PDA

View Full Version : TH2GO-D questions

skywatch
08-21-2008, 05:58 AM
With the higher resolution support I am thinking of trying this out.
I am using winXP and fs9

Which would be the best card to drive this? I need something fairly cheap in the UK if possible.

Should I go for wide screen monitors or normal 4:3? Is the view distorted or streched on the wide screen ones?

If I add an extra PCI card for the cockpit instruments will this affect the frame rate on the triple screen? If so how much?

Is 'dual link DVI' an analogue or digital thing?

Thanks

Skywatch

tomenglish2000
08-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi Skywatch.

As this is for FS9 I recomend that you have a good graphics card. Anything from an Nvidia 8800 with 512Mb of memory and upwards will be fine. These start at around £120 - £150.

The outside views will be rendered to whatever resolution that you choose for your monitors, so 16:9 or 4:3 will both look OK, but if you are using a panel the bitmap will be stretched to fit the screen.

Any extra monitors will always degrade perfomance. If you do this in full screen view then it wont be too bad, but if you do this in windowed view it will be quite noticeable. I would advise against running a TH2GO with any other monitors as it is asking a lot of any computer except some of the top spec machines.

My sim is setup so that the instruments are handled by one machine with multiple monitors and another PC handles the external views. The instrument PC is about 5 yrs old, and has all the view options turned down low or off. This keeps frames high. It doesnt need view options as it doesnt show any scenery, it just runs the sim! The second PC with the projector just shows scenery so realism etc is all off and view options are maxed out, it uses top spec hardware and looks great.

Dual Link DVI is Digital.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

skywatch
08-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks Tom, that answers the immediate questions in my mind.

Can you elaborate a little on your set up please? How are the machines connected? What keeps everything in sync?

My background is in AV so am thinking of a 3 monitor set up for now and a 3 projector set up (using the redundant monitors for the panel) in the future.

Skywatch

XOrionFE
08-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Here is mine. Digital Triple Head 2 Go on a GeForce 7900 GT card with 3 22" Widescreen LCDs. Works awesome. I have 4 gig DDR2 memory and processor is an AMD Athlon X2 6400. I have all sliders up max and running Flight1 UTX and GEX. I love it and performance is great.

skywatch
08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
XOrionFE,

Thanks for that. A good generic set up there!

It looks like this is running in 'windowed' mode. Can it run in full screen mode as well? Also the right and left hand monitors have a blank vertical area to the extreme outside edges. Again, is this normal and does this disappear with full screen mode running?

I just gotta get this type of set up running soon......now to find some cash from somewhere!

Skywatch

Tomlin
08-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Here is mine. Digital Triple Head 2 Go on a GeForce 7900 GT card with 3 22" Widescreen LCDs. Works awesome. I have 4 gig DDR2 memory and processor is an AMD Athlon X2 6400. I have all sliders up max and running Flight1 UTX and GEX. I love it and performance is great.

XOrionFE,

Im planning on getting a TH2G Dig soon hopefully now that I have just obtained 2 additional LCD projectors. My system is similary to yours, being:

AMD x2 6400 3.2 GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 PC6400 RAM
9800 GTX 512 RAM video
Windows XP

So Im guessing that I should have no trouble at all then it sounds like?!

Tomlin
08-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Also, I wanted to ask those that are in the know on the TH2G,

My current projector is native 800x600 and I run it in 1024x768.
The two that were given to me last night are 800x600 the best I can tell and have no higher option. (BTW, I used one of the two given to me last night for last year's charity flight event and it wasnt that bad actually...FREE! :-)

What Im wondering is if I can run the middle projector at 1024x768 and the left and right at 800x600 with the TH2G ?

andarlite
08-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Hi Eric

Nope, you can't. The TH2G only allows all 3 to run at the same resolution.

