PDA

View Full Version : Kennair Throttle Update

Kennair
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Just picked up my throttle knobs from Gwyn (Westozy) and thought I'd share the build so far. The throttles are taking up quite a bit of time, and so they should considering their importance.

As can be seen Gwyn turned me up a fine pair of knobs complete with pushbutton switches and I set about mounting them to the handles. I routed slots in them to fit on my handles and fixed them with hot glue as it seems to stick well and can be removed if necessary. Time will tell how durable it is though. I drilled a hole down through the handle and routed slots though the handle body to run the wiring.

I also completed the reversing levers and mechanism. Basically a plastic cam butts up against the body support rod when in throttle idle and when the levers are lifted, the cam moves out the way allowing the throttles to move through the reversing range. Springs return the cam to the idle position when the handles are moved forward again. Fishing trace wire was used to connect the levers to the cam which was also run through the handle body.

As can be seen this throttle is unlike anything you'd find in the real world but I'm not out to recreate a real aircraft, I've always been about multi-purpose flight training. This throttle should serve any single and twin, piston or turbine aircraft from a C172 to a 787 (and of course a PC12).

And once again, my thanks to Gwyn for all his help and advice.

Ken.

paulj
08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
looking great Ken. Like your cam idea sounds nice and simple, but I guess you put a lot of time and effort into it.

Paul

Matt Olieman
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Nice work Ken, fascinating mechanism :) :) And as always Gwyn's work looks great.

Thanks for sharing :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

Joe Cygan
08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Ken great job!!!

Michael Carter
08-10-2008, 04:50 PM
That looks great Ken. Scratchbuilding anything takes awhile to get it correct and functional.

Took the better part of six months to build the 727 throttle.

Per Alm
08-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Looks really great!!

/ Per Alm

Tony Hill
08-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Looking good Ken. I'll have to get up there to see it"in the flesh"