PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a networked machine

Tomlin
08-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi guys

A Few days ago I had issues with Real VNC not connecting to a client that runs my copilot PMRJ software. I ignored it and turned it off manually by holding the switch till it turned off and then the next day I noticed when booting the sim's 3 PCs, it was not showing the PMRJ software now as active. It's loaded, Wideclient, all that software due to being correctly booted, but it's not connecting to the network, hence the reason the displays are not coming alive when I turn on the Avionics switch.

It still works fine on the Pilot's displays- how does a PC just lose connectivity like this randomly? Im having an impossible time getting it to connect now and hope to get it sorted soon. What should I check to get it back into the network.

BTW, the NIC is new and was working fine the other day and in My Network Places it shows it's sending data, but not recieving.

WTD?

Rodney
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Actually happens alot more than most imagine. Check your cables, ports for lights at the nic and switch. Have them? then ping the machine. Use pconfig /all in a command prompt to see what is being broadcast from the nic. If you are using DHCP, most likely got a new address and the line in your software doesn't match. Hope you get it sorted out.

oal331
08-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Try also to "repair" network connection, with right click in network image in task bar.

Eddie

vpilot
08-09-2008, 06:23 AM
You have Windows XP running on the pc's?
I've had similar connectivity problems, which (I found after a long time of troubleshooting) were caused by the Windows firewall! You might want to make sure it's disabled.
I've even seen this happen on Windows 2003 servers... go figure.

Tomlin
08-09-2008, 07:33 AM
You have Windows XP running on the pc's?
I've had similar connectivity problems, which (I found after a long time of troubleshooting) were caused by the Windows firewall! You might want to make sure it's disabled.
I've even seen this happen on Windows 2003 servers... go figure.

That's actually a good suggestion, because as I came out here to the hangar last night and fired up the PCs and all, the connectivity was good to go again. Strange...

And you know, that sorta stuff only happens when you have someone over for a training flight or to show it off.

Michael Carter
08-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Boy, don't I know it. I had my first visitor over who was slightly pressed for time.

I had left the sim (aircraft) running on the last shutdown. I bring up the aircraft and I had inadvertanly knocked a wire loose on the input card for the #1 throttle while working on the cockpit shell. He didn't have time for me to do a total restart so we left on two engines.

The outcome wasn't pretty.

Next time I'll be better prepared.

Tomlin
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
That's like having a compressor stall right on rotation in that old bird. If you got it off the ground, fair play to ye.

Hey, I figured out the problem. I THOUGHT that I had set up the network for Auto IP to be disabled but somehow it came back. I wasnt connecting on one of the clients due to it needing to be connected to the Internet/router back in the house vs. just the LAN in the hangar.

Sorted for now!