Regards,
Henry

Also, I wanted to ask those that are in the know on the TH2G,

My current projector is native 800x600 and I run it in 1024x768.
The two that were given to me last night are 800x600 the best I can tell and have no higher option. (BTW, I used one of the two given to me last night for last year's charity flight event and it wasnt that bad actually...FREE! :-)

What Im wondering is if I can run the middle projector at 1024x768 and the left and right at 800x600 with the TH2G ?

Tomlin
08-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks Henry- that's what I suspected.

Now the BIG question-

Is it better to have a single channel system like I do now with 1024x768 OR a 3 channel near 180 deg system all at 800x600?

After getting a few more AMLs, I will be going after a TH2G I think...

Kennair
08-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi Eric,

I think the math answers your question i.e. 1024 pixels wide or 3 x 800 = 2400 pixels wide. You'll find driving 3 monitors with the TH2GO less of a drain on framerates than using 3 outputs from two video cards in your system. Also I think you'll find that you can run monitors with different resolutions off the TH2GO but you'll get distortions in the image from one to the other. If you're only using it for outside views this could be a tolerated tradeoff for a wider field of view. If you've already got the projectors then pick up a TH2GO and experiment. You won't regret the purchase.

I run 3 monitors off the TH2GO plus 2 other monitors for instruments off the one PC with no problems in FS9 and quite acceptable in FSX.

Ken.

Tomlin
08-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I will run the 1024x768 down in the next day or so to 800x600 to see how much difference there is and then that will tell the tale. Also, my 'BIG' question was more rhetorical, but that's what I was looking for as a response- Bigger field of view but less resolution! :-)

Westozy
08-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I have TH2Go-D with GTS 8800 on a 2.4GHz quadcore, with every slider maxed on FS9 with PMDG on XP pro, it easily achieves 40FPS and is absolutely smooth as silk even with heavy weather running.

Gwyn

XOrionFE
08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
I run mine in Windowed mode because I have never been able to get it working correctly otherwise. I might be missing something but it doesnt really bother me.

To answer the question about the outside edges missing, this is caused by the bezel management feature of TH2GO. In order to compensate for the monitor bezels spacing, you adjust the outer two screens inward until all three screens line up as if the bezels werent splitting them up. This takes away from the outermost screens. Key is to get monitors with as small of bezels as possible to minimize this. You wouldnt need to worry of course if using projectors.

I did have a lot of issues when I first got my unit and was using some old CRTs with the DVI adapters. Once I got all my new monitors (all with DVI connections), I stopped having the issues. Also had problems connecting through USB hub and ended up putting right to one of my mb ports. Finally, there was a firmware update needed which I had to request (they dont post it). Just some small nuiances but over all I am thrilled with the final outcome.

XOrionFE
08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
One more thing to know if you get TH2GO.

All of the runway lighting and aircraft outside lighting will be bloated and miserable looking. I messed with this for a long time and finally got frustrated and started googling around and finally found the fix. There is a post by Philb737 on this forum related to the issue. you can also google Brian Neitzels and aht5.zip. Once I made these changes all was good again in the world.

Scott

jr2008
09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I Have TH2GO with an 8800GTS nvidia, it works very fine, but i want to know if i can put another Graphics Card (I've an ATI RADEON 2600 HD PRO ) in my remain PCI-E empty slot for instruments. It's possible?
Thanks
:roll:

jr2008
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I have TH2Go-D with GTS 8800 on a 2.4GHz quadcore, with every slider maxed on FS9 with PMDG on XP pro, it easily achieves 40FPS and is absolutely smooth as silk even with heavy weather running.

Gwyn
I've the same configuration (H2Go-D with GTS 8800 on a 2.4GHz quadcore)
How do you manage the instruments displs?. Via Networked PC ? or via second graphics card? Do you use the remain DVI of nvidia card for this?

Thanks

GDR
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me on how I can change the views on my monitors?

I've just installed a TH2GO-Dig with 2 screens. (Will use it later to attach 3 projectors to create a 220 FOV).

Now I'm having the FWD Left window on the left screen and the Front Window (capt) on the right.

I trying to get the Capt. window on the left and F/O on the right so that the center bezels are in the middle of the cockpit.