PDA

View Full Version : Need help from the Intel guys quick

DAL900
08-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Guys,

My main system is on life support and I will pull the plug tommorrow. I have used AMD all along and have no idea about Intel systems. My question is will the following be enough for FSX and FS9 (mainly). I cant find the qoute paper but going from memory this is what I'm looking at:

Intel board with SLI (forgot the number)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8000
DDR2-800 2 GB (M/B is expandable to 4 slots)
GeForce 9600GT 1 GB DDR2

Should I stay with XP or go Vista, is vista good with FS9???

If you all say GO, I'll build it by noon

Thanks for any help

Michael Carter
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
That would be a screaming machine for XP and FS9.

Sorry, it's just so much cheaper to build a high-end FS9 machine and XP than an FSX and Vista machine.

Padraig
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Exactly Mike, but with a quad core if you can afford it would be able to run FSX with no problems at all on a XP machine, I dont use FS9 anymore since FSX came out and my card is a tad lower than yours its the G8 version not the 9 but I find the Quad lets me pump up alot more autogen etc that my previous 2 Core Duo with the same card. Also if getting more RAM is your thing, then I would suggest getting a 64bit version of XP so you can handle 2GB + or do a BIOS tweak here and there with your ram, the most I could get with a XP32bit is 3.25GB

DAL900
08-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks to all that replied, I'm building now and should be up in the sky in a few hours

Matt Olieman
08-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Chuck, I'll be interested to hear of your results. Good luck :) :) :)

BTW, what hard drive will you be using and let us know what intel motherboard you've got.

Matt Olieman

747sim
08-23-2008, 06:54 PM
That looks as though it should run it. I'm running an Intel D915pbl with a pentium dual core extreme and an Nvidia 8600 GT with 2 gig of ram on vista and that runs FSX on ultra high quality just peachy

Padraig
08-23-2008, 09:19 PM
That looks as though it should run it. I'm running an Intel D915pbl with a pentium dual core extreme and an Nvidia 8600 GT with 2 gig of ram on vista and that runs FSX on ultra high quality just peachy

To honest I dont know how you are getting great results on a Vista OS with only 2 GB of ram because once vista gets settled and you install the AV and the usual stuff, I cant see how there is much memory left for FSX as we know that it does require a bit if RAM. Plus your CPU too which is only a Dual core. How in earth are you able to get such good results with good settings inside FSX ? and I know its not your card either. Whats your FPS on Ultra High Settings with FSX ?

Im using quad core 'Yorkfield' 3.0GHz with a single NV 8800 GTX and 3.25GB of ram which is read by XP32 along with bare bones XP OS and then FSX installed on a SATA Raptor HDD.

Im just curious as to how are you managing this.

747sim
08-23-2008, 09:26 PM
well i did get some scenery hacks and reduced some unneeded things in the cfg and its fine i get about 20 frames per second but i don't mind a continuous is something like 14 so it looks smooth enough.

Michael Carter
08-23-2008, 09:39 PM
I can't fly an approach in weather on 14 FPS.:roll:

747sim
08-23-2008, 09:41 PM
as i said im running a bit over 20 which looks smooth

747sim
08-23-2008, 09:42 PM
well maybe not for you guys and your dragster Boeings but for me and my little Cessna its perfect, I dont need to render as much

DAL900
08-23-2008, 10:22 PM
This is what I have:
Intel board P7N SLI-FI
Intel Core 2 Duo E8000
DDR2-800 2 GB
GeForce 9600GT 1 GB DDR2
Windows XP

With FS9 maxed out on everything flying at KSEA with real weather I'm getting 63-67 fps in the day and 58-63 at night. I'm getting 73-79 FPS over the mountains.

FSX maxed out except bloom, 28-32 avg fps same as above day/night at KSEA. When I drop sceneries down to 80%, getting 32-40 fps. I was about to install KMCO from cloud9 when i realized I installed FSX on hte wrong drive, so I uninstalled and reinstalling now. To much in a hurry :( .

I'm still tweaking

SO overall I'm pretty happy, I plan on running FS9 mainly and will try to install the Tileproxy. I'll let you know how that goes if I do it

Michael Carter
08-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds great!

Have you tried it out with payware scenery or aircraft yet?

At those frame rates you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Tomlin
08-23-2008, 11:04 PM
You know this is good news that it's running great. I know that I had hoped and half way planned on switching to FSX on this great new PC that I have but I have so much enjoyment and very little problems with FS9 that I dont that if it'd be worth it with buying a new FSUIPC and new products and all the little issues that we have with FSX. However, with the FTX product line, when it gets to the USA I will be sorely tempted.

I am glad to hear your new machine is top notch. BTW DAL, you didnt sustain any damage this past week/weekend did ye?

Matt Olieman
08-24-2008, 09:02 AM
With FS9 maxed out on everything flying at KSEA with real weather I'm getting 63-67 fps in the day and 58-63 at night. I'm getting 73-79 FPS over the mountains.

FSX maxed out except bloom, 28-32 avg fps same as above day/night at KSEA. When I drop sceneries down to 80%, getting 32-40 fps. I was about to install KMCO from cloud9 when i realized I installed FSX on hte wrong drive, so I uninstalled and reinstalling now. To much in a hurry :( .

I'm still tweaking

SO overall I'm pretty happy, I plan on running FS9 mainly and will try to install the Tileproxy. I'll let you know how that goes if I do it

WOW!!! that works for me. Thanks Chuck for the good info :) :) :) Keep us up-to-date, please. :) :) :)

Matt Olieman