PDA

View Full Version : Have to share this with you!!!

Matt Olieman
06-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I can't begin to tell everybody how excited I am about this panel, I just have to share my experience with you.

The Airbus Flap Panel / Mechanism is not something that is available to buy, let alone any other panels from newer Airbus versions. There's only one panel manufacturer (for our hobby), who produces most of the Airbus panels. The sets are not complete and mostly without mechanisms. Airbus parts are just hard to come by :(

About 6 months ago I had the opportunity, to have in my hand, a sample Boeing EFIS panel, made by Ken Weiland of www.Dakenskys.com I was absolutely amazed at its accuracy, compared to the real panel, in every way.

Of course my wheels started to turn, I've been struggling to make my Flap, Spoiler and Brake panels, an intricate part of the sim experience. These are items many of my fellow Airbus Sim Builders, dream of getting their hands on :)

I asked Ken if he would be interested in providing these precious items to the "Airbus Sim Builders." The answer came within 24 hours, Ken shared with me a preliminary drawing of the Flap Panel/Mechanism. That to me, meant he'll do it :)

Over the next several months Ken shared with me drawings and pictures of his progress. I was utterly amazed at the painstaking time Ken committed to make this product perfect.

Last week the Beta Flap Panel/Mechanism arrived, look for yourself........

http://ifsbi.org/photos/Flap-side-rr.jpg
http://ifsbi.org/photos/Flap-006-rr.jpg

This "baby" came complete with lighting. All you have to do is supply 5Vdc and a Potentiometer that is ready to be wired into your interface. The mechanism action is identical to the real thing.

It gets better yet...... Ken asked me what I thought the selling price of this item should be. This was difficult for me to come up with, since I know how much time he's spent on this panel. I know how HARD this item is to come by. I've asked some of my fellow builders how much they would be willing to pay for this panel. All said between $400 and $600.

Ken has not publicly priced this item yet; you will be "DELIGHTFULLY AMAZED." A far cry from the price those builders suggested they would be willing to pay.

I'm looking forward to Ken's development of the "Spoiler" and "Brake" Panel/mechanisms.

W9XE/Project777
06-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Matt

This really looks nice. The quality is evident from the pictures. Look forward to seeing Ken and what he brings to Denver. :D

ekezz
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Maybe Ken can raise the price and throw in a discount for IFSBI members :twisted:

But seriously, this is an amazing piece of craftmanship. We are going to see many more beautiful products.

dnoize
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
An amazing piece !

And it looks absolutely beautifull in your set up !

Compliments to the both of you !!!!

Stef

Matt Olieman
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Just an update.....

Ken @ Dakenskys just posted the price of the fully assembled flap unit. WOW!!!!!! $185.00 What a bargain Can't wait for the other panels )

BTW, I've beat the heck out of the panel/mechanism, I've got about 50 short flights, it hasn't failed in any way... I'm HAPPY

W9XE/Project777
06-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Matt

I am looking forward in meeting Ken at Denver. I have a feeling there could be some real surprises their. The DakenSkys site has been very quiet for sometime.

Received my new Nikon D50 camera today. Looking forward to many pictures at IFC

Bob Reed
06-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey Matt, how is it going? I was looking at the pic and I have a question. You have added something to the sim... What is the button in front of the control stick?

Matt Olieman
06-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Bob.... you don't miss a thing.... hey Bob :)

It's a volume control for some additional speakers.

W9XE/Project777
06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
and I was going to say a bomb release button :lol:

Matt Olieman
06-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Well....... :wink: we can always jank on the cord and pretend....... B52 here I come..... :lol: Bombs awaaaaayyyyyyy :shock:

dnoize
06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
hmmm B52 ? ....matt...you are finally getting sensible and start flying Boeing ? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Stef

AndyT
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Boeing did'nt make the B52 did they?
B on military planes means 'Bomber'.

dnoize
06-23-2006, 02:08 PM
yes they did:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B52

Stef

Matt Olieman
06-23-2006, 05:04 PM