PDA

View Full Version : The beast is in!

Kennair
08-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I just had to share this with you guys. It's been 5 months almost to the day since work began on the NG series of my simulator and last night it was moved to its new home in my spare room. It feels so great just to sit in it although there's no electronics connected as yet. Now the cabling and configuring starts!! Wish me luck?

It's a little difficult to get good overall pictures due to the snug fit in my room, however I think you get the idea. It's plenty big enough for actual operations however. There's even room for an instructor station at the rear!

Check out this small selection of pictures or for more take a look at the Photo Gallery. Of course for complete details see my website.

Kaptain Ken :grin:

Bob Reed
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM
WOW! Very nice. Can not wait to see this in action!

ian@737ng.co.uk
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
keep us posted as you go on....
regards . ian

Joe Cygan
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Ken, awesome work as always!

Padraig
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Very nice Kennair, I am another person that cant wait to see more progress on it, I can see you used PVC piping for some of the structure and the yokes and rudders look very well indeed.

W9XE/Project777
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Kaptain Ken

I to noticed the usage of PVC pipe. This is one frame design I never thought of. "I like it" :D

Some advantages I never thought of. Being able to run wires down through the tubing. Great possabilities.

I have a bunch of PVC tubing that I was going to use in the landing gear of my Bell 206 helicopter design. Since I moved to the B777 platform the tubing has been setting under the house. May have to re-think this. :roll:

Michael Carter
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM
It's great that you have it where you can start working again. I know about small spaces myself and how much room what you have takes up.

Good luck with the rest of your build. I can't wait to see more progress pictures.

JBaymore
08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Looking good, Ken.

Nice to see another builder that has taken the same "in the closet" approach that I have. ;)

What is the "footprint" of your pit?

best,

..................john

luisgordo
08-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Looks good Ken. Good luck!!

Westozy
08-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Good stuff Ken,

The PVC is a great idea! Sometimes at work I've had to bend PVC pipe and I've used the car's exhaust pipe to heat it up, it works really well.

Come around for a fly again!

Gwyn

Padraig
08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Good stuff Ken,

The PVC is a great idea! Sometimes at work I've had to bend PVC pipe and I've used the car's exhaust pipe to heat it up, it works really well.

Come around for a fly again!

Gwyn

LOL, with that V8, I would not be surprised, Ive worked with PVC piping for about 4 years during my plumbing training period when I was younger, but I wish I had that tool to do it!!!! I had to use a gas torch for the purpose.

Kennair
08-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Kaptain Ken

I to noticed the usage of PVC pipe. This is one frame design I never thought of. "I like it" :D

Some advantages I never thought of. Being able to run wires down through the tubing. Great possabilities.

I have a bunch of PVC tubing that I was going to use in the landing gear of my Bell 206 helicopter design. Since I moved to the B777 platform the tubing has been setting under the house. May have to re-think this. :roll:

I must say Larry that it was a bit of a stab in the dark using PVC and it was very shaky until I glued all the couplings. It firmed up nicely at that point. Another advantage is that it's very light so there's no need for hefty support structures to hold it up. It's also easy to carry and put in place.

What is the "footprint" of your pit?

John, the footprint is 1.5m (5ft) wide by 1.8m (6ft) long. The room itself is 2.7m (9ft) wide by 3m (10ft) long. So there's plenty of room around it, just not enough to get a good photo. However I'm yet to bring in two PC's, screens and coffee machine for those long flights.

Gwyn, I'll give you a call soon. My next task is the all important mounting of the stubbie holders!!! :p

Thanks for all the comments and you'll be the first to know of the progress. And there's sure be a video of the christening.

Ken.