PDA

View Full Version : BUDGETS!

dodiano
04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys talking with some of the guys I was wondering what do most of you guys have for planned budgets?? If you have one or how you manage your finances for your projects really curious about this! I mean I´m planning on a $5000 budget from what I already have which most will go on a second computer, the shell and the planned Overhead and hardware for it!!

Take care,

Roberto

ekezz
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
From one of my older stories in the forum you can calculate how much I have spent so far.

At present I want to spend a max of 100 euro per month, but the CPflight MIP board coming out didn't help staying on target (an overshoot, you could say). And then I wanted some switches from Engravity to hook up to my two new Phidgets.
Come to think of it, this does add up to approx 400 euro, and being end of april I'm exactly on the glideslope!

I want to spend more but we had car trouble and had to replace it so this year will be slow, unless I get a nice bonus, hehehe. :lol:

Without this 'event' you could say that I would have decided on the Engravity Overhead panel this year, including switches etc.

Budget would then be 2500 Euro per year.

dodiano
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
LOL!! No kidding, It´s always something else coming out! I still think I can manage to do it with the Budget I´m targeting I hope so!

Roberto

Bob Reed
05-18-2006, 04:43 PM
One of the things to be careful of when putting a "budget" together for your project is not to look at the overall cost!! THis will kill a project before it gets started. Not too many of us have spent what we have invested all at once. In fact mine has been over about 7 years. Do I have a lot invested? Yes.. But break that down over 7 years and it is not too bad for a hobby at all! I would have probably spent the same amount or more for like golf! And I know I have not spent as much per year as I did when I was flying RCs! I try ( and it is not too hard) to spend some every month on it. If I have a more expensive thing I want, I save a few months for it and or sell something I am no longer using to get the money. Time and hard work will make this a very enjoyable hobby if you do not concentrate on the down side of things.

AndyT
06-18-2006, 03:29 AM
I also have to budget not just my sim, but my real flying also. That costs me $200 / month so that only leaves me a small amount to spend on my sim. My wife still doesnt get it, but she allows me my fun as long as I dont overspend.

dodiano
06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Yeah real flying is turning expensive due to Gas prices going high! Are you making a career out of it or just flying for fun??

Regards,

Roberto

AndyT
06-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I've already had one career in the computer industry and I gave that up. Its time to do something else. I think flying would be a great new career! Now I just have to find someone who will hire me at my age. :lol:

dodiano
06-18-2006, 02:23 PM
How old are you my friend?

Roberto

ekezz
06-18-2006, 04:41 PM
It's never too late to pursue your dream :D
I have heared of a person who took flying lessons as a second career and transferred through some airlines and all of a sudden he was 747 captain. Amazing but true. And now he is a MD11 capt and flies to the Caribbean. Not bad.
So go for it!

AndyT
06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
I am 44 now.

dodiano
06-18-2006, 07:59 PM
GO FOR IT MAN!! Better dye trying than never try at all... Plus the boom in ASIA is going yo need tons of pilots GO FOR IT!!

Westozy
06-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Me too, just save for the big bits whilst increasing detail or planning the next part to make. It's a fortnightly spend regardless of how long it goes. I sure prefer it to the buzz of an hour in a Cessna at AUD$200/hr. I get a months simbuilding for that!!! Next the projector because my NG Flys at last..........yee ha.

Gwyn

Tomlin
07-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just HAVE to comment on it. One thing that I failed to mention in my 'newcomers' thread a few days ago was my issue with the 'sim budget'. One thing I have learned is to not focus on how much it's going to cost in the long run, as mentioned above, but focus on buying what you can afford now and find ways to keep flying and to get more money for the project. Im going to outline the tremendous start of my project for others to come along one day and read about possibly, or if not, just for the fun of writing it all out.

1) I bought Project Magenta RJ software before it went up on price, but never had a desire to use it or register it because I knew I hadnt the money to buy anything else really like panels or whatnot. (we just bought our house in November 9 months ago).
2) I have had a CH yoke and pedals for almost two years now.
3) I had an older PC just sitting around not being used, as well as a old Geforce 5500fx card
4) I had real Boeing pedals, tiller, and adjustment handles just sitting.

Somehow, I just one day two weeks ago realized that I could:

1) Put the old non used video card in the non used pc to run PMRJ on
2) Sell my Boeing stuff and buy an FDS interface card
3) Have a family member help me modify my yoke to fit on a column
4) Build a temp MIP to just hold the switches till the L45 or my own panels are developed to just get the hang of system logic and function
5) Go ahead and build a base for the sim and find seats and start building the throttle for the project at a friend's shop
6) Borrow a non used LCD projector from my church

After bringing my brother into the project, I also discovered that he can help me build proper thrust levers and a center pedestal box with tools he has access to out of steel and aluminum.

Then, I was offered for free a PC that now I can run PMRJ First Officer on, and what's more, I found a great video card upgrade at Amazon for very little to help FS run even better!

What's the point? Well, we cant (and probably shouldnt) have all of the parts to build a complete simulator at one time. I used to spend HOURS figuring out how much it would cost to build the 737NG to the specs that I deemed needed. Guess what? I realized that I didnt or couldnt ever spend that much, and no way was I going to back off of the specs that I set for it. SO, I changed aircraft. For some reason or another, Im very happy with changing to a corporate aircraft.

Anyhow, start small and buy what you can and never stop flying during the build process. If so, you will burn out quickly.

Westozy
07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Slow and easy wins the race! My sim owes me AUD$6,500 all up, nearly finished, it can be done at low cost by good scrounging for parts and DIY! I have been offered AUD$15,000 for it but it isn't for sale just yet. I have always seen every spend as recoverable so I don't worry about it too much, it is an expensive hobby but at the end of the day, it's only the price of an old used car! My article in the upcoming September Computer Pilot discusses budget building.

Gwyn

Michael Carter
07-13-2007, 09:50 PM
I have no budget for my sim. I spend what I can afford and when I can afford it.

After I calculated the cost of all of the analog instruments I need to get my MIP up and running, I never did that again.

I don't care what I have invested in this thing and I'd rather not even know. It must be at least a couple of thousand + by now. I figure another 3-4 thousand should get me a pretty decent 727...but like I said, I'm not figuring anymore.

Yankee737
07-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Like a few of you, I don't have a "budget" per se, either. I made a deal with my wife that I'd spend what I can when I can, and that at no time would it even be "noticed" that I was spending it.

Little bits at a time. As was mentioned, do WHAT you can WHEN you can.