PDA

View Full Version : my questions about cockpits

grumman_gooser
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
i have a list of questions aside my last thread.

1. how long could it take to build one for a cessna by a newbie?
2. since i am planning on making one (i might use plywood for the cessna body), how can i round the corners where the wood meets each peice? or what kind of material should i use?
3. anyone know how to use acuators to simulate g-forces and turns to make the plane lean the when you, say, throttle up and down and bank?
4. how can i use one computer to control 2 monitors?

AndyT
08-15-2008, 03:12 AM
Let me try and answer some of these.

1. how long could it take to build one for a cessna by a newbie?

This could take as little as 1 week or as long as a year. It depends on how much time and effort you put into it. A reasonable time frame with some purchased items would be 6 months to have a nice sim.

2. since i am planning on making one (i might use plywood for the cessna body), how can i round the corners where the wood meets each peice? or what kind of material should i use?

How much do you know about carpentry? If you go to the public library and check out a book on finish carpentry and joins you will find some great answers on this.

3. anyone know how to use acuators to simulate g-forces and turns to make the plane lean the when you, say, throttle up and down and bank?

We have a section in the forums dedicated to answering this very question. Read thru it carefully and you will discover all sorts of different ways to accomplish this.

4. how can i use one computer to control 2 monitors?

This is pretty easy. Use a video card built for two monitors. But I would suggest a really good video card and three monitors and a Matrox TripleHead to Go adapter.

grumman_gooser
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
thanks. my dad does know about carpentry and he said he'll probrobly help out. i plan on putting this little box in the panel that has all the light and fuel pump switches and the starter with removable keys. i forgot who made it but i know it a model 1010. to get him to help, i just need to pass him the keys once in a while.

grumman_gooser
08-15-2008, 01:58 PM
by the way. since i am going to move to TX in about 6 months, i am going to find an aircraft junkyard and take apart the door of a cessna and take out the locking mechanism and key lock to put them into my door to make it more "real".

AndyT
08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Thats a good idea.
You might think about just buying the shell of an old cessna and building up inside it.

grumman_gooser
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM
hmmm.... wouldnt a real shell be too big? and anyway, i want to build it personal.;) i am thinking about extending the fuselage back a little more to put my virtual planes tail number on it.

AndyT
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, it all depends on how much room you have for your sim.

If you have the room, I'd go for the real shell. Nothing like having the real deal to give you that extra feeling of reality. And you can still build it to your custom specs on the inside.

grumman_gooser
08-15-2008, 05:27 PM
well... i am going to build it in my garage after i move to texas. then transport it to the gameroom. any ideas on how to keep nosey brothers out?:D i am also wondering how to fit a real door on in case i want to jst buy a real door. thinking about buying one and cutting it down to fit.

AndyT
08-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Belive it or not, its easier to build them 'real' size.

grumman_gooser
08-16-2008, 01:43 AM
how so? doesnt seem easier.

AndyT
08-16-2008, 02:36 AM
Because all the various parts you can buy are already sized for 'real' planes.

grumman_gooser
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
hmmm.... where should i cut it off at to avoid gas tanks and main supports, if any? by real size, do you mean that everything that you need for a cockpit is full scale size? i might do that cause then i dont have to worry about wood, splinters, and fabricating.

AndyT
08-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Yes, Full Scale Size.
The gas tanks are in the wings.

I would suggesy you go to your local flight school and take the intro flight for $30-$50. Ask tons of questions. What you learn will help you out a huge amount in building your sim.

grumman_gooser
08-16-2008, 05:17 PM
so when i build one, if were to go and build it with wood, it would have to be the same size as a real cockpit? if so, then ill just go and decap a cessna

grumman_gooser
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
well... i guess i will be using the full size. anyone have any dementions of a real cockpit? it needs to be small enough to fit into a garage. after i get what im looking for, i will first do an inspection of it to make sure its not rusted all over. and then i will find a good hiding place for my comp. then repaint it to a white with silver, blue and gold stripes. and then get started on building it. im gonna make it a 2 seater with locking doors and acuators to simulate g forces. might even get some 2007 cessna seats if i can find some or some mastercraft seats.

AndyT
08-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Nothing HAS to be the same or full size. Its just easier that way.
But you can make your sim fit onto a small desk like I have. If I had a garage you can bet you would find a full size cockpit on a motion platform in there. I'll build an extension for the car if I have to....

BEFORE you start building, decide on how much room in the garage you can use and then draw some plans. This is a very critical step and should not be skipped. Most home built projects would cost less, build faster and look better if everyone drew up some good plans before they started building. And that's not only cockpit builders. That's ANY kind of homebuilt project.