I do it by feling I move them forward then I check the gauges and when both are basically giving the same thrust I advance them manually to CLB, then Flx or TOGA as is required...

Hope it helps.

Roberto

Suggy
06-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you Roberto.
Your description seeems to suggest that Reverse Idle does not in fact put the engines into reverse. Is that correct?

Another question!

How far does the glareshield stick out over the top of the MIP? I am going to rebuild my cockpit this summer and I have a feeling my current setup is incorrect. At the moment I have my glareshield about 15cm beyond the top of the MIP. Is this way off the mark? One of the pictres from this website suggests it's at least 25cm

http://www.simpit.de/a320dim/page_02.htm

Regards,

Darren

dodiano
06-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Reverse Idle does put the engine in reverse in the sense that it opens the sides of the engine Cowlings and closes the flow of the engines to the back and throws it forward what it doesn+t do is spool the engines to give more thrust and more reverse that is achieved by pulling the handles back...

Not sure how much does the glare stick out but around 25cm sounds likelly might be a bit more not sure though.

Regards,

Roberto

Suggy
06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Thank you, Roberto.

You have been a great help :-)

Best wishes,

Darren

dodiano
06-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Darren I double checked 50% will be where the ¨T¨ is marked aproximatelly...

Take care,

Roberto

Suggy
06-25-2006, 03:11 PM
You're a star!! 8) :) :D

Thank you very much.

All the best,

Darren

Atomic_Sheep
10-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Hi dodiano, I was just wondering

1.) How far up do the reverser tabs lift up? Judging by the scratch marks, they go some way... and judging by the shape of the throttle quadrant themselves, the tabs look to me like they probably go about 90 degrees?

2.) From idle to reverse idle, is it a linear motion of the throttle levers? Or is there some unlocking stage after which they throttles start to move back linearly?

3.) Judging from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Inside+the+A330+and+A320+cockpit&aq=f

there are detents at TOGA, FLX MCT, CL, 0, Reverse Idle and Full Reverse but I'm not 100% sure. I know for a fact there are detents at TOGA, FLX MCT and CL but I cant remember whether there's anything at 0 and I never tried reversers so I just don't know about it.